Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squeaking noise from the backseat????

Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Name: Joel
billas333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to billas333
Squeaking noise from the backseat????

I do not know if anyone else has this problem or not but something is causing a squeaking/chirping noise from my back seat and I cannot locate the problem. It appears to be coming from the passenger side back seat and if I hit the backrest with my hand u can hear it but when the seat is down its not there.

The most annoying thing is it does this when I am driving and any slight bump make sit squeak. The sound is almost like a cricket and the bumpier it gets the more chirping I get.

I do have subwoofers installed behind the seat but that box is custom and is in their tight and there is no give in it at all to have it be the cause. I think it is something inside the backrest but I have no clue.

Any suggestions??
Old 11-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
take a look at the seat belt adjusters and see if thats where the squeak is coming from.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
maybe the rubber strap that holds your jack in place below the seat?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Stop letting your spouse ride back there.

Burn!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
rodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodrigogudino's Tacoma Gallery
Damn tacomas have a lot of cheap made / cheap materials problems. I've had squeaking seats issues since I got my '07, and have taken it to the dealer 6 times under warranty, nothing seems to take 'em off and they don't want to change the seat!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigogudino View Post
Damn tacomas have a lot of cheap made / cheap materials problems. I've had squeaking seats issues since I got my '07, and have taken it to the dealer 6 times under warranty, nothing seems to take 'em off and they don't want to change the seat!
Is yours coming from the same spot as mine?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
rodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodrigogudino is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodrigogudino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billas333 View Post
Is yours coming from the same spot as mine?
Worse, I've had problems with the back rests of all the seats in my truck. Rear seat, passenger seat (seat & back rest) and of course the main problem coming from the driver's seat (and I'm not even over 180 lb). All have been resolved by changing the seat frames under warranty BUT the driver's seat, has been changed twice and they don't want to change the whole seat, even though the problem is still there.... I'll fight real bad for this..
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Noob
TheMadpants is on a distinguished road
TheMadpants's Tacoma Gallery
Hi there, my first post, but i have to ask, if you are concerned about a squeak, why did you buy a pick up truck?
I mean they are (despite the luxury they try and install)utility vehicles, and my Tacoma rides a hell of alot better then my first toyota hilux (1991)pickup did. That would squeak all over the place driving down a straight and flat road!
Personally, i love the squeaks, it means i ain't driving a car!

But that's just me...

Great Forum by the way! And good to meet you all!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible it's the seat back latch rubbing on latch mechanism? Use some towels behind the seat as a shim to see if it fixes the problem. If so, perhaps you could try mounting a rubber stopper back there that pushes the seat out.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I do have subwoofers installed behind the seat but that box is custom and is in their tight and there is no give in it at all to have it be the cause. Any suggestions??
How big is the sub, any chance that the bass has caused something to loosen up?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
its a pioneer 10" shallow mount so it puts out good base but its not thunder shaking. It is possible but how the hell can u tell for sure. I am pretty certain that the squeak is from the back rest of the seat however. I wonder if it is possible to take it apart
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
its a pioneer 10" shallow mount so it puts out good base but its not thunder shaking. It is possible but how the hell can u tell for sure. I am pretty certain that the squeak is from the back rest of the seat however. I wonder if it is possible to take it apart
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the JBL upgraded stereo w/ sub that is by no means a monster. With that said I have to keep a couple of shoprags between the back of my seats and the plastic behind it. It will squeak when the stereo is on and sometimes when drivin without the stereo on. The best way to find it for me was fold the seats down and one by one putting things back in its place to see what or where the squeak came from.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #16

Yea rob johnson might have been right it may be the latch mechanism I am not 100% sure. I actually have two 10" subs mounted back there in a custom box so all the plastic shit that was there I tore out. When the passenger side seat is down it does not seem to squeak so I am pretty sure its something to do with that backrest.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #17

I think I found the cause!!!! Went to the dealer this morning for routine maitenance and TSB inquiry. showed them the squeak and afterward the guy told me they needed more time too look at it and that becaus I have a subwoofer back there it could be a void of the waranty. I just looked at him like the ostrich avatar. Anyway I was just screwing around back there with the back rest unlatched and was jerking it up and down vertically and found the squeak. Seems to be coming from the joint closest to the door where the backrest pivots. Something is obviously loose. Anyway I think I may be getting the TSB done monday so I will show them again then.

Thanks for all the ideas