1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 tacomas having start problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by deadbolt, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Nov 14, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    nocarsallowed

nocarsallowed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4X4 - Access Cab
    NO MODS YET! 20" Enkeis with NT420 performance tires coming soon...inspired by genxer36.
    So you're saying since it's only some customers that have the TSB problems the company feels it can still use the cheaper parts (like on the rear springs) for the later year models. This is a bad impression the company is making on itself for its quality. Down the road you're going to see Toyota's "reliability" reputation dissappear - a rep they worked very hard to acheive when competing with the big three.

Ford and GM sales pitch is pointing to the fact that Toyota's quality has been slipping. Or that their own quality has caught up with the Japanese automakers! Or that time when Toyota blamed it's 2.5 million customers for causing the engine sludge problems and refused to reimburse expenses (of course later the company changed its mind only because 2.5 million people can make a significant impact on their future sales - LOL).

2. Nov 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I have had it happen one time when the truck had under 1000 miles and I did not really think about it since it has not happened again. Yesterday I hooked up Toyota's Tech stream lap top and checked for a software update and it has the most current software for the 2008 no updates available the TSB for the 2005-2007 software update can not be used on the 2008. I also checked the health of all the computers systems in the truck and they all passed the test. We will need to wait and see if a update comes out for the 08.

3. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    ozmon420

ozmon420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    miami, florida
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    18x9 pro comp 7031 rims, alpine iva-d310 w/sirius sat radio, ipod connection, tv tuner, reverse camera, bug deflector, wet okole seat covers, tinted windows, running boards, toytec coilovers front set at 2.5'' , AAL rear,5100's rear, TC UCA, leer topper, bruteforce rear bumper, ARB rear locker.
    i have an 08 taco and ive noticed that it takes a while to start after turning the key
    its kinda of anoying but its never not started it just takes longer than my last vehicle considering its brand new is there a tsb for this i would like to get this fixed.

4. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt [OP] do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    There is actually no tsb for the 08s man. Sucks!!

5. Nov 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    just hit around 6500 miles on the odo, I've noticed excessive cranking and on one occasion it started then died, and I had to restart it. It cranks just a bit longer than I feel it should, especially for a vehicle this new.

6. Nov 17, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not the thread I wanted to see. No problems per say, but I've noticed this truck takes longer to start than my 92 Accord did. It had 310,000 miles. My wifes van even starts faster, shoot all the vehicles I've had start faster than my Taco. As long as it starts every time and I see no drastic changes I'm cool with it.:cool:

Can't freakin believe it....got off work, went out and cranked the brand new 4000 mile Taco, and cranked and cranked and it fired once and died. Not even an hour after reading this thread. Man that sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top