Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Time to Engage?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #21
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
Wait, Why is that Old School? I put it in neutral everytime when i go to 4hi or 4lo... Does toyota really say you can just throw it in 4hi while in drive? That goes against everything i was tought... And im only 20?!...
it's old school cause on some older trucks you have to put it in neutral, put in in 4lo or high, get out, flip up the back seat, get your tire tool, turn the front hubs, get back in the truck, put in in reverse and roll back to lock it in gear, put in back in your forward gear to go. . . . and the whole concept of less moving parts when i engage something just makes me feel better no matter how much research i do on these trucks trannys, difs, and transfer cases.

edit: and the reason i say it's old school, is because with the new technology and how our front diff works with our transfer case it's theoretically always ready to be engaged without damaging parts. someone feel free to correct me if you disagree.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
it's old school cause on some older trucks you have to put it in neutral, put in in 4lo or high, get out, flip up the back seat, get your tire tool, turn the front hubs, get back in the truck, put in in reverse to lock it in gear, put in back in your forward gear to go. . . . and the whole concept of less moving parts when i engage something just makes me feel better no matter how much research i do on these trucks trannys, difs, and transfer cases.
This.

I just think back to the old days with my 1985 4Runner and manual hubs. Makes me realize that if I don't have the time to put my truck in neutral and flip my fancy switch (when I had my 4WD trucks), I need to loosen up my schedule.

Fink
Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wish we had manual hubs sometimes

But I've found it actually engages much smoother when shifted on the fly. When in neutral and stopped, the light just blinks and it won't engage. The 4wd system is set up to be put in 4wd while moving, just make sure your back tires aren't spinning when you flip the switch, you want all tires moving the same speed. Also, 4wd Hi can be used even at highway speed. I drove the better part from Plattsburgh to Albany, about 3.5 hours in 4wd the whole time. If you're spinning and sliding around, it's plenty slippery enough to 4wd.

I agree with Fink, 200 lbs is a good amount of weight and I usually put it against the front of the bed.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #24
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I wish we had manual hubs sometimes

But I've found it actually engages much smoother when shifted on the fly. When in neutral and stopped, the light just blinks and it won't engage. The 4wd system is set up to be put in 4wd while moving, just make sure your back tires aren't spinning when you flip the switch, you want all tires moving the same speed. Also, 4wd Hi can be used even at highway speed. I drove the better part from Plattsburgh to Albany, about 3.5 hours in 4wd the whole time. If you're spinning and sliding around, it's plenty slippery enough to 4wd.

I agree with Fink, 200 lbs is a good amount of weight and I usually put it against the front of the bed.
I never had a problem with the light just blinking...maybe I just slowed down a lot?

Fink
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
I never had a problem with the light just blinking...maybe I just slowed down a lot?

Fink

I grew up with those old school 4wd shifting procedures also and when I tried it on this truck, it wouldn't engage until I put it in drive or reverse. 75% of the time it would just sit there and blink at me in neutral. When driving though, it would always just go right into 4wd so that's what I do now.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I grew up with those old school 4wd shifting procedures also and when I tried it on this truck, it wouldn't engage until I put it in drive or reverse. 75% of the time it would just sit there and blink at me in neutral. When driving though, it would always just go right into 4wd so that's what I do now.
It's been a few years since I had my '07 so I imagine I just slowed down to go into 4H and obviously went into neutral for 4L.

I still miss the days of the manual transfer case.

Fink
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Good Advice I wouldn't either with the add hubs.. I engaged my transfer case at 45 with no front driveshaft and it went smoothly, made me more comfortable with it.
One time I slowed down to engaged 4wd...then I remembered I dont have 4wd so I floored it