1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear wheel locking up on 2010 Tacoma TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by swissrallyman, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    swissrallyman

swissrallyman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey guys,
    went out hunting a week ago in my 2010 DC TRD in the snow. Saw tracks and pulled over to check them out, got back in the truck after 1 minute or so and when I went to pull out onto the road the rear passenger wheel was locked up. I did not use the e-brake. Jiggled it back and forwards a couple of times and it freed. At the time I thought something froze up.

After a week of indident free driving, I am back to work at a remote mine site. Got in the truck the following morning, and the same wheel is locked up again. I took off the wheel, took a propane torch to the drum in case something was frozen but no go. Since that is what warrenty is for I decided to get it towed.

Today the towtruck makes it to the site (150kmdrive from the nearest town), I get in my truck to show the driver what's happening and the wheel is free again! I pulled ahead 15 feet, no resistance, everything fine, then it locked up again.

Tomorrow the Toyota dealership will tear into it.

It is definately mechanical, as you can hear a clicking when rotating the wheel back and forth as much as you can.

The truck has an OME lift, but currently sits on stock rims with winter tires.

Any ideas? Collased brake shoe? I'm sure it has nothing to do with the e-brake.

Thanks

2. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Semi-common problem on Tacoma's. Both my 2009 and 2010 did it, I just figured it was a design flaw, and it just had to be freed with a little encouragement.
    One guy posted he had an axle seal leak and cause this, but I know that I did not have 2 new trucks in a row with axle seal leaks.

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    swissrallyman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Towed it to the dealer, they called and found nothing wrong. Rear drivers side wheel turns again. They checked for water in the rear diff, but did not pull off the drum to see whats going on in there. Dealer said he can't fix what isnt broken.

Going to pick up the truck, but if this continues and Toyota is unwilling to even look into it, this truck is gone and I'm getting a Dodge.

Too bad.

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    It sounds like a leaking axle seal. If it's just starting it might not leak bad enough to see on the backing plate. They'd have to pull the drum and inspect it. If it's not doing it right now I'd bet they didn't take it apart. You could ask them if they did or ask them to.

Were you in snow both times? Any chance snow is building up on that parking brake cable and causing it to engage the parking brake? I've never had mine do that but you never know. Used to see that on certain vehicles with running boards.

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    They didn't pull the drum off??? Are they crazy or just plain stupid, to quote a line from forrest gump.

Pulling a drum off a toyota isn't that big of a deal to a tech with the tools. Adjust the shoes in if you have to, otherwise thread the bolts in and pop it off!

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    swissrallyman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Nope, towed it 150km and they didnt even pull the drum off. Going to pick it up tonight, we'll see what happens.

7. Nov 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I'd give them a call and demand they pull the drum apart. After a tow like that, it's the least they can do. I wouldn't pick it up until they did. And if they refused, I'd call corporate. I get sick of Toyota acting like their customers are incompetent, deluded or seeing things as if we're all collectively mentally ill (which we are .. but that's another matter. :))

8. Nov 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    swissrallyman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yup, I went to the dealership and made them put the truck on the hoist (after hours!), pull off both rear wheels and drums. Nothing out of the ordinary was found. They also checked the front and rear diff fluids which were clean, no water or metal. They replaced all diff fluid.

The recommended not using the parking brak if it's cold out, and suggested that IF it was the parking brake you should still be able to go backwards but not forwards.

They did all this after hours at no charge which was surprising. I asked them, btw, does my OME lift affect my warranty at all, and they said "no, not here with us". Seems like good guys! Heartland Toyota, Williams Lake, BC Canada.

Hopefully this won't happen again anytime soon. Thanks for the input everyone!

9. Dec 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Tundra

Tundra New Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma trd 6speed 2007 Tundra 5.7
    32" BFG ATs
    Hey Swissrallyman,
    Had the same problem with my 2009 tacoma...took back tire off and removed drum and there was a chunk of ice inside the drum causing it to hit the shoes and not allow drum to move freely. I removed ice with screwdriver and put everything back together and it was fixed.

I guess some ice had melted and stayed at the bottom of the drum and then froze causing the drum to lock and only move a foot or two forward and back then lock.maybe this helps

10. Dec 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Mine locked up, it was real weird it locked up but I backed up about 200' into a parking spot but then it wouldn't roll forward. Found some bent shoes? Replaced them and it's all good.

11. Dec 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    charles leandro

charles leandro Well-Known Member

Member:
    north alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 perrunner dc sr5
    none
    mine did that the shoe sping and retainer fell out into the drum.

12. Dec 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    DON'T GET A DODGE!!!!! PLEASE NO!!!

13. Dec 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    JC47

JC47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    OME 885, 5100's, 1.5 AAL, DC2's, 265/75/16 Duratracs. Leer Cap, Debadged.
    Mine locks up, but it is because a stick or something came up and put a kink in my parking brake cable (driver's side). I can apply the parking brake no problem, but the only way it will release is if I get out and pull it by hand on the other side of the kink.

Products Discussed in

To Top