Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noise for heater fan

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
we'll see what the dealer says tommorrow. going in for the rear tsb and that cricket on crack. I'' keep everone posted.
Please let me know. I have the same thing. Took it to the dealer, and they said that there was some leaves in it. I got it back and its doing it again. I have an O5 myself. I plan on taking back next week.
An update would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #22
Gerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud ofGerry Pope has much to be proud of
Gerry Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks I'm getting ready to place an order. Hows the shipping time??
They shipped it next day and I received the order a day later..
No problems.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Please let me know. I have the same thing. Took it to the dealer, and they said that there was some leaves in it. I got it back and its doing it again. I have an O5 myself. I plan on taking back next week.
An update would be greatly appreciated.
you got it!!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #25
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
since nobody is replying to the other cabin filter thread ill post here too

i went to see how dirty my filter is, but i think its missing.. is it supposed to slide in here? or do the 05's not have a filter
this is an "option" on the truck, correct? if so, then every "non-equipped" taco would have a ticking noise if the noise was from debris gettng in the fan. there is a problem with the fan motors. mine does it as well and i know it's clean B/C i took it apart and cleaned everything out. i want to know what the origin of the motor is. and where does the FJ Cruiser's motor come from? never hear any of them complaining about noise. their HVAC must be Leaf & Pine Needle Proof.

toyota claims the cabin air is an "option" so they can charge for it, meanwhile ALL the 05+ taco's have a slot for a filter...it's just wether they "install" it for you or not. my dealer advertizes a cabin air filter change service for only 39.95!

Toyota needs to address this problem with a TSB for fan motor replacement.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #26
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Update!!!!!! I just took my truck to newark toyota in DE and they are replaceing the fan motor. They said the bering is going bad. Also they are doing the suspension TSB new springs and shocks. I don't really nedd the new shocks I just got my 5100s in today. They said they will charge me to put those on. I don't know why thet have to put new shocks on anyway. Atleast that damn chirping noise should go away and i will get my springs upgraded.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #27
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Update!!!!!! I just took my truck to newark toyota in DE and they are replaceing the fan motor. They said the bering is going bad. Also they are doing the suspension TSB new springs and shocks. I don't really nedd the new shocks I just got my 5100s in today. They said they will charge me to put those on. I don't know why thet have to put new shocks on anyway. Atleast that damn chirping noise should go away and i will get my springs upgraded.

Thanks man. More ammo for me when I take mine back the 2nd time. Question...do I need to be under factory warranty to get the suspension TSB done? I do have an extended warranty, but I dont know that it covers that.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #28
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
this is an "option" on the truck, correct? if so, then every "non-equipped" taco would have a ticking noise if the noise was from debris gettng in the fan. there is a problem with the fan motors. mine does it as well and i know it's clean B/C i took it apart and cleaned everything out. i want to know what the origin of the motor is. and where does the FJ Cruiser's motor come from? never hear any of them complaining about noise. their HVAC must be Leaf & Pine Needle Proof.

toyota claims the cabin air is an "option" so they can charge for it, meanwhile ALL the 05+ taco's have a slot for a filter...it's just wether they "install" it for you or not. my dealer advertizes a cabin air filter change service for only 39.95!

Toyota needs to address this problem with a TSB for fan motor replacement.
I've been driving around with no filter for who knows how long, and mine doesn't make any ticking noise
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #29
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
I've been driving around with no filter for who knows how long, and mine doesn't make any ticking noise
my point exactly. mine's had a filter since it left the factory, so how can any debris get into the fan? i need to make an appointment.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #30
If it flies it dies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Thanks man. More ammo for me when I take mine back the 2nd time. Question...do I need to be under factory warranty to get the suspension TSB done? I do have an extended warranty, but I dont know that it covers that.
Not sure about the warranty for the tsb. I Just traded my access cab O6 for the 96 dc I'm driving now and this one has 31000 miles on it. My last o6 had every damn thing in the tsb list. I was not aware of this site then. I would think if you had an extended warranty it should be covered, but I'm not sure. good luck
Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #31
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
my point exactly. mine's had a filter since it left the factory, so how can any debris get into the fan? i need to make an appointment.

good luck to ya
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #32
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ird-noise.html

I took my problems to the dealer and they ended up changing out the blower motor because of the noise.

No problems now.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #33

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i forgot to look, but i'll bet that little motor either says Hecho in Mexico, or GM on it somewhere.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #34
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this works, but I think I'm going to give it a try since I'm out of warranty. Definitely shows why replacing the blower motor has fixed it for others. Anybody else tried this?

From Toyotanation:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=19

Quote:
I've found the reason for the ticking sound. My dealer kept saying "normal" and "there are leaves in the fan". I kept telling them otherwise until I got pissed enough to just take apart the blower fan and see where EXACTLY the sound was coming from. The sound is coming from the metal faceplace which covers the wire spool around the spindle of the fan. the faceplace must be balanced properly because it holds in place the spindle which is rotating for the fan to blow. when the faceplace is off balance by one of two screws that holds it in place, the fan ticks like a MF'er....as you balance the plate, the tick goes away and is as quiet as a mouse.

