Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Nitro 4.56 gears today WOW!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Nitro 4.56 gears today WOW!!!

Had the shop intall 4.56 gears today in my 2.7 4x4. Huge expense but worth every penny. What a tremendous difference- all my power back plus some. Purchased a complete front differential and a rear differential kit from East Coast Gears - $1040.00 shipped. Shop gave me a break because they know me and charged me $625.00 for install. I had them put Lucas 80/140 in (18.50/quart) (this is what ECG wants you to use). Props to Chase and all the folk at East Coast Gears
Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
congrats, i need to do this, as i can only really get on it in 4x4 low, running 285 km2's on 17's and i need my power back. what major difference besides power are you getting, re: running in 5th gear on highway> what rpms are you at highway speeds or in 4th gear/5th gear.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
I was running about 2500@70mph ,2700@75mph and about 2900@80mph these are all in 5th gear. I hit some hills that I would normally have had to downshift to 4th but didnt need to anymore. I suspect my mpg will go back up as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! This will be my next mod, Gears and lockers.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
any update on mpg's?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
any update on mpg's?
Dont think there will be good mileage here.
80/140 dino oil ? In Upstate NY ? Thats like filling diff with grease in the winter.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
Had the shop intall 4.56 gears today in my 2.7 4x4. Huge expense but worth every penny. What a tremendous difference- all my power back plus some. Purchased a complete front differential and a rear differential kit from East Coast Gears - $1040.00 shipped. Shop gave me a break because they know me and charged me $625.00 for install. I had them put Lucas 80/140 in (18.50/quart) (this is what ECG wants you to use). Props to Chase and all the folk at East Coast Gears
Congrats on the re-gear!

In regard to the bold: for the front and rear already assembled, they still charged $625?

Also why did you not go with the 75-90 Toyota recommended weight?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I was running about 2500@70mph ,2700@75mph and about 2900@80mph these are all in 5th gear. I hit some hills that I would normally have had to downshift to 4th but didnt need to anymore. I suspect my mpg will go back up as well.
Need to take into consideration when you calculate your MPG that NOW you are OPPOSITE of what it was before. You will be putting MORE miles on the odometer rather than previously with the larger tires and factory gearing.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Need to take into consideration when you calculate your MPG that NOW you are OPPOSITE of what it was before. You will be putting MORE miles on the odometer rather than previously with the larger tires and factory gearing.
re gearing changes your speedo??????
Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #13

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congrats on the re-gear!

In regard to the bold: for the front and rear already assembled, they still charged $625?

Also why did you not go with the 75-90 Toyota recommended weight?
Only the front diff was complete from ECG's and only had to be installed the rear had to be built by the shop so Im thinking they gave me a great price for labor. As far as the oil weight, ECG's gives a five year warranty on the diffs although they recommend that you use Lucas 85-140. They are the professionals and they claim this is what works the best for front/rear diffs and transfer case. They also say to stay away from synthetic for two reasons 1) does not cushion like dino does and 2) although the oil temp is cooler with synth the metal gears are actually higher temp then with dyno.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
yes because the speed sensor is in the back on the transmission. with gear changes the rpm's are altered which means that the driveshaft spins more/less than what was from factory.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Almost there

Quote:
Only the front diff was complete from ECG's and only had to be installed the rear had to be built by the shop so Im thinking they gave me a great price for labor. As far as the oil weight, ECG's gives a five year warranty on the diffs although they recommend that you use Lucas 85-140. They are the professionals and they claim this is what works the best for front/rear diffs and transfer case. They also say to stay away from synthetic for two reasons 1) does not cushion like dino does and 2) although the oil temp is cooler with synth the metal gears are actually higher temp then with dyno.
Thats interesting! I guess everyone has their favorite brand/weight. I personally use redline 75-90 with my gears and ARB in the diff.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #16

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Dont think there will be good mileage here.
80/140 dino oil ? In Upstate NY ? Thats like filling diff with grease in the winter.
Actually my gas milage went back up to 20mpg (true reading taking into consideration odo being off due to re-gear) from 17.5mpg before re-gear (was getting 20mpg before I put 265 75 16's on KM2's). Gears front and rear are like butter-no issues
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats interesting! I guess everyone has their favorite brand/weight. I personally use redline 75-90 with my gears and ARB in the diff.
I have always used mobil 1 synthetic so this was a big change for me. By the way the Lucas is just as expensive as synthetic
Old 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Almost there

what conversion factor are you using when you say true reading? explain the math please
Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #19

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
Yes re-gear will change the speedo and odo

speedometer registers 82mph Im really going 75mph
when ODO registers 100 miles I really have driven 95 miles
Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #20

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what conversion factor are you using when you say true reading? explain the math please
I have a gps that actually gives you a accurate speed and milage so I just documented what my speedo and odo registered at several speeds and compared it to the gps