Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheap mod: Double cab under-seat long gun storage

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap mod: Double cab under-seat long gun storage

A few months ago I decided to get a truck shotgun. I figured the under-seat storage in the back of my 2011 double cab would be a great place to keep one. The storage compartment is obviously limited, but I found that the stockless Mossberg 500 Cruiser fits nicely. (I doubt you'd be able to get anything with a stock in there comfortably.)

Of course, just letting the gun lay lopsided in the container wasn't very aesthetically appealing, and over time it sliding back and forth would wear both the gun and the storage compartment. So, I devised a simple, cheap mod to safely secure the gun inside the compartment using duct tape's friendly cousin, Velcro.

Mod supplies:

* 2x #10 1/2" machine screws
* 2x #10 steel washers
* 2x #10 nut
* 2x #10 black plastic screw covers
* 2+ feet double-sided Velcro

Tools needed:

* Drill w/ 5/32" bit
* 2x flat head screwdriver
* Adjustable wrench (a 10mm socket should suffice for our purposes)
* Scissors
* Marker pen/chalk (preferably a light color)

Step 1: Remove the under-seat storage compartment

This is accomplished by prying up the nine black fasteners along the front and rear edges of the compartment using two flat head screwdrivers. They may seem stubborn at first but with a bit of effort they will eventually pop straight up. (There's probably a tool designed specifically for this, but damned if I know what it is. A very small claw hammer might work as well.) I suggest sealing the fasteners in a plastic immediately to so that they don't disappear.

With all nine fasteners removed, the plastic compartment lifts right out.

Step 2: Cut two strips of Velcro to length

Wrap Velcro around the two points at which you want to secure your gun leaving plenty of extra slack and cut two strips of sufficient length. You can always trip them down later if necessary.

Step 3: Drill two holes along the front of the compartment

Now, the ideal placement of these holes will depend on what gun you have. For the 500 Crusier, I drilled two holes about 3/8" below the lip of the container: one about half an inch from the left inside edge and the other almost directly underneath the third fastener hole from the left. You'll probably need to experiment with the Velcro and positioning of the gun to come up with the best spots.

A word of caution here: Make sure the placement of the holes doesn't interfere with the two slots for the locking mechanisms of the compartment lids. Also avoid drilling the holes close to the vertical support on the outside of the container as they will prevent the washers from laying flat.

Step 4: Putting it together

Fold each Velcro strip at the point you want to attach it to the compartment and cut a very short slit vertically across the fold. This slit should be just long enough to force the screw the Velcro and no longer. Keep in mind that you want the overlapping portion of the Velcro loop to be above the gun, which should be the gun's right side.

Put a screw through one of the screw covers and then force it through the Velcro strip with the loop (soft) side facing the screw head. Drive the screw into the wall of the storage compartment (head facing inside) and secure a washer and nut on the end of the screw. Repeat for the second screw.

Again, the order of the component from inside to outside the compartment is: screw head, screw cover, Velcro, compartment wall, washer, nut.

Once the nuts have been tightened sufficiently, place the storage compartment back in the truck and replace the fasteners. Now you should be set to mount your gun.

I've found that if I keep the right-side loop just loose enough, I can very easily undo the left-side loop and slide the gun out without lifting the right side of the compartment (under the larger half of the back seat).
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap mod: Double cab under-seat long gun storage-truck_shotgun.jpg   Cheap mod: Double cab under-seat long gun storage-truck_shotgun2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
What do you mean by functional? Granted, the gun isn't as accessible as if it were mounted on a gun rack, but I'm not comfortable advertising that there's a firearm in my vehicle.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
how hard is it to get the gun out quickly? thats the only reason i'd have shotgun in my truck that i specifically bought to carry in there is so i can grab it real quick in case of an emergency. seems like a lot of sugar for a dime, solid mounting method though
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
What I meant by functional is that is a self defense gun and you can't really use it for its intended purpose mounted there. You actually have to get out of the truck and open the rear door, fold the seats, unlatch the tray unvelcro the gun.

Still a good way to transport the gun, no doubt.

What is the purpose of this truck shotgun for you?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
how hard is it to get the gun out quickly?
Lift up the seat, lift up the compartment cover, unstrap the one Velcro strip, and pull the gun out. Probably ~8-10 seconds from the driver's seat assuming you remember to unlock the door on the way.

The reality is that you're not going to grab a long gun from the driver's seat in a hurry unless you have one mounted vertically as in LEO vehicles. That's what a handgun is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
What is the purpose of this truck shotgun for you?
To have and not need, essentially.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch85 View Post
To have and not need, essentially.
Lets hope so because if you need it, you essentially don't have it.

As in for self defense? Because that's what I mean by functional, you can't use this for personal self defense. If at a light and an attacker approaches. If leaving a store and walking to your vehicle? Even if opening your vehicle and being approached it still wouldn't be practical. In my opinion a long gun is for home protection and even then the length can still cause issues in clearing corners. Say you can get this gun out while being attacked you can still only defend the passengers side comfortably.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
swissrallyman is on a distinguished road

swissrallyman's Tacoma Gallery
I have almost the exact same setp up, except I have a full stock. I recommend keeping it well oiled as they tend to rust especially from heat differences. Also mine rattles quite a bit so I put an old T-shirt under it...
Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Lets hope so because if you need it, you essentially don't have it.

As in for self defense? Because that's what I mean by functional, you can't use this for personal self defense. If at a light and an attacker approaches. If leaving a store and walking to your vehicle? Even if opening your vehicle and being approached it still wouldn't be practical. In my opinion a long gun is for home protection and even then the length can still cause issues in clearing corners. Say you can get this gun out while being attacked you can still only defend the passengers side comfortably.
a "truck gun" isn't intended for rapid deployment, a la anti-carjacking , ..etc, - that's what a handgun on your person (or w/in reach) is for.. a truck gun is for the chance you are stranded somewhere, and are approached w/ a threat/threats... long gun affords more firepower in the worst of situations..
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissrallyman View Post
I have almost the exact same setp up, except I have a full stock. I recommend keeping it well oiled as they tend to rust especially from heat differences. Also mine rattles quite a bit so I put an old T-shirt under it...
Yeah, I keep it oiled and also put a 40g reusable desiccant pack in the compartment. We'll see how well it holds up.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea, I just keep a spin cast 2 pc. fishing rig for those quick draw moments.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
hudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to beholdhudsonstrong is a splendid one to behold
Army: Master Gunner Delta Compnay Army National Guard Warrior Training Center
Name: Jonathan
hudsonstrong's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea, I'm thinking about rigging something up behind the rear seats. That would be more for transporting the firearm, not for protection. I'm thinking a gun rack mounted behind the rear seats to keep them out of sight. They'd be trigger locked in the rack anyways so they wouldn't for self defense. I might steal the velcro idea to help keep them tight, I was thinking quick fist holders but velcro is a lot cheaper.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Thelt is on a distinguished road
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
It is for when you empty all 17 rounds from your Glock and still have more zombies to kill. I think it is cool.

Products Discussed in this Thread