Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question for Trifecta owners - tailgate seal

Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
sgtpepper is just really nicesgtpepper is just really nicesgtpepper is just really nicesgtpepper is just really nice
sgtpepper's Tacoma Gallery
Question for Trifecta owners - tailgate seal

Another tonneau post, sorry folks.

How does Extang handle the difference in height between the tailgate and the side rails?

I noticed the tailgate is about a 1/2 inch lower than side rails. Does the Trifecta have a bigger seal on the tailgate end? Or does everything just compress to where there's no gap with the tg?

I'm curious how well it seals, none of the posts I've read talked about this. I'm probably just being anal. I guess for 350 bux it better seal well from the factory.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
There is a larger/different type of rubber seal at the end for the tailgate.
There is adjustments on the sides were you can compress the rails down too. You can crank it down pretty good.
I used my trifecta for 4+ yrs in Vermont, snow, rain, ice, on and off no issues and bought another one for my tundra.
Automatic brushless car washes were the only time I saw any water in the bed & even that was very minor.
Also the side hinges do not give it a taut look but I didn't mind that.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
x2 ^

Surviving MA winters just fine. Just minimal spray inside the bed from the car wash.

Note: I've been using VINYLEX [about $8] on the exterior and it works great. Doesn't wear off after a week like Armorall or Son-of-a-Gun.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
My Trifecta seals ok. It's not like there's any water aggressively pounding on that seal at the back of the truck anyway. Even if it does leak, the water would run down the inside of the tailgate and out anyway. Mine seems pretty tight.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
upthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shedupthemaiden is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
upthemaiden's Tacoma Gallery
Are the brushless car washes the ones where the big arm swings around your truck and just sprays the jets of water at it? I've been afraid to try one of those with my cover on. I just have a roll up, but have a trifecta coming in the mail and was excited when I realized I could just pull my cover off to run it through a car wash. I guess you guys haven't had any issues running through them with the cover still on?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Also the side hinges do not give it a taut look but I didn't mind that.

I've noticed this on my HardHat as well. Didn't bother me either as the cover still appears to be on very securely.