Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Observations

Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Silver12 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Silver12's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Observations

I've had my 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 for a couple of weeks now and have made some observations.
First the 12s have a new hood, fenders and grill so swapping my hood for a sport hood may have to wait awhile. The dealership wants $695 for a new hood plus paint.

I've noticed the navigation system is lacking a couple of things. First the vehicle information isn't available on this truck. Second the integrated back up camera doesn't display the lines as does the smaller ones in the rearview mirrors.

I've also noticed a wind noise that I haven't diagnosed quite yet. I've thought it was a rear door not shut tightly but that's not it.

The wait for a truck with the Nav was definitely worth it! The upgraded stereo including the sub is awesome. Im very happy with this truck and I haven't even had it off road yet. The above observations aren't really huge things but since its a new truck I thought I would share with anyone considering a new truck.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver12 View Post
I've had my 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 for a couple of weeks now and have made some observations.
First the 12s have a new hood, fenders and grill so swapping my hood for a sport hood may have to wait awhile. The dealership wants $695 for a new hood plus paint.

I've noticed the navigation system is lacking a couple of things. First the vehicle information isn't available on this truck. Second the integrated back up camera doesn't display the lines as does the smaller ones in the rearview mirrors.

I've also noticed a wind noise that I haven't diagnosed quite yet. I've thought it was a rear door not shut tightly but that's not it.

The wait for a truck with the Nav was definitely worth it! The upgraded stereo including the sub is awesome. Im very happy with this truck and I haven't even had it off road yet. The above observations aren't really huge things but since its a new truck I thought I would share with anyone considering a new truck.
Congrats and thanks for the write up. This is coming from a guy with no expieriance of a 2012 tacoma yet but I have been researching them very much. I have read in a thread that there is a whislting noise at speeds around 40 mph and up. On the 11's it was thought to be the windshield molding and some people got them replaced with no luck. Someone else however said they determined their noise was from the door weatherstripping and when they pulled it in while driving the noise was almost non existant. Wonder if that helps out.

The no vehicle info is too bad, I guess a scan gauge may be necesary after all. I'm sure at some point someone will figure out how to integrate it into there dash screen. Toyota said the Entune is designed with the ability to update apps as they become available. Maybe that is something we can look forward to.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Still waiting on mine hope it was worth it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Probably got one with the not sealed properly windshield. It has been a problem
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Op. color match your grille you will like the results
Old 11-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
415HHH is on a distinguished road
415HHH's Tacoma Gallery
2012 DCSB, about 3 weeks now to. Haven't noticed the wind noise yet. The entune is pretty sweet. The stereo sounds just as good as my Audi w/ factory Bose, and your right about the sub.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Newhouse is on a distinguished road
Newhouse's Tacoma Gallery
I also notice when I flipped the spare tire that the valve stem is standard, not the tpms type. The spare tire on my old 2007 had the steel/metal valve stem with tpms sensor.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1youluv2hate View Post
Op. color match your grille you will like the results
yes
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
TG8 is a splendid one to beholdTG8 is a splendid one to beholdTG8 is a splendid one to beholdTG8 is a splendid one to beholdTG8 is a splendid one to beholdTG8 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trey
TG8's Tacoma Gallery
do you think you can switch out the 11' stereo with the 12' touch screen?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
how is the standard stereo?.. also, is there bluetooth for hands-free cell phone use included (standard)?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
Dan44 is on a distinguished road
Dan44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
how is the standard stereo?.. also, is there bluetooth for hands-free cell phone use included (standard)?
No that comes with the upgraded radio (well worth it)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG8 View Post
do you think you can switch out the 11' stereo with the 12' touch screen?
According to the dealers I spoke with, this is not possible because Toyota is not selling the head units separately. They come in the car, and any replacement must have the original sent back.

That seems kind of stringent to me, but whatever. There are cheaper and better head units out there.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #13

So... just returned from the 12s first road trip... about 290 miles... haven't filled the tank yet tonight so I will post the gas mileage in the morning.

First.. the air leak noise isn't heard until 35 or 40 like you all said... when I washed it the other day I kept the hose around the windshield because I did suspect the seal wasn't right. I found no leaks but that honestly isn't a scientific test.

The bluetooth on the upgraded stereo is absolutely fantastic. It mutes the radio when on the phone... the voice options are perfect... and the steering wheel controls are quite handy as well.

One important thing I learned from the all interstate road trip was that the fog light button and the rear diff lock button are too close together! Luckily the truck is smart enough not to engage at highway speeds! Not sure of a solution to this one except more attention from me.

The truck drove wonderfully ... the cruise control held steady even through some hills. Once set the accelerate and decelerate worked properly. The obvious solution to the wind noise is the steering wheel volume controls. The volume (down) controls on the GPS is appreciated as well. The bitch in the the box can be quite annoying if you don't do exactly what she says. Ironic they gave it a womans voice? Haha just kidding!..... well maybe
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
No that comes with the upgraded radio (well worth it)
here's what i found in the 2012 e-brochure, spec sheet:

AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, SiriusXM Satellite Radio
3 (includes three-month trial subscription to XM Select Package), auxiliary audio jack, USB4 port with iPod®5 connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth®6 wireless technology

in the columns for the Double Cab 4x2 and Prerunner/4x4 is says this is standard..
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver12 View Post
So... just returned from the 12s first road trip... about 290 miles... haven't filled the tank yet tonight so I will post the gas mileage in the morning.

First.. the air leak noise isn't heard until 35 or 40 like you all said... when I washed it the other day I kept the hose around the windshield because I did suspect the seal wasn't right. I found no leaks but that honestly isn't a scientific test.
Check the door weather stripping for the wind noise at speed. I read that this was the problem for some and not the window trim.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
tpr676 is on a distinguished road

tpr676's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elytravis View Post
Check the door weather stripping for the wind noise at speed. I read that this was the problem for some and not the window trim.
Is there a tsb or better yet why has toyota not fixed the problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr676 View Post
Is there a tsb or better yet why has toyota not fixed the problem.
There was a windshield TSB for 2005 and I guess there is a TSB for 2011:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...sh-2011-a.html

Crapy response:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...one-fixed.html

Here is the driver door window weather stripping referance I was refering to:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ck-window.html

hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf windshield TSB[1].pdf (144.0 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 AM   #18
Tacobato is on a distinguished road
Name: Noel
Tacobato's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my DCSB last Oct 15th.
When I asked my son to drive while I was at the backseat, I notice the wind noise coming from the rear sliding window.FYI.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
I am very happy with my 2012.Very solid and nice radio.I like the USB port and satelite radio.First tank of gas I got 18.7 and second tank 21.3.Not bad for a 4X4 V6.I do wish they came with the fuel average and instant mpg computers so a scangauge would not have to be stuck on the windshield or dash.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #20

Hey everyone especially Travis... thanks for the info on the air leak.

For those interested the gas mileage was 17.85 mpg... I'm surprised it wasn't a little higher on an all interstate trip... but it is better than the V8 I had in my 2000 Dakota.