1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hitting bump stops

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Seskaf, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Seskaf

Seskaf [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    TN
    2006 DC Sport with camper shell and dog box. Leaf springs are not strong enough, when I hit a decent bump the rear end hits the bump stops. Also has a slight lean to the back. Looking for the best fix. Is it as simple as an AAl, if so what are your suggestions.

2. Nov 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    new leaf pack

3. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There is a suspension TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) but, since yours is a 2006, it will not be covered by your warranty. The suspension TSB was for your exact problem and replaced the stock leaf pack with a heavier one. At this point you have several options. You could throw an add a leaf on there but it will be a temporary fix. Putting an AAL on a tired leaf pack will work for a while but it will flatten out in a hurry and you'll be in the same boat next year and down $100. The best option would be a replacement leaf pack but it can be expensive. Air bags are a good option, especially if you spend a lot of time loaded down or towing. You can adjust the amount of pressure in the air bags to compensate for the load. Last option I can think of is Timbrens which are basically very tall bump stops but they are designed to support a load (they're not hard, solid rubber like the stock ones).

4. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, welcome to TW my friend, and the short answer is yes an AAL can help, you can look up what I've done to my truck and it works very well. I would also point out that there are oodles of threads here dealing with this very topic, check out the search function under 2nd gen and type in 'aal' or 'leaf spring TSB' and you will find that this has been discussed heavily on this site.
    I carry a lot of constant weight in the back and didn't want to install new leaf springs so i went with Wheeler's 2 inch AAL's, Billie 5100 shocks and Firestone Ride Rite air bags and I couldn't be happier.

5. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    search air bags...the suspension kind not the steering wheel kind.

Products Discussed in

To Top