Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BHLM or Aftermarket Replacements

Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
markymark is on a distinguished road

markymark's Tacoma Gallery
BHLM or Aftermarket Replacements

2007 Taco - I'm thinking of doing the BHLM since one of my HL are fogging. Plus I like the look. However, I'm curious whether or not some of the replacements found on ebay are any good?

I don't mind doing the mod, but I don't have a lot of time these days, so if any of those "bolt on replacements" are any good, I may go that route and save the OEMs for backup.

I searched, but some results refer to brands I can't find, or the posts are pretty old.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Doing the BHLM on OEM headlights would be better in my opinion. The OEM headlight assembly is generally better quality than the Ebay ones. That being said, the Ebay ones work just fine. If you get a set off Ebay, run a bead of clear RTV silicone around the seam between the clear lens and the body to keep moisture from getting in. Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the Ebay headlights.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
I got a set of ebays and regret it, I sealed em up with silicone, still got moisture, also noticed the horizontal adjustment sucked on them.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Light output is not so great on the eBay ones not like your stockers.

Plus you get the satisfaction that you did it.

revotec is an okay brand.

But like Mike said run some silicone around them.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
My stock ones have alot of cracking on the inside of the lens. If yours are still clear than do the bhlm
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
My stock ones have alot of cracking on the inside of the lens. If yours are still clear than do the bhlm
Thats why I got the ebays, Im thinking im going to take the DTRL lense out of the ebays and put it in the oem ones, maybe the white reflector, not sure.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine on eBay and have been happy with them, no fogging. They are "Depo" brand.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Great info, which is one of the things I love about this forum.

What about the whole thing with baking them in your oven during the BHLM process, then cooking food in that same oven? I mean, it's scary to think that there could be some residual effects afterwards...or maybe I'd just get high every time I bake?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark View Post
Thanks for the replies. Great info, which is one of the things I love about this forum.

What about the whole thing with baking them in your oven during the BHLM process, then cooking food in that same oven? I mean, it's scary to think that there could be some residual effects afterwards...or maybe I'd just get high every time I bake?
Headlights are high in protein.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Headlights are high in protein.
Key word = HIGH