1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heated Mirror Options; Muth Signal, Sienna Mirrors, or 2012 Mirrors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dessertsand05, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    dessertsand05

dessertsand05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I have had an OEM heated mirror switch for a while, but ready to finally get it installed. I have searched TW and read all the threads, but still having some trouble deciding what will be easiest to install and will go best with my Desert Sand 2005 DC.

[​IMG]

I figure I have three options....

Muth Signal Mirrors with the Heated Option
    Sienna Heated Mirrors w/ the OEM Highlander switch
    Try to find some black 2012 mirrors

Does anyone feel after installing the Muth sigal mirrors it was over kill or too hard to install? Where is the best place to buy?

If I have the oem switch do I still need the Muth heated relay kit?

Anyone who did the heating pad wish they did the Muth Mirrors?

I am not sure of the last option is even really an option since Desert Sand is discontinued color and they won't have any ready to use options.

Just need a little nudge to get me in the right direction and get some opinions in how these options have worked out for people after being installed.

2. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Go with the Sienna Mirrors - cheapest option plus the install is easy to do. The toughest part for me was getting the mirrors our of their casing.

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    Balot64

Balot64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax to San Diego, now Jax again
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Offroad 4x4
    FX-R HID retrofit, G2 Bak cover, N-fab step wanna be, Pop & Lock, Weathertech digifit floor mat, LED interior, OME front and rear shocks, OME 884, LR UCA, Wheeler 3 leaf pack. FJ black trail rims with 265/75/16 Michelin LTX MS2
    I saw some 08-11 highlander heated side mirror in ebay for $70 with light on the bottom. I just don't know if it fit on Tacoma. It might worth to take a look.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Nov 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I was looking into what goes into this the other day. The Muth kit is nice but at $360 bucks (You have to get a $70 fit kit on top of the mirror kit) it is a little much. I'm going to get the Sienna mirrors and the Highlander switch so it looks stock and has the 15 minute delay relay in it so you don't cook your battery. Doesn't seem too expensive but at least I know everything will fit nice and have Toyota quality behind it.

5. Nov 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    dessertsand05

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    I could have sworn I saw the MUTH kit cheaper somewhere, but may be wrong. Big thing with that was if you need to get the $70 fit kit if you have the Higlander switch. Couldnt get a clear answer on the TW thread, I may have to reread it.....

6. Nov 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    Same here. Do you know a good site to order the parts from or are you going through the dealer?

7. Nov 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    How much did you pay for the mirrors?

8. Nov 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    FYI - these are the glass mirror inserts, not the whole mirror assembly.

If I remeber correctly I paid about $42 each off ebay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Nov 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    If I may ask, why Sienna mirrors? Are those as close to spec to the tacoma mirrors as you can get? Do they bolt up exactly the same? Whats the benefit? I'd love to have some heated mirrors...

10. Nov 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    dessertsand05

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DC SR5 4x4
    Working on it
    From what I read on the thread; you take the glass out of the mirror housing, and then replace it with the Sienna replacement glass that has heating elements built in. It is supposed to match the Tacoma's.

The OEM switch gets wired up to the pads in the mirrors. You keep the mirror cases you already have. So far from reading the thread, I am having trouble finding out where to get an add a fuse thingy and the relay. But I think if you run a positive and a negative wire you can dump the relay.

The MUTH adds a more expensive mirror to insert into the casing, maybe add a heating unit, although I think the OEM switch may be able to replace it, and you have to wire up the turn signals to the mirror.

I want to get this done, but it seems intimidating right now, but then again I did the Fog Light Alacart mod and that was scary! Still have no idea how I managed to get that one done.

11. Nov 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top