Notices

Map Light/Dome Light Mod

Old 11-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
moloko4evr is on a distinguished road
moloko4evr's Tacoma Gallery
Map Light/Dome Light Mod

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to this forum.

I was just wondering if anybody has done that Map Light/Dome Light Mod (where both lights go on when opening the door, etc) on a 2011 Tacoma?
I desperately want to do it, but I am an electrical novice and would love to have step by step instructions so I don't screw anything up.

Any info would be great!

Thanks!
moloko4ever
Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
By no means have I seen it all, but I've never heard of that one.

Fink
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Are you trying to get more light when your doors are open? If so you can save yourself some time and wiring and throw some LEDs in there. Makes it so much brighter
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Are you trying to get more light when your doors are open? If so you can save yourself some time and wiring and throw some LEDs in there. Makes it so much brighter
This is great advice.

The pics I've seen of the LEDs make them look insanely bright. It's on my list...

Fink
Old 11-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't seen that one either. Are you wanting the light up front rather than in the back, or do you really want both at the same time?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
I'm crackin eggs of wisdom
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Curt (kūrt)
Shiftin2Sixth's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it and its fairly easy. Let me see if I can find the write up for you

Here you go: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ap+dome+lights

And the easy way: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...&postcount=158
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin2Sixth View Post

Nice work!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin2Sixth View Post

Nice find!

Fink
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my set up. Just changed the bulbs. The LED dome light is bright enough to see in the front without blinding you. If you turn on the LED's on the map lights then it's blinding lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Map Light/Dome Light Mod-dome-led.jpg   Map Light/Dome Light Mod-map-dome-led.jpg   Map Light/Dome Light Mod-oem-dome-light.jpg   Map Light/Dome Light Mod-dome-led1.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Hey there,

I found a way more easier way to do this mod...compliments of Sheppymach (see thread)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ght-mod-2.html

You don't need a diode. Just one wire, a disconnect, a tap splice and that's it!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Shiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shedShiftin2Sixth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloko4evr View Post
Hey there,

I found a way more easier way to do this mod...compliments of Sheppymach (see thread)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ght-mod-2.html

You don't need a diode. Just one wire, a disconnect, a tap splice and that's it!
That will work but without the diode wouldnt your dome light come on whenever you turn on a map light? The diode stops the power from coming back to the dome light letting you use your map lights independently
Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
I just went out to test it out to make sure.
The dome light doesn't go on when I turned on any of the map lights.
I don't know if it's because the 2011's are wired differently or not.
But it seems to work without the diode.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloko4evr View Post
I just went out to test it out to make sure.
The dome light doesn't go on when I turned on any of the map lights.
I don't know if it's because the 2011's are wired differently or not.
But it seems to work without the diode.
Right on! Well good job.