1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plasti Dip or Spray Paint Emblems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GoDeacsWFU23, Nov 15, 2011.

?

Plasti Dip or Spray Paint on Emblems

Poll closed Dec 15, 2011.
  1. Plasti Dip

55.1%
  2. Spray Paint

45.8%
  1. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    Just as it states, lets find out what the majority of everyone likes.

2. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I like plastic dip because you're able to change it to another colour if you wish. Just tear it off and put another colour on. If you use spray paint then it's going to be more of a pain in the ass to remove and add another colour. Or if you wanna go back to the chrome you can with plasti dip, spray paint would be more difficult.

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    GoDeacsWFU23

GoDeacsWFU23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clemmons, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport
    I want it to last but not sure how to take the emblems off and reapply them without messing up the vehicle paint or breaking the emblem. Also I am not sure if I want to deal with having to realign the emblems and put new 3m tape on the back.

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    YoaterBoater

YoaterBoater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    X2
    Taking each letter off is way too time consuming. All you have to do is carefully spray the emblem and peel it off slowly. Also helps to use an exacto knife while its still wet so it doesnt peel off as one whole piece.

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    J0hnMata

J0hnMata Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    BHLM, bilstein 5100's, satoshi grillcraft grill, k&n cold air intake, tinted windows all around, interior map and dome light led's, hid fog lights and headlights, yellow fog light lenses, black lower valence.

2nd gen letters are one piece, just be careful not to bend them when u take them off or they will snap in half

6. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    plasti dip.. original glue seems more reliable than double sided tape.. could be wrong

7. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    onesixseven

onesixseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Santa Clarita California
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3.5" Kind Coilovers Total Chaos UCA's 31" BFG A/T's 8000k hi/lo HID kit Flowmaster Super 44 5% tint all around exterior LED's Deck Plate Mod bedlined flares debadged Full Fosgate/JL Audio Stereo
    plastidip because i can apply w/o too much prep, also, it gives a nice tacky look. id do spray paint though if i just got a brand new truck, cuz then you could actually prime, paint, and clear coat, and call it a permanent deal. my .02

8. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I vote spray paint.

Plasti-Derp looks good for a while, but after it's on for a little bit, it can start to look a little bit like shit.

Fink

9. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    TheGrinch

TheGrinch Cheese Head.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    RP, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DCSB OffRoad on 33's
    6" procomp lift
    step by step. there is a few threads on here on how to do it. i think. (still would have to do all this with derp too, but then when the derp is fucked up, youll have to do it again or look wierd)
    1. blue painters tape around the emblems, so replacement is easy and spot on (doesnt hurt the paint at all).
    2. grab some gardening gloves or any gloves, some 20-30 lb test fish line, and a hair dryer.
    3. heat up the emblem for a few minutes, it gets the adhesive loosened up. take the fishing wire, with the gloves on, and get the wire behind the emblem. u a saw motion, and it cuts through it and pops off.
    4. do that for all of them, and get some paint thinner, (wont hurt the clear coat) to remove all the excess stickyness from the emblems and the truck.
    5. sand the fuck outta them, washem, dry em.
    6. when dry, hit them with some primer, one or two coats, i did two. then three or four coats of paint. i used KRYLON FUSION SATIN BLACK. (i didnt want the glossy look)
    7. OPTIONAL- i used a satin clear coat and hit a Light, real light, coat on them.
    8. THE WORST PART- it took me and hour, but u can do it. take the 3m double sided adhesive, its the grey kind, cut into pieces, and stick on the back of the emblems, peel off and slap back on the truck.

if you want more details or anything PM me. i can get you more details and help you through it all.

mine have lasted for about 6 months now, and i get muddy all the time, and rain and squeeze through trees. all when i hunt. and they still look as if i just did em.

see the sig for a pic of em. (they just have a little dust on em from the dirt roads)

10. Nov 16, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    rmWise1

rmWise1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Shorty Antenna...
    I have several things plast-dipped on my truck, and I see now why some people do NOT like it - some parts just should be done "right" the first time, like wheels. Stuff is chipping fast, I'm peeling it off soon and getting them powder-coated.

However, if there's one thing you SHOULD plasti-dip, it's the emblems. I've had it on for about 6 months now, no chips or anything. It was TOO easy. Power washing doesn't affect them.

So, my vote for the emblems, plasti-dip.

11. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Bridgeman

Bridgeman TRD burglar

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Opelika, Al
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 Speedway Blue
    I just had my emblems painted to the body color...speedway blue. It was really easy to take them off. I just used a platic spreader used for bondo and the emblems popped right off. Took a little bit of time to clean off the rest of the double sided tape but it looks good. Ill have pics up soon

12. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Use 8 or 10lb fishing line to cut the tape off, then the rest of the sticky goo will come off easy by hand or use some bug and tar remover.

I'm with paint vs. plasti dip. Plasti dip just doesn't hold up very well and tears easy.. Paint will hold up longer.

As for time spent, I spent about 20 min longer painting then I did plasti dip. Re-taping the 3m tape took the longest out of everything..

13. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I took off back toyota and tacoma emblems and put in a box. Plasti dipped the front logo black.

I like the no chrome look.

14. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    Fargin Bastage

Fargin Bastage Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fargin
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Had to tip the vote over to the plastidip side. :cool:
    I blacked out all my emblems with it the other day. It was easy to cleanup and done in 2 hours, and I can go back to chrome later if it gets scratched up.

15. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    i say plastidip and rock it for a while.... if you like it, keep it until it starts to peel or look like crap, then just redo it with paint. not like plastidip is so gosh darn expensive anyways. just go pick up a can or two at lowes for a few bucks per can

16. Nov 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    I say spray paint because I did my in plastidip and it came out all porous, I redid it with spray paint and a much smoother surface

17. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    i do have a question, because at one point, i was going to put some 2nd gen badges on my truck after i painted them black. i already had them painted then i went ahead and sold them cuz i changed my mind. but out of curiosity, how did you go about putting them back on? was it not a pain to get tape on them without worrying about water getting behind them now and causing rust issues? thats the biggest thing i was worried about... is putting them on. i feel dumb asking this question, but thats kinda what kept me from doing the black 2nd gen badges on my 04 prerunner

Whitetrash likes this.
  18. Nov 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    TheGrinch

TheGrinch Cheese Head.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    RP, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DCSB OffRoad on 33's
    6" procomp lift
    It def was the hardest part, but not hard as in physical, just time consuming to cut all the pieces. I took 3m outsoor double sided adhesive (grey foam inbetween, red peel off, and says can hold five pounds), and just started cutting little pieces. Took badge after badge and just kept finding spaces it would fit. Little easier then trying to cut specific pieces IMO. Also would use a exacto blade to cut the excess off if it was too big. Then stuck em all back on. For the rust, I wasn't worried too much... Actually never crossed my mind. But don't think its a big deal since the badges arnt metal. And rust would only come to a scratched door behind the badge of water got behind. I think u would have been fine, all in all it took me an hour to cut the pieces while watching football, and that'd covered most of the badges and slapped em on. Been so far for close to a year

19. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    i plastidiped mine

20. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    chris duby

chris duby This is where I write something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
    6" Lift, 22x12 Xtreme Force XF8 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers...
    Spray Paint for sure... :D

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top