Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lifting a 2WD using 4WD shocks/springs?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
erotomania is on a distinguished road
erotomania's Tacoma Gallery
Lifting a 2WD using 4WD shocks/springs?

My factory shocks have been pretty shot for a while and once I built a 2" spacer for the front, they completely gave up. I haven't found any decent replacement shocks for the 2wd tacomas. I'm curious if I could make a new top hat and use the 4WD Bilstein 5100's with toytec's springs. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it or if I'm missing something in my logic.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by erotomania View Post
My factory shocks have been pretty shot for a while and once I built a 2" spacer for the front, they completely gave up. I haven't found any decent replacement shocks for the 2wd tacomas. I'm curious if I could make a new top hat and use the 4WD Bilstein 5100's with toytec's springs. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it or if I'm missing something in my logic.
By 2wd and 4wd do you really mean 5 lug vs 6-lug?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a 2wd Prerunner (truck has 6 lugs per wheel), then you can use the same parts from a 4wd Tacoma. If the truck has 5 lugs per wheel, the suspension components are different and are not compatible.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you have a 2wd Prerunner (truck has 6 lugs per wheel), then you can use the same parts from a 4wd Tacoma. If the truck has 5 lugs per wheel, the suspension components are different and are not compatible.
this
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This is really a question of mine also, seems all the 6 lug guys here aren't picking up on what your asking. You are asking if a 6 lug shock / coil set-up can be modified to fit into a 5 lug right? Like chopping the two up and welding them back together to change the mounting points. If it could be done someone would have done it by now, plus the upper and lower ca's are different on the 6-lug.