Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

questions when buying a 2006 Access TRD Off Road.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Camchateh is on a distinguished road
Name: Cam
Camchateh's Tacoma Gallery
questions when buying a 2006 Access TRD Off Road.

Just a newbie (lurker for awhile) with questions and looking for help, and I have the done the searches as best as I could. Here is a list that I have put together to have someone ask as they check a truck out for me. This would be 12 hours from where I live when roads are good and I need a truck.
Looking at 2006 access cab 6 speed, TRD Off Road, with tow package 120,000 Km in Canada
1) vibration at speed
2) Cold starting -block heater- I will be having -40 weather
3) A Trac- was only an option this year?
4) Wheel alignment (just done) hiding a recurring problem?
5) Clutch replaced? was this a problem for this year?
6) Air Conditioner fan squeal
7) speed bump clunk in rear end over speed bump?

Now my questions:
1. Are there other things that should be looked at?
2. Are there simple checks to do to identify problems?
3. Which are serious problems and which are simple to fix or live with?

Thanks
Cam
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camchateh View Post
Just a newbie (lurker for awhile) with questions and looking for help, and I have the done the searches as best as I could. Here is a list that I have put together to have someone ask as they check a truck out for me. This would be 12 hours from where I live when roads are good and I need a truck.
Looking at 2006 access cab 6 speed, TRD Off Road, with tow package 120,000 Km in Canada
1) vibration at speed
2) Cold starting -block heater- I will be having -40 weather
3) A Trac- was only an option this year?
4) Wheel alignment (just done) hiding a recurring problem?
5) Clutch replaced? was this a problem for this year?
6) Air Conditioner fan squeal
7) speed bump clunk in rear end over speed bump?

Now my questions:
1. Are there other things that should be looked at?
2. Are there simple checks to do to identify problems?
3. Which are serious problems and which are simple to fix or live with?

Thanks
Cam
ATRAC is only available on 09 and up TRD OR models with 4wd.

Just listen for throwout bearing noise. Everything else is pretty much ok.

live via
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
I have read (can't remember where while searching) that a sound (clunk like) could be heard when going over speed bump forward backward. Not sure if this was a spring issue, rear diff, or drive shaft. Wasn't paying as close of attention as I should have been. Not real sure of what years this was related with or level of seriousness.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
12 Hours away? Is it that good of a deal? How much are you getting it for?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Don't know if its that good of a deal (asking $18,000), but I live in an isolated north west part of Alberta and not much for choices. Would be a good 6 hours to nearest dealer. A vehicle would need to last me awhile and be reliable; won't have the finances to purchase another later or expensive repairs. I'm in my 60's now
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
18,000 may be a good deal.. It seems these trucks run a little higher your way. I say if everything checks out, with the mileage you speak of it should last a long time.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camchateh View Post
Don't know if its that good of a deal (asking $18,000), but I live in an isolated north west part of Alberta and not much for choices. Would be a good 6 hours to nearest dealer. A vehicle would need to last me awhile and be reliable; won't have the finances to purchase another later or expensive repairs. I'm in my 60's now
Seems like a pretty good price based off of California prices I'de say, 75k miles for 18k, Ide take it, got my 05 with 36k miles for 20,000 so seems like its about right, I would defintly talk to the seller and have him drop it a little more for you since your going on a Journey to go get, I know its not his problem but worth a shot if you havnt already.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
The clutch and throwout bearings are notorious on these trucks for be flimsy, the squeaky fan is common too I guess. I am glad I went with a 2.7 5 speed
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Yes, I have heard of clutches being replaced. That brings up when this happens does a stock clutch fix the problem, or an after market (up grade) needed. Any idea what cost this would entail. Thanks Cam

Ps. -35 here this morning, appreaciate your weather where ever you are.