Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Factory Spare Tire Lock vs Cable Lock

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Mav44 is on a distinguished road

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Spare Tire Lock vs Cable Lock

I am new to this and trying to lock everthing down before I do anything else. What is the best way to protect the spare tire, should I pick up the facory lock like this one , or should I get some type of heavy cable and lock?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
I just went up under the truck and noticed I have a chain from the factory hanging down through the center of the spare. Can I just padlock this to one of the holes in the rim of the spare and be protected?
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The problem with chaining it is getting the spare down when you need it. I will probably buy the lock kit from Toyota for my truck.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav44 View Post
I just went up under the truck and noticed I have a chain from the factory hanging down through the center of the spare. Can I just padlock this to one of the holes in the rim of the spare and be protected?
I guess that would work. I've never heard of a chain from the factory before...what year is your truck?
What I did it swedge a loop on both ends of a heavy cable. I ran it up through the frame and around the tire, then padlocked. Spray some WD40 in the key hole and cover it with duct tape.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Scubasteve4533 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Scubasteve4533's Tacoma Gallery
I have this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

seems to work
Old 11-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
It is a one week old 2012 that I have found out about all the security flaws the Tacoma has and I am working to fix. See pics of stock factory chain below.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Weird. Mine doesn't have a chain.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think so, there is still the place in the bumper to stick in the crank to lower the tire.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav44 View Post
I don't think so, there is still the place in the bumper to stick in the crank to lower the tire.
Maybe your dealership had a problem with spare tire theft and had the chain installed?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #11

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I should see what this chain is tied to above the tire. If nothing else I will stick a big old master-lock on it to spook off the grab and run guys.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
tmt301 is on a distinguished road
tmt301's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my 2012 a 3 days ago. I have that chain hanging too. I haven't had the time to mess around with the truck yet. I asked around including mechanics from different places they say that is normal. So I didn't bother with it yet, but I sure have to figure out how to lower that spare tire for safety reason.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #13

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
Hi tmt301, make sure you do the tailgate mod. It should be listed at the top of this page under mods & tutorials. I could not beleive I could walk up and pop my talgate off in under 5 seconds. Toyota needs to fix this!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #14

Do you guys with the chains live in California by any chance? I just talked to my dealer and they say it's a regional thing either Toyota or the dealers are doing in area's of the country with high theft problems.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #15

Mav44's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, Southern California for me. Tacoma is number 4 on the stolen list.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
munkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shedmunkeeboi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

munkeeboi's Tacoma Gallery
I believe that chain is what holds up the spare tire carrier when lowered. My 1990 4 runner had a similar chain. it is not there for security. i would believe putting a padlock on it would help, but I am pretty naive to spare tire theft and would like to hear more suggestions
Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeeboi View Post
I believe that chain is what holds up the spare tire carrier when lowered. My 1990 4 runner had a similar chain. it is not there for security. i would believe putting a padlock on it would help, but I am pretty naive to spare tire theft and would like to hear more suggestions
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...len-spare.html
Old 11-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
woojoo83 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: John
woojoo83's Tacoma Gallery
Mav44, have you determined what the chain's purpose is? admittedly, i have not sought to figure it out myself, but i have had my truck for less than 48hrs. i, too and a socal resident and i too have that same chain dangling like a dingleberry under there.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
A cable & lock would be real fun on a rainy night.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a $5 combination cable lock from Wally World, threaded it through the tire and around the frame. My experience ... you just gotta do a little more than the next guy and you'll be fine.

Products Discussed in this Thread