1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trouble engaging/disengaging low range

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rallyparkguy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    rallyparkguy

rallyparkguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Black Hawk, SD
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5
    I almost always have trouble with the electronic transfer case switch. When I turn the switch to Low Range, the status light blinks off and on, indicating the shift hasn't occurred. Eventually, it seems to work, after lots of clutch in and out, shifting the six speed tranny in and out of neutral, turning the switch back and forth. I have the same trouble trying to shift back to high range. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why it suddenly shifts, but it is frustrating. My '86 truck had the manual transfer case shifter and it worked great - although getting out and locking and unlocking the hubs was a pain.

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    might need to use it more. may smooth up. thats why i like my 1st gen front end locks automatically when i pull the transfer lever

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    You have to be in High first then coomplete the steps for your manual to get into low. If you remember to cycle your actuator often enough it should smooth out. I work mine out regularly and can now get into 4h without moving, I can actually start the truck leave it in park and engage it. Same for low once already in 4h of course. just a thought.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    If you remember to cycle your actuator often enough it should smooth out. I work mine out regularly and can now get into 4h without moving, I can actually start the truck leave it in park and engage it. Same for low once already in 4h of course. just a thought.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    SoCo

SoCo Hateful Respect

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen T4R 5spd.
    There's not enough bandwidth for what's happening.
    Larry,

Here's what works for me with my 05 manual trans. (as described in the owners manual):

-After 4H is engaged and at a complete stop, shift into neutral while keeping clutch pedal engaged.

-Turn knob to 4L, light will blink but not engage.

-Turn knob back to 4H, release clutch pedal and then re-engage clutch pedal

-Turn knob back to 4L to get in to low.

This sequence works for me EVERY time without fail. Hope it helps.

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The clutch has to be pressed in before the knob is turned to 4L. If you skip that step, it won't do anything until you turn the knob back to 4H and press the clutch down.

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Owners manual works pretty good. :thumbsup:

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    xbarjoe

xbarjoe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 w/ TRD Off-Road
    Debadged, K&N, Shrockworks bolton sliders, ARB front bumper, CBI rear bumper, Bushwacker flairs (black), ASFIR engine and tranny skid plates, Light Racing UCAs
    My observations on 2nd gen 4whl system:
    1. The system is much more picky when shifting into 4lo than 4hi.
    2. Clutch pedal must be mashed completely to the floor everytime to actuate all the switches.
    2. Truck has to absolutely motionless.
    3. Gear shift in neutral.

I guess it's because the system does not have sensors to determine that the gears inside the transfer case are not moving relative to each other so the system instead uses "secondary" sensors to conclude it's safe to shift. This causes system delay and frustration on the user's part.

9. Nov 14, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    You're going to need to talk to your dealership about that one. Maybe they'll sell you a complete truck this time. :p:D

Products Discussed in

To Top