Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

v6 manual 13-14 mpg

Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #41
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
35mpg that's BS! unless is falling out of the sky. Just one more time 35MPG wait santa is at the door & the playboy girls have to give me a bath so I will be back soon
I wounldnt be so doubtful, some members with I4s on here have done a certain computer chip mod that brought them up into the 30mpg range for 4x4s, some of the 5 luggers were reaching 35-37mpg. If I find out more info on the chips and a good reliable source that proves that they boost the mileage up that much, I will be getting one installed on my 2.7 no questions asked.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
The thread is about 4x4 v6 manuals. Not I4 whatevers. 18.5 is the best I have seen and driving it like that I might as well have bought the I4 since it would be faster and still get better mpg.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #43
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
30+ MPG is easy in the I4. I guarantee I could get 23-25 MPG out of a stock V6 Tacoma with a manual trans. It's all about your driving technique, and performing some minor modifications.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #44
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 AC tx pro 4x4 w/the 6 speed and average about 17 mpg. I shift under 3k rpm, try not to go over 65 for too long, and start out slow at stop lights.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #45
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBuckets View Post
The thread is about 4x4 v6 manuals. Not I4 whatevers. 18.5 is the best I have seen and driving it like that I might as well have bought the I4 since it would be faster and still get better mpg.
I only derailed it slightly just to make a point. The Ecomodder forum could be helpful to all Tacomas, but especially 4x4 V6s.

David K, there is SO much info on there, it all depends on what you're interested in doing. Some that I personally enjoy are....

1.) Under-body plates, similar to the off-roading ones, similar to the cat protection ones, but used with the idea of cutting down drag. You can use anything from core-plast to steel, and make their coverage as extensive as you want.

2.) Keep rim width to stock (advice is to go the thinner the better, but for every-day traction, I'm just keeping with stock width)

3.) Light-weight PVC (or similar) bars that go over the bed. 4-5 pieces of parallel-to-the-cab PVC pipe create more vortexes within the bed. I haven't tried this one yet.

4.) Angled bed-covers instead of the standard box-like ones.

I could on. Remove mud flaps, install mod chips, get an ELM327, accelerate slowly, leave a large gap between you and the car in front so that you minimize your braking ("converting gas into brake dust"), etc etc etc.

This will be more interesting if you read through the information and find what YOU like best.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #46
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
The AC comes on if you have it on defrost or Def/floor. That will hurt MPG in town.
I think that's a crap design. Where I am, defrost is on a lot.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #47
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I have a 2011 AC tx pro 4x4 w/the 6 speed and average about 17 mpg. I shift under 3k rpm, try not to go over 65 for too long, and start out slow at stop lights.
I'm 3k in 1-to-2nd and 2-2.5k in 2nd+

My husband likes to drive by RPM instead of MPH, within reason. On the highway, he keeps his I4 (I know, I know, but it can help the V6's too!) at 2,200 RPM, which in Texas Hill Country, puts him at 62-67mph. I keep my V6 at 2k, which puts me 60-65mph. Our ELM327's are on the way, so we can say with confidence whether this has an impact or not.

Another rule of thumb I collected is to keep RPMs within 1/3rd of your redline when settling into a gear. I take this with a grain of salt, but for those who may be shifting and cruising at 1/2 your red-line, maybe it's something to try.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
35mpg that's BS! unless is falling out of the sky. Just one more time 35MPG wait santa is at the door & the playboy girls have to give me a bath so I will be back soon

that's funny right there +1
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #49

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I wounldnt be so doubtful, some members with I4s on here have done a certain computer chip mod that brought them up into the 30mpg range for 4x4s, some of the 5 luggers were reaching 35-37mpg. If I find out more info on the chips and a good reliable source that proves that they boost the mileage up that much, I will be getting one installed on my 2.7 no questions asked.
x2!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
wow my 95 v6 sr5 4x4 got a little over 20mpg last time i calculated it...

you drive crazy accelerate hard and stop hard

yes, i drive like a granny to conserve fuel, the one tank i didnt, it showed, i think i got around 15 mpg
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #51
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
05 DC 4x4. 265/75/16

I just recently moved and where I am now I am getting 13 mpg. Pisses me off. I am losing 100+ miles a tank. A big reason for the move was shorter commute but I am paying more for gas now just driving around the city. I am paying $80 a tank for 91 octane to go a stupid 225 miles. very weak.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #52
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I think that's a crap design. Where I am, defrost is on a lot.
It is a crap design - if the driver knows how to manage your HVAC controls to keep the windows clear.

