Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I've got some good news but more so some bad news

Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Avman2119 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Avman2119's Tacoma Gallery
I've got some good news but more so some bad news

Well I've traded my Tacoma in for a F350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab. I needed more tow power for the camper and mainly for the recently acquired race trailer and race car. I'm sad to have gotten rid of my Taco but at the same time, she struggled a little too much in the hills when towing and I felt really bad for her. Maybe someday I'll be back on here if my g/f ever decides on what she wants to buy for her :-)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
luco1029 is a jewel in the roughluco1029 is a jewel in the roughluco1029 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Lucas
luco1029's Tacoma Gallery
Pics of the 350?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Great story
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avman2119 View Post
Well I've traded my Tacoma in for a F350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab. I needed more tow power for the camper and mainly for the recently acquired race trailer and race car. I'm sad to have gotten rid of my Taco but at the same time, she struggled a little too much in the hills when towing and I felt really bad for her. Maybe someday I'll be back on here if my g/f ever decides on what she wants to buy for her :-)
Nice! lets see the race car! I would definitely prefer a full size for towing, don't listen to the doucher above me
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what race car? an enclosed trailer?

is the new rig diesel? i wouldnt tow a hug load with the tacoma. i think you made the right move.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what race car? an enclosed trailer?

is the new rig diesel? i wouldnt tow a hug load with the tacoma. i think you made the right move.
+1
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah too bad tow package does not include 4.10 or at least 3.90 gears on V6. Towing would be easier with that
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Yeah too bad tow package does not include 4.10 or at least 3.90 gears on V6. Towing would be easier with that
Only if they did something with the transmission gearing. I think the final gearing (overdrive) is already too low on the Tacoma. It seems to rev high at highway speeds in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a great truck, definatily cant go wrong with a F350 Super Duty Lariat! Those are really nice pickups! You will miss the Tacoma gas mileage though but once you start towing stuff you will love that Ford!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Only if they did something with the transmission gearing. I think the final gearing (overdrive) is already too low on the Tacoma. It seems to rev high at highway speeds in my opinion.
I am fine with Auto gearing. I think 3.90 would allow tranny to stay on 5th longer. I had been pulling max load and found that especially on hills 4th can't keep up. 3.90 probably would be perfect but they are hard to find.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Avman2119 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
Avman2119's Tacoma Gallery
Yes its the 6.0L Power Stroke. The race car is a 77 Porsche 911 SC that I will begin towing this year. The trailer for that is enclosed. We also have a 79 911 SC which is stock but still goes to the track on an open trailer. Both cars are my girls dads but i will be learning to drive the full race one this year. Plus we have a camper and we have a boat and wave runner to use when we want so I'll be the one on the highway with a train of toys behind it :-). I do miss some things about my tacoma but so far gas mileage isn't far off and it'll be a hell of a lot better when towing. See pics below...

New Truck.

Full Race car in front and the other track car on the right... also enclosed trailer right behind it

Our camper

The truck handled the weight fine but struggled A LOT on hills and even more the mountains.

Like I said, I will miss my Tacoma but I already love this truck for what I need it for.

Its an 06 F350 Lariat 6.0L Power Stroke with less than 45k miles on it.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I think you made the right move.

Now you just need to get yourself an old Yota for a trail rig and tow that with the Ford.

Fink
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
padarinsmith is on a distinguished road
Marines: CPL CAC 3rd Marines
padarinsmith's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ Ya
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
Boy I hope you have better luck with your 6.0 psd than I did with mine. In two years I owned it, I put a little over $10K into engine repairs, over and above what I paid for the truck. I had to replace the egr and oil coolers 3 times in 50,000 miles (and I wasn't towing anything with it) - they are totally prone to failure. I finally bought the Bullet Proof Diesel egr/oil kit, but then started having other issues. People warned me not to buy a 6.0, but I didn't listen. Again, I wish you the best, but those motors are really ticking time bombs, especially if you are going to tow.

I also suggest you join the Diesel Stop forum. If you don't already, you will learn a tremendous amount about the 6.0, and what you can do to minimize the problems and strengthen the weak parts. There are some really sharp guys over there, much like this forum.

Good luck. Oh and nice Porsche.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes its the 6.0L Power Stroke. The race car is a 77 Porsche 911 SC that I will begin towing this year. The trailer for that is enclosed. We also have a 79 911 SC which is stock but still goes to the track on an open trailer. Both cars are my girls dads but i will be learning to drive the full race one this year. Plus we have a camper and we have a boat and wave runner to use when we want so I'll be the one on the highway with a train of toys behind it :-). I do miss some things about my tacoma but so far gas mileage isn't far off and it'll be a hell of a lot better when towing. See pics below...

New Truck.

Full Race car in front and the other track car on the right... also enclosed trailer right behind it

Our camper

The truck handled the weight fine but struggled A LOT on hills and even more the mountains.

Like I said, I will miss my Tacoma but I already love this truck for what I need it for.

Its an 06 F350 Lariat 6.0L Power Stroke with less than 45k miles on it.
Beautiful F350! I approve your decision now that I have seen it and glad we did not lose you to GM! lol Probably gonna get flamed for that but oh well, after all Ford was not standing in the bail out line back in 2008 if I recall correctly
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Name: Danny
kiteboarder's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Ford. Good call I think. I really like the Fords too.

As a sports car fan, those Porsches are GREAT! At some point I'll have a track car to tow too.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of11SuperwhiteTRD has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: George
11SuperwhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
good choice on the 6.0 i tradded in my 05 f250. i miss it sometimes but love the tacoma. anyway i never had any problems with my engine but the egr and the turbo were replaced before i bought it. i did however get the "death wobble". thats the reason i got rid of it.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Nice truck but bad engine.

live via
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
just a heads up...the 6.0 is known for having a fuel delivery issue. my bro is a diesel mech. i think he said its something to do with the pump and a injector. i can get more info if you would like.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing more fun than an air cooled 911 on the track.

I have 1981 SC. I drive to the track with my r-compounds.