1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Brake and Rotor Questions (Can Tire)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VanCity4x, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Took Tacoma to Can tire 2-3 weeks ago and replaced serpentine belt and spark plugs. (85k miles) They didnt fill coolant or do anything else with the tune up. :( Checked the brakes and said 95% worn, need pads and machine rotors ($270) For the drums they said 30% worn and need to be serviced ($60) and a brake fluid flush ($100). No sound at all coming from brakes and they work great.

Is this pricy and do the rotors need to be machined? Im thinking of going to the dealership only they would charge to do a full tune up on top to check everything. Got charged $330 for belt and plugs before. Any sugestions welcome.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    bump, is that a good price?

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    KS63

KS63 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    It's a terrible price. I always resurface my rotors even of they are in fair condition. O'Reilly Auto Parts charge $10 a rotor. Ceramic pads were something like $45. If they said your rear drum shoes were 30% worn, why change it?

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    I know, they were really trying to push it on me. When should rotors be replaced, Bought truck with 65k and have 85k miles now? Dont know when they were last machined. When should brake fluid flush take place and what needs to be done to drums for maintainace?

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    KS63

KS63 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    Rotors only need to be replace if they are cracked or worn past a factory minimum thickness. Brake fluid flush if there is moisture in the lines or if it has a dirty black or brown color. The rear drum shoes typically last a lot longer than the front disc pads as they only supply roughly 30% of your brake load. The drums get machined too. You can do the labor yourself if you research it here.

6. Nov 22, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    $100 brake fluid flush is a rip-off! You can buy a hand pump for $30 and a bottle of brake fluid for like $10. Use youtube and watch a "how-to" video on how to do it. Use the rest of the money and buy 3 cases of beer.

7. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    First off, Crappy Tire is the last place I'd ever recommend someone taking a vehicle for service.

Secondly, $270 should get you a quality pair of new rotors, a set of pads, and installation. It's less than a 30 minute job after all.

I'd call a dealer and see what they quote you, and shop around from there.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I bought new german cadmium-plated rotors for less than $40 each.
    Axxis Deluxe pads for another $50 and enjoyed doing the job myself.
    Wait, I did need to use a 1/2" impact wrench for the caliper bolts after 100k mi of corrosion...then the job was easy.
    You dont' even need a bleeder bottle for the brakes...these cars are easy to gravity bleed...just start at caliper farthest from the master cylinder, crack the valve with a piece of tubing attached and run th old fluid into a jar.
    Monitor the fluid level in the MC.
    Easy.

9. Nov 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Oceanrunner

Oceanrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Many good points have been mentioned. Personally I change my brake fluid every year using a power bleeder. Brake fluid retains moisture and breaks down. For the amount of money you mentioned you could change brake pads and rotors with high quality replacement parts for much less. I always use EBC rotors and Hawk LTS pads. But not necessary.

However if your planning to take on the task yourself be sure you know what your doing. A good place to start is Youtube as mentioned by PPham444. If you have any questions I'm sure the board would be very helpful.

Also Rockauto.com is a great place to shop for parts.

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Thanks for the advice, going to get the brake fluid flushed since I have no clue when it was done last. Sounds like I should be paying under $300, $50 for machined rotors, $50 for brake pads, $50 for brake flush and $120 for labour. Ill see what the dealership can do.

11. Nov 24, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    Tacologist

Tacologist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Tenessee
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Shortbed
    Rear leaf suspension. Home done tailgate re-inforcement.
    My friend had a full brake fluid flush service. I checked the brake fluid resevior and it had new fluid in it. Then I went under the car with a shot glass and cracked open the bleeder nipple. The fluid that came out was black as tar.

He took the shot glass of fluid back to the place that did the work and being he is above excellent at raising hell, they agreed to give him a new flush and a few other things for free.

The only way to really be sure it, whatever it is, is done right or done at all, is to do it yourself. If you don't know how, the internet can show you. If you still lack the confidence, get a trusted friend that knows and will show you. If you don't know anyone who knows (too many video games out there that impeads the practical knowledge) then see if you can find a shop that will let you watch. That itself could be the toughest one of all.

In some instances, the rotors will be in good enough condition that they don't absolutely have to be turned.:crapstorm:It is not the best practice but I have changed a few sets of pads without turning the rotors, when my local shops were closed, with no apparent loss of braking power.

12. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    KS63

KS63 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD
    Like Tacologist said, have a friend who knows what they are doing before starting the job yourself. Although a brake job is straightforward and relatively simple, it's something you shouldn't take lightly. One you learn the basics you can do all you vehicle and save a ton of money. Good luck!

13. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I don't agree with machining rotors. Machining leaves a thinner metal section. Even though it's within spec it's less capable of handling the heat from a high speed stop when loaded and more susceptible to warping. You'll go great for months until you're hauling something heavy or pulling a trailer and have to stop hard a few times. Brakes will fade, then warp and start juddering with light braking and you'll swear at the 'lousy Tacoma brakes'.

If they are bad enough worn (with grooves cut into the surface) then replace them.. it's usually not nearly as much more expensive vs. machining, depending on where you get them, as you might think. If they are not grooved, cracked or otherwise worn just de-glaze with sand paper to roughen it up. It works just like a fresh-machined surface does and helps the new pads bed-in but leaves the full metal thickness of the rotor.

14. Nov 24, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Got quoted even more calling around :goingcrazy:My buddie is in his first year of auto tech training, he's replaced his brakes before. Ill order some pads and put them on after Christmas. Going to Phoenix soon. I have been told its good to a light buffing on the rotors so the pads dont squeel and ware down. $30 for a pump to flush brake fluid.

Thanks for the advice. I hate over paying especialy for simple jobs.

15. Nov 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Doin' your own brake jobs is one of the easiest ways to save big money over the years and it's not that hard... find the how-to on this site and follow it. Even $30 is too expensive to flush... it's just too easy. Especially with a pickup that has as much clearance as this. Get your buddy to help and share some beers after... you'll appreciate it with every $500 brake job you do yourself.

Products Discussed in

To Top