Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

v6 manual 13-14 mpg

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
v6 manual 13-14 mpg

I have a 2010 Sr5 extended cab 4x4 all stock and have been seeing 13 to 14 mpg for the last bunch of tanks. I realize the manual is only rated 14 city and 18 hwy but this is pretty retarded. The truck has right under 10k miles on it. Anyone else seeing this with their manual v6? I got about the same mpg in my 04 six liter Chevy 2500. It would be one thing if this had the 5.7 in it...any ideas?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
check your air filter, winter gas , tire pressure, lead foot? Is this all city, are you hauling anything?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
If you figure it out, lemme know.

What are your current driving habits? (shift pattern, RPMs, speeds, etc.)
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
tombiosis is on a distinguished road

Name: T
tombiosis's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya...been posting on the Canadian thread on this...I am getting way worse than most on fuelly.com...2005 automatic TRD OR access cab, 265/75/R16 BFG At's...aftermarket CAI,
I'm getting about 15.7L per 100km's...or about 420Km per tank...at today's prices it costs almost 20 bucks to go 100 km's
Haven't done the conversion, but pretty bad compared to most Tacos on the fuelly site.
Still wouldn't trade...love my truck.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
I do 18-19 in the city, assuming I can keep my foot off the floor and traffic isn't shitty. The AC comes on if you have it on defrost or Def/floor. That will hurt MPG in town.

Don't coast in neutral - keep it in gear/downshift and let the engine brake you. Also, check your tire inflation and check if a brake is hanging up.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your speed down 35PSI in the tires skip gears unless you need the power put a block of wood under the gas pedal. I usually do 400 miles per tank empty and 225 or less pulling my camper at 75 so speed and weight makes a big difference.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch. Like others have said, check air filter & tire pressures. With only 10K miles, unless you're on dirt roads daily, the air filter shouldn't be too bad. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
07 AC TRD 4x4 25K Miles All stock except tires.

I tracked it for a few months and my long term average was right around 19MPG (Imperial, not US). City and highway mix.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds about right my Bro gets 15 mpg with only a bfg upgrade .
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
2006 TRD V6 6speed. I am running 89 octane, have a cab high campershell. Truck is stock with highway tread tires, 40 psi tire pressure.

If I stay out of the throttle, I get 15 in town. On the highway I average 19 at 70mph. Start getting into the throttle around town and I drop to 14. I have seen 13 only once, and that was with 87 octane. The octane does make a difference on mine. My owner's manual recommends 91 octane.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
We just moved to a new area and there is a lot more stop and go. I would say I normally shift below 3k and run about 70-75 on the hwy. I have been running 87 after a long run on just 93. I was thinking getting tire pumped up a new air filter and switching back to 93 might help. But something tells me it won't make that much difference. It seems like to only way to get ok mpgs out of this truck is to shift at or below 2k and go 60 on the hwy...which totally sucks balls and makes me want to kill myself. I love driving it, but for fucks sake with the mpg.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
What were you expecting to get ? Now compared it to 13-14. times it by 16 . Is it that bad ? Try the new air filter , pumping up etc .
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
First Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
First Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would think the stick is better. I never buy auto's but did on the Taco
2011 access cab 4 by 4 TRD sport loaded prite mica which grows on you quick! I get 19.5 all the time mix city hwy. Love it!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
KingTaco91 is on a distinguished road

KingTaco91's Tacoma Gallery
13 - 14 Sounds pretty low. I remember when I first got mine I was getting about 15. I now have 23k miles on my 2011 6 spd 4x4 and consistantly get 17.5 to 18 mpg per tank. And this is driving through garbage traffic of downtown LA. Your mpg's should get better as you pile up the miles.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
canadaman is on a distinguished road
canadaman's Tacoma Gallery
That's about what I average with my 07 6 spd DC 4x4 TRD sport. Even if I drive like a grandma I can't break 20. I am honest with myself though. I take a true average over all kinds of driving....because thats how I drive. A tank of all highway may get 18mpg. A tank of city closer to 14mpg. Either way, I guess I didn't buy a truck for gas milage. If i wanted that I would have got a Jetta tdi or something similar. Its still brutal on the pockets though.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #16
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBuckets View Post
We just moved to a new area and there is a lot more stop and go. I would say I normally shift below 3k and run about 70-75 on the hwy. I have been running 87 after a long run on just 93. I was thinking getting tire pumped up a new air filter and switching back to 93 might help. But something tells me it won't make that much difference. It seems like to only way to get ok mpgs out of this truck is to shift at or below 2k and go 60 on the hwy...which totally sucks balls and makes me want to kill myself. I love driving it, but for **** sake with the mpg.
True. At 75 mph the truck is only averaging about 16-18mpg, so there's no chance to recuperate the fuel spent accelerating. Dropping to 65 mph will bump that up to about 22 or so. 6th gear is way too short.

For some reason going to 3k on this motor to shift really does use a lot of fuel. Chances are you're not using high engine load to land yourself in the lowest BSFC you can, which is part of why low rpm works better.

I shift at around 1800 and keep it over 19 mpg easily. I tried going to 2200 and even at the same engine load my fuel consumption average went down about a half a mpg.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
Wallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shedWallygater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard:
Wallygater's Tacoma Gallery
The gas mileage on the Tacoma is frustrating. Especially if you factor in that the 5.7 Crewmax Tundra gets the same or better. I have helped the gas mileage situation by not driving it as much and grouping my errands into one big round trip.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #18
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a V6 4x4 6 speed. I was getting around 19-20 mpg with my current set up (small lift and 265 70 17 duratracs).
Now that hunting season has started and I am taking more short trips and using 4x4 I am seeing around 17.
I consistenly shift under 2500 but I dont baby it either. I think the sweet spot is around 2100 rpms.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #19
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my 06 X-Runner I was getting about 14-15mpg,(gas was cheap then) but I drove it like I stole.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
3 inch lift 6 speed with Bf G's 265/70/17. All city and I get 17. Keep the rpm's below 2,000 and downshift.