#1 I took my glove box completely off making sure to release the springy thing first on the right side towards the passenger door and then just popped her out.

#2 I then got out my trusty ratchet with a 5.5mm socket and removed 3 screws on the underside of the blower....the fan will slide out easily. leave the wires attached (be careful as the fan is still runnin' lectric)

#3 let down the door that holds the cabin filter in and remove filter. now you can reach up in there and see if any of those mysterious leaves are present. blow it out with your air compressor or just root your hand around in there to get anything out.

#4 hold the black plastic fan housing in your hand carefully and reach over and turn your a/c on the low setting (BE CAREFUL as that thing is quick to get away from you and can take a nub off pretty quickly) make sure you can hear the sound coming from the assembly in your hand. If so, move to step #5.

#5 remove the covering with a phillips screwdriver (4 screws - i think) and remove that cover to reveal a silver metal cover with TWO (2) lubed screws. THESE ARE THE SCREWS THAT MUST BE BALANCED. Take a pair of vice grips and grab the black housing with them so you can get your hands away from the moving fan and so you can hold it steady. then use your phillips screwdriver on one of the two screws and notice how you can make the sound/tick worse as you tighten one of the screws.....too tight and the fan slows down and/or TICKS, too loose and the fan slows down....(spindle getting in a bind).

There is a point where the fan will turn fastest and the sound will disappear magically. You'll see what I'm talking about once you're in there adjusting the screws to find that perfect point.

#6 re-assemble and enjoy!

I hope this helps a few people that have this ANNOYING sound!

sometimes it just takes getting pissed off.....damn delphi.

Why didn't they have metal stoppers under those screws or not have the spindle held still by a moveable plate......argh....

I think that over time, those screws are backing out at different rates, which makes the spindle bind up and/or ticking sound occur......

We're Pregnant... check this link for a countdown.
Last edited by eyedoc : 01-19-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Not sure if this works, but I think I'm going to give it a try since I'm out of warranty. Definitely shows why replacing the blower motor has fixed it for others. Anybody else tried this?

From Toyotanation:

Dude, I hope that works...that will sure be my weekend project, because the ticking is driving me CRAZY!?!?!?!?!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #36
ap53 is on a distinguished road
Name: Art
ap53's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same noise I took the filter out and used compressed air to blow out any junk from the fan, for some reason small wooden stick was in there and was making this noise.
Not sure how the stick got in there because I had filter in there.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #37
ap53 is on a distinguished road
Name: Art
ap53's Tacoma Gallery
Noise is back, I think it's time for the new fan does any one have any links to good website that sales the fans.
I will try to balance the fan with those two screws and update every one if it worked.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #38
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
So I tried this and so far it seems to have worked. I didn't take the entire fan out. Only took off the plastic cover (4 phillips screws and 1 5.5mm hex). This way I could listen to it while in it's installed position, and no risk of loosing fingers. When I took the cover off, the fan didn't seem to tick anymore. So, I tightened up the two screws on the bottom of the fan motor anyway. Drove it with the cover off for two days with no ticking. The fan was much louder though with the cover off. Last night I put the cover back on and had the fan turned on while putting in the screws (4 phillips and the hex). I was listening for ticking while tightening the screws. TIP: Don't over-tighten the four phillips, they feel like they will strip the plastic easily. The last screw I put in I had to loosen a hair or else it started to tick. Drove around some last night, and it seemed to be ok.

Hopefully this has fixed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post

From Toyotanation:

Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #39
fehrski is on a distinguished road
fehrski's Tacoma Gallery
TSB for Blower Motor Sqealing/Ticking Noise

I have a 2006 TRD Double Cab with the awful, extremely annoying ticking, high pitched sound coming from the fan motor. It sounds likes there's a cricket inside the vents. I have had the fan motor replaced once already, but the sound came back again after about 6 months. Today was the last day of my extended warranty coverage and I took it in to the dealership and fully expected them to tell me that it was probably just a leaf that got in or that it wouldn't be covered under warranty - that's what this dealership told me the first time it happened and I brought the truck in to them. But, after they diagnosed it I got the good news that they are going to order me a new fan motor and that it would be covered by my extended warranty! I was actually shocked! It was to the point that I didn't want to go on any road trips because the noise would literally drive me insane! Anyways, I saw that the service guy had a Technical Service Bulletin on the problem and I asked him if I could have a copy of it so I could share it on here. So, to make a long story short...

November 18, 2009
Technical Service Bulletin: BLOWER MOTOR SQUEAL NOISE AT LOW AMBIENT TEMPERATURES
Models: '05-'10
"A newly designed blower motor has been made available to improve this condition."

Thank goodness they're finally making a new fan motor to remedy this annoying problem!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #40
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Nice! I had my dealer diagnose mine a little while back but havent had it installed yet, hope mine is the upgraded one.