1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tighten propeller shaft bolts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by the dude man, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    the dude man

the dude man [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey,
    I've been a long time lurker on this site and want to say how useful I've found it.

I bought a used DCSB base model about a year ago - and so far the thing runs like a champ on the road and off.

I have no idea what kind of service the previous owner had done. But I'm going to assume it's only ever had oil changes. I bought it at 30K miles and its at 43 now. Its going to be over $600 to get the 30k service done so I'm going to do what I can on my own and save some cash. I brought it to Midas yesterday for their winter service package - and asked them 'How many zerks did you do' And they had no idea what I was talking about - and the technicians looked at me like I was retarded. So I said 'you know - grease fittings - as in lube - as in lube, oil, filter' and the guy looked at me and said 'you mean like, lube the doors'. At that point i thought I'd better just do it myself or get it done at the dealership.

I've looked at the previous posts on how to do the diff's and transfer case, grease fittings on the drive shaft etc. But the one thing I cant find on here is - what nuts should I tighten on the drive shaft, and how much should I torque them?

Thanks

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    check out the fsm, its extremely helpful. lol at midas

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    1994 and earlier Toyotas drove everyone crazy. If I recall, there were 12 zerks just on the front steering.

4. Nov 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    BoredIdea

BoredIdea Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 Taco
    K/N, Redline Oils
    What size are the bolts? Are they identical?

Which type of grease gun is the best for the Zerks? A fixed line or a hose line?

5. Nov 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    I use a hose line...easier to get in there. Standard zeros.

6. Nov 21, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Flex line for the zerks. It would be just about impossible to the get the zerk next to the transfer case with a rigid line.

Products Discussed in

To Top