1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking noise from the backseat????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billas333, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Nov 14, 2008 at 3:22 PM
    billas333

billas333 [OP] They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    I do not know if anyone else has this problem or not but something is causing a squeaking/chirping noise from my back seat and I cannot locate the problem. It appears to be coming from the passenger side back seat and if I hit the backrest with my hand u can hear it but when the seat is down its not there.

The most annoying thing is it does this when I am driving and any slight bump make sit squeak. The sound is almost like a cricket and the bumpier it gets the more chirping I get.

I do have subwoofers installed behind the seat but that box is custom and is in their tight and there is no give in it at all to have it be the cause. I think it is something inside the backrest but I have no clue.

Any suggestions??

2. Nov 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    take a look at the seat belt adjusters and see if thats where the squeak is coming from.

3. Nov 14, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    maybe the rubber strap that holds your jack in place below the seat?

4. Nov 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Stop letting your spouse ride back there.

5. Nov 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

Burn!

6. Nov 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Is yours coming from the same spot as mine?

7. Nov 20, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    TheMadpants

TheMadpants Noob

Member:
    Hi there, my first post, but i have to ask, if you are concerned about a squeak, why did you buy a pick up truck?
    I mean they are (despite the luxury they try and install)utility vehicles, and my Tacoma rides a hell of alot better then my first toyota hilux (1991)pickup did. That would squeak all over the place driving down a straight and flat road! :)
    Personally, i love the squeaks, it means i ain't driving a car!

But that's just me...:eek:

Great Forum by the way! And good to meet you all!

8. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Because the squeak was not there to begin with meanings its coming from poor craftsmanship and for a truck that cost upwards of 26000 I do no think poor craftsmanship is what I want to pay for

9. Nov 20, 2008 at 11:53 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Is it possible it's the seat back latch rubbing on latch mechanism? Use some towels behind the seat as a shim to see if it fixes the problem. If so, perhaps you could try mounting a rubber stopper back there that pushes the seat out.

10. Nov 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    How big is the sub, any chance that the bass has caused something to loosen up?

11. Nov 20, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    its a pioneer 10" shallow mount so it puts out good base but its not thunder shaking. It is possible but how the hell can u tell for sure. I am pretty certain that the squeak is from the back rest of the seat however. I wonder if it is possible to take it apart

12. Nov 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    its a pioneer 10" shallow mount so it puts out good base but its not thunder shaking. It is possible but how the hell can u tell for sure. I am pretty certain that the squeak is from the back rest of the seat however. I wonder if it is possible to take it apart

13. Nov 20, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I have the JBL upgraded stereo w/ sub that is by no means a monster. With that said I have to keep a couple of shoprags between the back of my seats and the plastic behind it. It will squeak when the stereo is on and sometimes when drivin without the stereo on. The best way to find it for me was fold the seats down and one by one putting things back in its place to see what or where the squeak came from.

14. Nov 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Yea rob johnson might have been right it may be the latch mechanism I am not 100% sure. I actually have two 10" subs mounted back there in a custom box so all the plastic shit that was there I tore out. When the passenger side seat is down it does not seem to squeak so I am pretty sure its something to do with that backrest.

15. Nov 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    I think I found the cause!!!! Went to the dealer this morning for routine maitenance and TSB inquiry. showed them the squeak and afterward the guy told me they needed more time too look at it and that becaus I have a subwoofer back there it could be a void of the waranty. I just looked at him like the ostrich avatar. Anyway I was just screwing around back there with the back rest unlatched and was jerking it up and down vertically and found the squeak. Seems to be coming from the joint closest to the door where the backrest pivots. Something is obviously loose. Anyway I think I may be getting the TSB done monday so I will show them again then.

Thanks for all the ideas

Products Discussed in

To Top