Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to get better gas mileage

Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Toyzilla is on a distinguished road
Name: Ethan
Toyzilla's Tacoma Gallery
How to get better gas mileage

I have a 2010 Tacoma 4.0 v6 6-speed manual. How do i get better gas mileage out of my truck??
Old 11-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Don't drive like an asshole, don't lift it, and don't get bigger tires.

Welcome to TW.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
There is really nothing you can to do increase the MPG.

With my lifted truck which has bigger tires, I am getting around 17.5 mpg in the city. That's be driving like an old lady too.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Drive SLOW --dont rev above 2k
Dont have fun-
Actually REAL GAS will increase your MPG at LEAST 10%
Check you air filter and TIRE PRESSURE.
That will help.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
There is no way to increase your mpg. Buy a different vehicle. Anyone making a vehicle purchase should have already taken the mpg's into consideration.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Use the search function.

Your driving technique has the biggest affect on your fuel economy.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
There is no way to increase your mpg. Buy a different vehicle. Anyone making a vehicle purchase should have already taken the mpg's into consideration.
And this is 100% wrong.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Your driving habits will have the most impact on MPG. Boltons won't do much. But really there are more fuel efficient vehicles out there.

live via
Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
think again buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
And this is 100% wrong.
k. If you guys say so.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
X2 things looking to get heated
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Drive like you have an egg between the gas pedal and the bottom of your foot.Also a more narrow tire{245/75/16} will help some.I have found a 2 mpg difference between the 245/75/16 and 265/70/16.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Only use 93 Octane fuel, get the magnet that goes on the fuel line, and get the special can of gasoline additive that raises mpg....mwahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Only use 93 Octane fuel, get the magnet that goes on the fuel line, and get the special can of gasoline additive that raises mpg....mwahahahahahahahahaha!
I hope this is a joke.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
What a joke
Deano1964 is on a distinguished road

Deano1964's Tacoma Gallery
I removed the charcoal filter that covered the throttle body really no difference in mpg but alittle better in acceleration when I put a k&n filter on it my truck has been in 4 times for fuel consumption and the same ole shit no computer errors I average 10 to 12 mpg no lift no mods. I put Toyo mud tires last week for the winter no difference I drive it like a old lady I also use real has from citco no 10per ethanol truck runs great but with the mileage you would think I had a 454 Chevy bigblock with 2 carbs
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
bt08231 has a spectacular aura aboutbt08231 has a spectacular aura about

bt08231's Tacoma Gallery
man 10 to 12 is rough! somethings not right, i drive like an f-ing granny and get 18 regularly, my best i think was 24, id agree its your driving style as well as your driving conditions
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #17
XJBaylor will become famous soon enough
Name: Keith
XJBaylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
nah i thought that was the end of it, he conceded (though im sure he still somehow believes that there is no possible way to improve mpg) and i was gonna leave it at that.
You may want to believe there is some bolt-on magic bullet out there, but I dare you to find real world results from bolt-ons that even begin to approach the effectiveness of driving intelligently. Guys on the forums claiming huge increases from their throttle body spacer or running 93 octane gas does not represent proof by the way.

Chasing mpg improvements from aftermarket parts is one of the quickest and most reliable ways to fruitlessly dispose of your income.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #18
johnnyman1 is on a distinguished road
johnnyman1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to find the "black box w/wires" some of you talk about. Only person willing to sell them to me is some guy in Greece. Seems expensive though. //sarc off
Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano1964 View Post
I removed the charcoal filter that covered the throttle body really no difference in mpg but alittle better in acceleration when I put a k&n filter on it my truck has been in 4 times for fuel consumption and the same ole shit no computer errors I average 10 to 12 mpg no lift no mods. I put Toyo mud tires last week for the winter no difference I drive it like a old lady I also use real has from citco no 10per ethanol truck runs great but with the mileage you would think I had a 454 Chevy bigblock with 2 carbs
10-12mpg? something has to be wrong. I've been driving my like I'm running from the cops and I'm still getting 15mpg.