1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Header suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mt454casull, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    mt454casull

mt454casull [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Missoula Mt
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I have a 2011 tacoma with the 4.0 v6. I am going to stick an after market exhaust on it and I am also thinking about putting some headers on it. What do you guys think. Any recommendations as to what kind of headers would be the best. Is there anyone out there who has done this who could enlighten me on what kind of increases they saw after header install. I installed headers on my old 4 banger taco and it made a world of difference, but I am not sure if it will do that much on my new taco. Thanks for any info

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    expensive and not alot of gains, but still a good upgrade when added to other upgrades.

ill say it before anyone else does.

your new, but try the search button and check for doug thorley, or long tube/short tube.

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    mt454casull

mt454casull [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Missoula Mt
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    ok thanks, I was thenking of going with the long tube ones

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I've got the JBA shorts. Had to cut the original exh manifold away from the cat and weld the JBA's to the cats, but I like them better than the long tubes cuz you're not playing a trick on your ecu with the o2 sims. You can see pics of the headers installed in my gallery. I did all the work my self beside the actual welds. I took them to a guy to have them bench welded which saved me some cash.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    mt454casull

mt454casull [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Missoula Mt
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    looks nice. did you notice much improvment over stock?

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Yes, I noticed that the rpms are lower throughout different speeds, it has more take off power when you hit it, and at higher rpms it has more power than it did before. I wanted to do a dyno, but I watched a couple youtubes of dynos gone bad and redecided. It's also has a better sound as well.

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    its going to be loud as hell, if you do long tubes you will have to bypass your o2 sensors and throw check engine light, and you wont see a performance increase.

also expensive. not really worth it.

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    i want to say (please correct if off) but you are looking at 750-1000 dollars for 10-20 hp gain at the motor... if think about it, a tailpipe turbo is 3k and gives you 50-100 horse... i love my cai and magnaflow, but i didnt get them for performance. it just isnt there. i got it for sound and for ease of use with the volant lifetime no oil filter.

it is your decision but for that money you can get new gears and your truck would be "faster" off the line etc. or you could save and do the supercharger only 6k... save the money unless you have to have them. in the end it is your decision.

9. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Total price of putting headers on my truck including shop fees was $475

Got headers off ebay and did most of the work myself.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    my intake and exhaust (exhaust) cost less then 400. but for new headers it costs 575.
    THY-515-LS-C

11. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    all im saying is headers are not the best for the money. and can pop codes

12. Nov 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    mt454casull

mt454casull [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Missoula Mt
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    good to know I think installing the shorties will overall be an easier install also.

13. Nov 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    romeo

romeo Wombat

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Lacey, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4x4 DC Sport
    did you have to take the cats off and weld the headers on then install it all as one piece or were they able to weld the headers on to the cats while bolted to the block?

14. Nov 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Go to the jba website and look up Part# 2035s . They have install instructions in pdf. I tacked the headers to the cats, then took em off and had em bench welded. I also did a lil extra fabrication and had to cut a lil into the top conical portion of the cat and added a piece of 2 1/2" pipwhich you see in between the cat and the header.

15. Nov 17, 2011 at 2:41 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Doug Thorley Long Tube+O2 sim

16. Nov 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    mt454casull

mt454casull [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Missoula Mt
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I am thenking my wife might get me the doug thorley shortie headers for christmas. We will see. and I will let everyone know what I think when I finaly get some installed. thanks for the advice everyone

17. Nov 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    Doug thorley long tube with 02 sim. Did all the work myself and love them. Wasnt that hard to install just time consuming

18. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Werd, took like 5 hours for me , but damn they're schweet! Oh and everyone that doesn't have them are jelly cuz they don't have them :D

19. Nov 18, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Wow, that's a long time. Took me 2 hrs, and had welding involved. If any body has probs with install pm me, I can help.

20. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Anyone know if the shorty's are street legal in California? Is there a better flow rating between the Doug's and the JBA'S.? New to the fourm Any advise would help. Be easy. J/K

Brett

Products Discussed in

To Top