Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Heated Mirror Options; Muth Signal, Sienna Mirrors, or 2012 Mirrors?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
dessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the rough
Firefighter:
dessertsand05's Tacoma Gallery
Heated Mirror Options; Muth Signal, Sienna Mirrors, or 2012 Mirrors?

I have had an OEM heated mirror switch for a while, but ready to finally get it installed. I have searched TW and read all the threads, but still having some trouble deciding what will be easiest to install and will go best with my Desert Sand 2005 DC.

I figure I have three options....

Muth Signal Mirrors with the Heated Option
Sienna Heated Mirrors w/ the OEM Highlander switch
Try to find some black 2012 mirrors

Does anyone feel after installing the Muth sigal mirrors it was over kill or too hard to install? Where is the best place to buy?

If I have the oem switch do I still need the Muth heated relay kit?

Anyone who did the heating pad wish they did the Muth Mirrors?

I am not sure of the last option is even really an option since Desert Sand is discontinued color and they won't have any ready to use options.

Just need a little nudge to get me in the right direction and get some opinions in how these options have worked out for people after being installed.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Sienna Mirrors - cheapest option plus the install is easy to do. The toughest part for me was getting the mirrors our of their casing.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Balot64 is on a distinguished road

Navy: ASC
Balot64's Tacoma Gallery
I saw some 08-11 highlander heated side mirror in ebay for $70 with light on the bottom. I just don't know if it fit on Tacoma. It might worth to take a look.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking into what goes into this the other day. The Muth kit is nice but at $360 bucks (You have to get a $70 fit kit on top of the mirror kit) it is a little much. I'm going to get the Sienna mirrors and the Highlander switch so it looks stock and has the 15 minute delay relay in it so you don't cook your battery. Doesn't seem too expensive but at least I know everything will fit nice and have Toyota quality behind it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
dessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the rough
Firefighter:
I could have sworn I saw the MUTH kit cheaper somewhere, but may be wrong. Big thing with that was if you need to get the $70 fit kit if you have the Higlander switch. Couldnt get a clear answer on the TW thread, I may have to reread it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
I was looking into what goes into this the other day. The Muth kit is nice but at $360 bucks (You have to get a $70 fit kit on top of the mirror kit) it is a little much. I'm going to get the Sienna mirrors and the Highlander switch so it looks stock and has the 15 minute delay relay in it so you don't cook your battery. Doesn't seem too expensive but at least I know everything will fit nice and have Toyota quality behind it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
Same here. Do you know a good site to order the parts from or are you going through the dealer?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunngavik View Post
Go with the Sienna Mirrors - cheapest option plus the install is easy to do. The toughest part for me was getting the mirrors our of their casing.
How much did you pay for the mirrors?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

FYI - these are the glass mirror inserts, not the whole mirror assembly.

If I remeber correctly I paid about $42 each off ebay
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
If I may ask, why Sienna mirrors? Are those as close to spec to the tacoma mirrors as you can get? Do they bolt up exactly the same? Whats the benefit? I'd love to have some heated mirrors...
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Firefighter:
From what I read on the thread; you take the glass out of the mirror housing, and then replace it with the Sienna replacement glass that has heating elements built in. It is supposed to match the Tacoma's.

The OEM switch gets wired up to the pads in the mirrors. You keep the mirror cases you already have. So far from reading the thread, I am having trouble finding out where to get an add a fuse thingy and the relay. But I think if you run a positive and a negative wire you can dump the relay.

The MUTH adds a more expensive mirror to insert into the casing, maybe add a heating unit, although I think the OEM switch may be able to replace it, and you have to wire up the turn signals to the mirror.

I want to get this done, but it seems intimidating right now, but then again I did the Fog Light Alacart mod and that was scary! Still have no idea how I managed to get that one done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
If I may ask, why Sienna mirrors? Are those as close to spec to the tacoma mirrors as you can get? Do they bolt up exactly the same? Whats the benefit? I'd love to have some heated mirrors...
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Buy Burnco heated mirror glass for the Sienna. These do not bolt in.

Read the thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mirrors-5.html for installation.