Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Decisions... Grille Gurad? Bull Bar? Light Bar? Help!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
JBlood9 has a spectacular aura aboutJBlood9 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Decisions... Grille Gurad? Bull Bar? Light Bar? Help!

Alright guys, I'm trying to figure out what I want to add on here. I have about $400 to spend here on one of the above. Light Bar is a dead last out of these three, but it comes down to the $$.

What are some good Grille Guards ya'll have seen? Preferably one i can still mount some lights on. I like the Westin Sportsman series (40-1605). But, i am also swaying back to the Bull bar with a few lights mounted.

Ideas? Recommendations? Thanks TW -Jblood
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Grill guard - NO
Bull bar - Hell NO
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Grill guard - NO
Bull bar - Hell NO
x2
I used to have a Hunter Grille Guard and now have the NFab light bar. I like the light bar a lot better. The Hunter guard will be up for sale shortly actually...
Hunter, I think I paid $350ish for the stainless steel version and another $40 to upgrade to SS hardware

NFab, I paid around $120 for this through Amazon
Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
avid light bar!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have anything against the light bar, I just want the "protection" and look of the grille guard. I use my truck pretty good. lol
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlood9 View Post
I dont have anything against the light bar, I just want the "protection" and look of the grille guard. I use my truck pretty good. lol
It doesn't provide much protection. It's more of a damage multiplier. Hit anything of significance and they will bend.

I had a buddy with a warn brush guard on his jeep cherokee, he tried moving some logs (already cut down) and when he backed up in reverse, the brush guard bent out away from the jeep.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
If you want protection look at GoRhino. I had one of their 3000 series grill guards on my old truck and I hit a deer doing 45mph with little damage to the truck. However the guard was old and it bent. But it saved the truck. I have another one on order for my new truck. It also has a spot to add 2 lights to it.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It doesn't provide much protection. It's more of a damage multiplier. Hit anything of significance and they will bend.
Well put. Most grille guards are mostly for looks unless you go with something like a Ranch Hand. Those things are pretty damn stout.

Check out the Avid Light bar. Avid is a vendor on this site and offers a discount to TW members. It will offer some protection, provide mounting points for lights and isn't a traditional light bar in the sense you're thinking.
http://www.avidoffroad.com/
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

I had a buddy with a warn brush guard on his jeep cherokee, he tried moving some logs (already cut down) and when he backed up in reverse, the brush guard bent out away from the jeep.
If you want protection save your money and get a plate bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post

$1090 as pictured and have a lead time of a few months. About 65lbs though.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
^ Save your pennies and just wait a little longer. You're already at $400.

During your wait, you might even run into a used one for sale.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
im personally saving up for Demellos three hoop plate bumper If you dont like the look of plate bumpers maybe check out ARB?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They just cost way too much or that is what i would have without a doubt
It's better to wait for what you want than to settle for less.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Add another vote for light bar
Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
If you want protection save your money and get a plate bumper.

I agree....my bull bar is junk.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Theres really no way i can save that much for a bumper in college. Im lucky to have the possible $400 which is gonna be from Christmas. And if i did have 1K, id buy a benelli and not a bumper lol
Old 11-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Avid light bar, but if you're set on a grille guard I'd go with GoRhino, I had one of their 3000series bars on my tahoe and that thing was solid. could take a beating and it mounted up perfectly. Currently I plan on getting a full bumper now, after checking the prices I figure I'd just save up.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I have a bull bar and i like it. The majority of TW simply disapprove of bull bars. Its really only for looks and has no real protection to offer. If you dont like them then a Ranch Hand Grill guard looks pretty sweet. Both have slots for lights. A Light bar would also be something to consider as well. Just my .02

-Cam
Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
htowntaco23 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
htowntaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Why is everyone on TW so anti bull bar?