Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sounds like Hyper Drive engaging. Help?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
KillTaker is on a distinguished road

KillTaker's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like Hyper Drive engaging. Help?

Hey..
As soon as I start to accelerate a bit (right after starting the engine) I can hear a sound that seems to be coming from the back. The only way I can explain the sound is that it sounds like some sort of Star Trek thingy engaging? I have a 2011 DC Sport. This happens every time I start the car and begin to drive (but only once). Can anyone help me with this? Newbie to Tacoma's so it's probably an easy answer but I've no clue.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Cooling fan. The clutch is locked until the fluid inside heats up a bit.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillTaker View Post
Hey..
As soon as I start to accelerate a bit (right after starting the engine) I can hear a sound that seems to be coming from the back. The only way I can explain the sound is that it sounds like some sort of Star Trek thingy engaging? I have a 2011 DC Sport. This happens every time I start the car and begin to drive (but only once). Can anyone help me with this? Newbie to Tacoma's so it's probably an easy answer but I've no clue.

Thanks.
Isn't the hyperdrive from star wars? And warp speed from star trek?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Cooling fan. The clutch is locked until the fluid inside heats up a bit.
Yeah....the rear mounted cooling fan....that spins under the truck like a hovercraft. Nah I am pretty sure what you are hearing is the ABS self check. Sounds like kind of like a hydraulic pressurizing sort of noise....that only lasts for a second or so.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
Yeah....the rear mounted cooling fan....that spins under the truck like a hovercraft. Nah I am pretty sure what you are hearing is the ABS self check. Sounds like kind of like a hydraulic pressurizing sort of noise....that only lasts for a second or so.
Could be that too.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
KillTaker is on a distinguished road

KillTaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
Bingo! Exact sound. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
That's the sound of the flux capacitor. Completely normal.
Pretty sure the flux capacitor is available only on Access Cabs.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeJ View Post
Isn't the hyperdrive from star wars? And warp speed from star trek?
Warp Drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8nnMpV2Eo?version=3
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Lafordge was great on Reading Rainbow.