Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

fuel mileage

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Tennessee is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 2ND CLASS
Tennessee's Tacoma Gallery
fuel mileage

So just wanted to pic some brains .. I had a 96 tacoma 4x4 V6 and got better fuel mileage out of it than my new 2011 4 door 4x4 . The 96 had 196K on it as well got the better part of 20 mpg . Any ideas on that one???
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
The 2011 is a larger, heavier truck with a larger, more powerful engine. What's not to understand?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Im so stoked, I got around 20MPG on my last tank Went over 400 miles BAM. But yah like its said, Bigger engine, Heavier truck.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i think if i'm lucky i get about 12, who knows.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
2010 DC V6 6-Speed

Regularly get 21-22 mpg. I do baby it most of the time.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Tennessee is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 2ND CLASS
Tennessee's Tacoma Gallery
Maticuno just because a engine is more powerful does not necessarly make it a fuel hog the ECM on the engine can shut down a few cylinders and run just fine. By the way why waste your time replying to .post if your gona be a smart ass about it. For all other posts thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the people who complain about MPGs have the 4 door models.More weight = less mpg.Put 600 lbs in the bed of any of these trucks and watch the mpgs go down.It seems that when a V6 pulls around heaver loads they suffer mpgs.I think a 4 door would get as good or better with a small V8.If you want good mpgs get a reg cab or excess cab if a 4 door is not needed.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
graywolf2011 is on a distinguished road
graywolf2011's Tacoma Gallery
Taco mileage

My 2011 only has around 1600 miles, but I am getting 19.5, I had an earlier Taco, 2005, it got around 17 with the 3.4L
Old 11-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't wasting my time. I answered your question. I just didn't sugar coat it. These trucks don't have variable cylinder management like the big V8s from other manufacturers.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
JasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasonJump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasonJump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
I think a 4 door would get as good or better with a small V8.If you want good mpgs get a reg cab or excess cab if a 4 door is not needed.
I totally agree with that, bigger engine in a mid size to push around not so much weight would def be better gas mileage. Now if Toyota would just throw a V8 in these suckers
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
You will see better mileage as your engine breaks in and managing the gas pedal.
The best mod is the right foot mod. Easy on the throttle & keep rpms around 2k.
My best mpgs came when I drove around 50-55 w/a V6 auto 4WD DC.
FWIW I avg the same gas usage w/ my new Tundra 4.6L as what I was getting with that Tacoma. Talk about weight. And I wish I bought the 5.7!

Asking about mpg on TW is like a buffet. Too many choices!
People live in all different terrain & altitude.
Trucks are MT, AT, 4 cyl, 6 cyl, prerunner, 5Lug, lifted, not lifted, stock or not stock tires, gas blends, driving habits, roof racks, camper shells and on and on and on.

OP congrats on the new truck, it looks like you made a huge jump from the 96 to 2011. Besides the mpg do you like the truck?