If driver doesn't, well, at least those idiots can see.

It's an easy mod to disable that feature, however. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #53

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Coming from a dude who drives the V6, I can understand why this seems like such a stretch. I don't dream of getting 35mpg out of my V6 any day soon either. 35mpg applies to I4 5-speeds only, but as JimmyB pointed out, this probably isn't the thread to explore that topic further.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #54
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
30+ MPG is easy in the I4. I guarantee I could get 23-25 MPG out of a stock V6 Tacoma with a manual trans. It's all about your driving technique, and performing some minor modifications.
I don't buy it. At least not safely. If you're shutting off the engine on long downhill coasts, that's just not safe for anyone. But it is a technique a lot of hypermilers use. Also as others have said, if you're driving the v6 that gingerly to save fuel, the you might as well trade in for the I4. All the weight of the 4wd components doesn't help either. A 2wd is a whole different beast.

In my old 4Runner, I just held the clutch in ever chance I got to coast (and living in the mountains, that's a whole lot). Got great mileage. But with the sensitive throwout bearing on the 6-speed, it's not such a good idea as the cost to replace a failure on that bearing will suck up any savings you had on fuel. Trying to keep shifts under 2500 rpm and skipping gears can help. Also get an Ultragauge or Scangauge. One guy who was getting 20+ out of his 6-speed mentioned that he's in 6th gear by 40mph, and always keeps it under 65 on the highway. The manual gets killed in stop & go and above 65. Between 15-65 seems to be it's sweet spot. You can achieve 20+ regularly in there.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
It is a crap design - if the driver knows how to manage your HVAC controls to keep the windows clear.

If driver doesn't, well, at least those idiots can see.

It's an easy mod to disable that feature, however. Takes 5 minutes.
Got a link to that mod?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #56

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
wow my 95 v6 sr5 4x4 got a little over 20mpg last time i calculated it...

you drive crazy accelerate hard and stop hard

yes, i drive like a granny to conserve fuel, the one tank i didnt, it showed, i think i got around 15 mpg
Check and mate, non-believers. If it wasn't for her sig img., this would be my new best friend. 'Course, now the haters will pick apart the 1st gen.... :P
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #57
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
its photoshopped, long story, more of a smarta** thing, and mine isnt the first gen

its a pickup 95, not 95.5 taco

3.sl0 baby!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #58
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
http://ecomodder.com/

I highly recommend this site. There are Tacomas on here getting an average of 35mpg+ without any external mods, but instead just simple changes in driving habits. Perhaps the info on here could help push your 4x4 V6 into the 20's range.

Personally, we're shooting for an average of 35mpg+ with our I4 and 25mpg+ with our V6.

One example is the wider your rims, the worse the fuel mileage, so if you went from stock 7" to after market 9", prepare to see a drop in mpgs.

that website is a joke. Save fuel by removing door handles, windshield wipers, rear wheel skirts, removing side view mirrors, removing your alternator, etc. The list goes on.

If this works for you great, but I didnt buy a truck to be a pussy.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #59
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Got a link to that mod?
Here is a write up Note, on the 2009+ Tacos, you need to do this.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #60

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by [eric] View Post
that website is a joke. Save fuel by removing door handles, windshield wipers, rear wheel skirts, removing side view mirrors, removing your alternator, etc. The list goes on.

If this works for you great, but I didnt buy a truck to be a pussy.
Just gotta find what works for you.

Do you have the cat cover? Bam, that's something on the list.
Low-profile rear bumper? Just decreased your drag.

Those two sound pretty bad-ass to me...

And x2 to MountainEarth's tire comment below. And no, you don't have to be castrated into pussy tires, just think it through and get what you're going to use most. If you're running around in a commuter with the biggest, baddest off-road tires you could find, well, you deserve your crappy mileage for being so concerned with your image as it sits in the office parking lot.