1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much brake pedal freeplay do you have?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whitster, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    Whitster

Whitster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    How much brake pedal free play do you have?

I just got my Certified '09 a few weeks ago and have been noticing that the brake pedal had a lot more free play than my '03 S-10.

Automatic, SR5, TRD idling in the garage in Park:

When measured with a yard stick on the sloped foot well behind the pedal there is a full 2" of free play from rest to the beginning of a firm resistance when depressed.

Is this typical?

TIA

Whit

2. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I get about 1-1 1/2 inch before they start grabbing and the lights light up. They are way touchier than my '01 S10 brakes which moves about 2-3 before grabbing and lighting up the tails.

3. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I've never noticed any play in mine. But my last truck was a cummins so that's not saying much.

4. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    I pretty sure it can be tightened.

My 98 gets loose and I have it tightened up.

5. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    every vehicle is different.
    different power boosters, abs modules, etc.

Shut it down and pump the brakes like 20 times. should turn rock hard.
    Shouldn't have more than a couple of inches of free play then. Might need a cla of the rear brakes ( clean, lube and adjust) I adjust all my vehicles with drum brakes at every rotation. Even my new truck needed it at 500 miles.
    Makes a big difference in pedal feel.

6. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  7. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone know if the Taco's drum brakes have the Self-Adjusting mechanism the old Bendix-Wagner ones did? This was usually activated by repeatedly stabbing the brake pedal while rolling backwards. This ratcheted a star wheel on the adjusting nut/rod to expand the shoes. Don't see anything in the Owner's Manual. I'm beginning to think that even with only 11,000 miles on the truck the shoes might need adjusting if possible...this is my first Toyota product.

I was just looking and didn't see an elongated rubber plug that usually reveals access to adjusting the 'star' wheel with a brake adjusting tool like in the old days. Did see a couple smaller round plugs...are they the key?

KenLyns - Thanks for .pdf's on brake linkage, I saved them.
    Might you have another that would describe the shoe adjustment process, if there is one?

Thanks all,

Whit

8. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I don't know what kind of mechanism it uses, but yes the Taco's rear brakes are self adjusting as you describe

9. Nov 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Yes, it uses the little geared wheel that is suppose to adjust with e-brake use while parking; but it doesn't. I manually adjust mine every once in a while. There is a small rubber plug on the back of the drum you can remove and use a flat head screw driver. I forget which way you push up on the wheel, I usually have to take my drums off so I can remember lol. Adjust them until there is just a little drag on the wheel.

10. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    Yes you are correct, all modern drumbrakes are self adjusting and it was first created by Bendix. I'm not sure if it is Patented to them but I call it a Bendix

11. Nov 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The entire FSM is here: http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/repair.html

Note it's for an 2005/2006. The electronic portion of the brake system is different for 2009+ trucks. I wouldn't use the manual for bleeding the brakes, for example. Mechanical bits like adjusting the drums should be the same.

12. Nov 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    BTDT, thanks. I plodded through all the 'brake-like' subjects and didn't find any of them to be applicable, also found a bunch of:
    Not Found

The requested URL /tech/files/05FSM/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/042010-1000N_S0014_728C9_T00C0_74_74.pdf was not found on this server.

on the few that sounded like they might apply.

I'd forgotten some of the 'self-adjusting' systems also sometimes used the e-brake to do the job, but like MXPatriot, they didn't do the job in my Taco either. I imagine they just want you to take it to the dealer.

When the wx warms up I'll just pull a drum and see what they're doing in there.

Thanks again all.

Whit

13. Nov 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
  14. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    patpatpat

patpatpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Prerunner SR5 4cyl 2WD DC
    This might sound odd. I adjust my drum brakes by driving backwards (safe speed) and brake to a stop several times.

That's how I did it with my 97 S-10

15. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    That's not odd.

That has been the standard procedure for cars with self adjusting drums since the late 50's

16. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    Whitster

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    I don't mean to sound all that anal about all the brake pedal freeplay, but I'm more comfortable with a shorter stroke.

Anyway this morning I dove into expanding the shoes in the rear drums.
    After removing the elongated rubber plugs from the drum backing plates I could make a blind try at adjusting the star wheel which would expand the shoes. This access was easy enough but any adjustment of the star wheel by coming through the back side seemed kind of hit or miss. Just couldn't define the notches/serrations by feel well enough so I put the plug back in.

I then removed the wheels and drum to be able to 'see' what I was doing from the outside.
    The drums were resisting removal so I used the threaded holes Toyota thoughtfully installed to get them off. Just put a pair of >1" M8 x 1.25 mm bolts into those threaded holes and screw them into the drum. The ends of these bolts engage the axle flange and 'push' the drums off towards you as illustrated below.

This revealed a good look at the adjustment mechanism I was seeking.
    After slipping a flat-bladed screwdriver in between the automatic self adjusting lever and star wheel, the star wheel can be rotated with another flat-bladed screwdriver. (The second screwdriver is not shown below as it would block view of star wheel). I rotated the top of the star wheel away from me about five notches for an initial test. I would estimate this rotates the star wheel about 45 degrees.

After reassembly, and with truck in neutral, I could not detect any shoe dragging feel or sound. I now have just over 1" of pedal freeplay instead of the 2" play I had before. So far so good, we'll try this for awhile.

Whit

BrakeDrum1.jpg
    BrakeStarWheel.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top