Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why doesn't Toyota turbo the 1GR-FE?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Kodachrome is on a distinguished road
Navy: U.S.S. Ranger / HS-14
Kodachrome's Tacoma Gallery
It's an open deck motor, great for cooling the heads but not for sustained loads under boost. When you have an open deck motor, the cylinders can wobble and compromise the head gaskets like it did on this guy's truck not to mention mine:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...installed.html

Turbo's typically produce more boost than Superchargers and definitely more heat for the intercooler to get rid of since they are exhaust, not belt driven.

The 1GR is a bruly motor, but I don't think it can handle regular loads over 10 PSI of boost without at least upgrading head gaskets, head studs, rods, pistons and a foolproof fuel and timing tune that goes well beyond the realm of stock.

Go hang out on XRU for awhile in the boosted section, over a dozen blown motors due to the possible nature of something's limit being exceeded with otherwise great aftermarket boost goals not taking highly variable and subjective criteria into consideration...

Boost on as they say but prepare to deal with issues of premature wear and having 25-50% less usable engine life depending on how often and how robustly you plant your foot in it.

Personally I am ok with the risk, I need the boost big time in my application, the truck is payed off long ago and I can afford to build a forged 400 HP brute in another 30-50 thousand miles.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Hasn't Toyota been using turbodiesels in Hiluxes for years? I'm sure Toyota knows how to make it reliable. Probably just a cost barrier. Toyota doesn't even want to spend a few pennies to implement dual-VVTi. Why would they consider a more expensive option?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Hasn't Toyota been using turbodiesels in Hiluxes for years? I'm sure Toyota knows how to make it reliable. Probably just a cost barrier. Toyota doesn't even want to spend a few pennies to implement dual-VVTi. Why would they consider a more expensive option?
Diesel engines & gas engines are 2 completely different beasts. Diesel are already built tough because they have really high compression ratios.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
Toyota probably does not do it for a few reasons.
I know this old but there is a lot of bad information in this thread.

Quote:
- The motor is designed to be a N/A motor, hence the high compression. If it was meant to be a turbo motor, it would have much lower compression, and would be completely gutless when it's out of boost.
That does not mater, Toyota would know well enough to re-spec the engine. New pistons, cams, maybe some rods and a revised ECU tune. I'm not sure how a 4.0l engine would suddenly become gutless either.

Quote:
- Maintenance - More components, more parts that could possibly go bad. Tighter engine bays. Maintenance cost. Turbos do not last forever. Depending on driving habits, they can last anywhere from 30k-100k, and they're not cheap to replace.
Lies. There is no extra "maintenance" with a OEM turbo system. There are no turbo filter changes, or intercooler fluid changes. Performing REGULAR maintenance, maintenance found on any normal car becomes more important, but then again we are just talking about regular oil changes. Many non-performance engine come OEM non-turbo and easily make it to 200k miles or more. Volkswagen, Ford, BMW and others are now pumping out plenty of turbo cars with every intent that they will be low cost to own and last +200k miles.

Quote:
- Reliability - Majority of people don't maintain their own vehicles and do not have the first clue of what's wrong with their vehicle when something goes wrong. Toyota has always been known to make reliable vehicles. They tried making turboed trucks before, the 22RE-T. They stopped making them for a reason. I use to work at a car shop. I've seen people bring their vehicles in because the vehicle felt really weak and does not have any power. Turns out a coupler holding the charge pipes together got old, dried and cracked open, causing the engine to lose all boost pressure.

A lot has changed in 30 years. Turbo technology was in its infancy for many manufactures back in the 80's. Look at all the diesel trucks that are pulling a half-million miles and the dozens of new car models coming out with turbos.

With all that said, I don't think a OEM Turbo 1GR-FE is the solution for Toyota. The engine does all right in gas mileage and the Tacoma is not struggling to make power - right now. A more powerful V6 should be invested in and I do believe Toyota has that in the works.

Dodge has just announced it's 3.0 V6 turbo diesel 1500 Ram and I wold like to think Toyota would eventually get us a I4 Turbo Diesel.