1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water sound when first moved???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cummins, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    Cummins

Cummins [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I am getting a sound that sounds like water running or gurling when I first take off.?.? I am thinking it maybe something to do with the transmission but curious if anyone ealse has heard this sound or anyhting like it??? My truck is a 2005 DC v6 Auto 4x4 and it has 199,???.

Thanks,
    Robert:)

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    When I first got my truck, everytime I backed out of the garage I heard "water" sloshing around, but then realized the sound I was hearing was the gas shifting in the fuel tank :D.

3. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Could be your heater core. Is it coming from behind dashboard?

4. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    Cummins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I never thought of the heater core. Ya it sounds like it is behind the dashboard. But I would not think that the heater core would make enough water noise to hear.?.?

5. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I had a car that used to do this, and from what I understood it was the heater core "filling up". Does the sound go away after 1st take off or you keep hearing it?

6. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Yeah it will. Eventually it will dump coolant on the floor. I had an s-10 that did that. You should try and see if thats the prob before it dumps.

I have seen 2 vehicals with that water noise and both times the heater core dumped its load to the floor.

7. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    Cummins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I will check it out tomorrow. Yes it goes away after I take off.

Thanks

8. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    wag225

wag225 Active Member

Member:
    Mine did that. The water pump was leaking. The sloshing water sound is due to the fact that there isn't enough coolant in the lines. It is coolant AND air. The sound goes away when the engine starts to warm up because the coolant is expanding and filling the lines.

9. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    Cummins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Well I have had to add coolent before but not added it in a few months. I am going to check it all out tomorrow and see what I can ocme up with. I want to thank everyone for their replies and the help.

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    21' Tundra Platinum & 08' TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's w/front's set at 1.75", TRD exhaust, Colormatched grill, Illuminated 4wd selector switch, BAMF Bolt on Sliders w/kickout.
    Let me know if adding coolant resolves the issue! I have noticed my 08' start doing the same thing! And when I just did my plugs and noticed that my coolant reservoir is low...

11. Nov 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If the heater core fails, it will leak. Its just a small radiator. If you do not use your heater often, water will not pass thru the heater core and it can have issues. I have had two fail in my life, but never heard a water noise prior. Maybe my stereo was too loud...:D

12. Nov 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    You should use your heater more then me since I am south of you :D. To answer your question, Yes, like putting your truck in 4x4 monthly to go thru the motions, let the water flow at times to flush out the stagnet water sitting in the heater core. :cool:

13. Nov 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Me too, lets 2 wheel sometime. We need to visit some close friends in Jacksonville, and it may be soon, or within the holiday season. Will let you know.

14. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    08TRDOFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's w/front's set at 1.75", TRD exhaust, Colormatched grill, Illuminated 4wd selector switch, BAMF Bolt on Sliders w/kickout.
    Does anyone know if the dealership tops off coolant as part of the "fluid fill" during an oil change?

I have a coupon for a free change at the stealership...thought I would take it in and see if they top it off.

If not I will spend the $22 a gallon for the coolant.

15. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    08TRDOFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Just an FYI, I called my local stearlership, they will top off coolant during a oil change. Just thought I would throw that out there if people are low on coolant and don't want to spend the money for the coolant. It should be included when they service the truck.

16. Nov 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Gurgling coolant sounds...sounds familiar to me. Mine's been doing it for years (both before and after the coolant was changed). Only drop in the reservoir was over 5 years which was normal for it to evaporate (and even after 5 years it was still above the minimum). I still check it regularly, but it doesn't ever go down (been right at the full line for almost 2 years since it was last changed). I'm thinking now that it's normal.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/73429-coolant-heater-core-sounds-normal.html

17. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    Cummins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Well it is better. I let the truck cool down and then took the coolent cap off and let it run for about 5mins. I am going to try it again and see if it will completely cure the sound.

Robert:D

18. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    This definitely sounds like a heater core issue. That does not necessarily mean your heater core is bad. It may just need to be purged of air.

Try this: Let the truck cool down enough so you can safely remove the radiator cap.
    Then jack the front of the truck up a good amount on a flat surface.
    Start the truck up and blast the heater on Hi, (turn the A/C switch off)

After about 5 minutes, shut the truck off, reinstall the radiator cap.
    Start the truck up again and check for the water sloshing noise again.

I know that the coolant reservoir tank is supposed to take care of this process but it doesn't hurt to try. Let us now what happens.

19. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    Cummins

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD

This is what I did except for jacking the front of the truck up. We have a pretty step ramp going into our welding shop so I will pull up on it and try that.

20. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    I agree you probably need to bleed the air out of your coolant lines. This happens on my old pickup. Same noise, like I have a babbling brook in my dash when i first start up. Air in the lines. Hard to get out, at least on the 3vze it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top