Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How many quarts for my 4.0 V6 oil change?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
ap53 is on a distinguished road
Name: Art
ap53's Tacoma Gallery
How many quarts for my 4.0 V6 oil change?

I cant find my owners manual and I cant remember how much oil should I put in my 06 V6 pre runner with an oil filter change ?? Can some one tell me what is Toyota recommendations.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
5.4 qts for the 4.0
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
5.4 qts for the 4.0
+1

Here is link to the oil filter removal part of the service manual
with oil spec's.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/01800210.pdf
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
ap53's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Thank you all, for the help.
Thatís what I did, 4 quarts in and I checked the dipstick and it looked ĺ full.
I just thought double-checking is forth it?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Yah, because you'll never empty ALL the old oil out, so its good to not just add 5 quarts in and cross your fingers becuase you'll burn up some goodies in that engine real quick. (thats the technical term for engine parts - goodies) Just 4 in and usually just need that last 1/4 to 1/2 quart.

change your oil filter every other oil change to save money, and you'll be set. just remember to reset the computer otherwise you'll have that flashing yellow light on your dashboard for a bit. Check your owners manual for instructions.. i believe someone wrote up something about it a few posts back..
Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
Yah, because you'll never empty ALL the old oil out, so its good to not just add 5 quarts in and cross your fingers becuase you'll burn up some goodies in that engine real quick. (thats the technical term for engine parts - goodies) Just 4 in and usually just need that last 1/4 to 1/2 quart.

change your oil filter every other oil change to save money, and you'll be set. just remember to reset the computer otherwise you'll have that flashing yellow light on your dashboard for a bit. Check your owners manual for instructions.. i believe someone wrote up something about it a few posts back..
The amount listed in the owners manual will probably already compensate for whatever oil is left in the crankcase. Adding 5.4quarts immediately is just fine. I actually put 5.5+ since I run a larger oil filter and change it every time.

The dipsticks on these trucks are VERY difficult to read.

If you change the filter every other oil change - then the quanity required is even less. Read the owners manual.

To Reset the maint light. Press and hold the trip button. Turn key to ON Position. Continue holding the trip button. On the dash readout - you'll see some dashes. Continue pressing the trip button - and I can't remember what the last thing it does ...maybe zero's or 3 dashes. CAn't remember.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
ap53's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The amount listed in the owners manual will probably already compensate for whatever oil is left in the crankcase. Adding 5.4quarts immediately is just fine. I actually put 5.5+ since I run a larger oil filter and change it every time.

The dipsticks on these trucks are VERY difficult to read.

If you change the filter every other oil change - then the quanity required is even less. Read the owners manual.

To Reset the maint light. Press and hold the trip button. Turn key to ON Position. Continue holding the trip button. On the dash readout - you'll see some dashes. Continue pressing the trip button - and I can't remember what the last thing it does ...maybe zero's or 3 dashes. CAn't remember.
Thanks for the reset instructions I was going to ask for this next, I still canít find owners manual.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
I go with 5.5 qts.
Even if it's 1/10 of a qt over,it sure won't do any harm.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
DannyH is on a distinguished road
DannyH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post

Why would you not change your oil filter with every oil change??
Would you wipe your ass with used toilet paper? Probably not so why would you expect a used filter to keep new oil clean??
Filters are not that expensive.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Would you wipe your ass with used toilet paper? Probably not so why would you expect a used filter to keep new oil clean??
Someone seems a little unhappy in their first post here at TW. Plus this is a 5 year old thread. The poster may not even be here anymore lol.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
DannyH is on a distinguished road
DannyH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Someone seems a little unhappy in their first post here at TW. Plus this is a 5 year old thread. The poster may not even be here anymore lol.
Yep new to forum also new to me tacoma and was looking for info when Google found this post for the info I was looking for. Did I check the date of the post? No! Was I unhappy we'll I didn't think so it was just a comment. But if making comments makes me look angry perhaps I should not have joined this forum?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Yep new to forum also new to me tacoma and was looking for info when Google found this post for the info I was looking for. Did I check the date of the post? No! Was I unhappy we'll I didn't think so it was just a comment. But if making comments makes me look angry perhaps I should not have joined this forum?
Making comments (in first quote) will not make you any friends on this forum.

For real...... think about it. How would you feel if someone responded to YOU in the same manner?

Keep it clean. Keep it respectful. Keep it positive. Nobody likes negativity.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
GoHuskers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

For real...... think about it. How would you feel if someone responded to YOU in the same manner?

Well said eta.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
GoHuskers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well said ftw
Old 11-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
CanadaToy is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
CanadaToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL agreed! Cheap insurance!