1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Whistling sound indentified

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Appljaxx, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    Does anyone know if the problem is solved by installing a bug deflector? I'm looking at non-OEM ones that would mount under the hood, and would think it would reduce that gap size even more.[/QUOTE]

I have the Toyota bug deflector on my 2012 and the whistle. They swapped my grill for a TSB fix, but it was scratched and made the whistle worse. I made them put my original grill back. I thought it was gone for a while, but when I raised the rear of the truck 3/4 inch and the whistle got worse. Go figure, just a slight change in aerodynamics I guess.

2. Aug 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    hogdoc

hogdoc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Id Ho
    So our 2 month old 2013 Taco has a whistle that my wife has been telling me about but hadnt had a chance to check out. We take a 400 mile drive Saturday and sure enough at 43 mph its like you flip a switch to turn on a whistle go below 43 and it turns off. Funny thing is with the drivers window down it sounded like it was right next to the mirror. So as I move my hand around the mirror when I get to the outside edge the whistle goes away. Fast forward to today my wife took the truck in to get the roof moulding that blew off replaced and told them about it, thier fix (according to what Toyota told them to do) was to stuff some open cell foam between the grill and the weatherstrip to "push it up tighter to the hood" !!! Well the noise is gone but the completly half a$$ed way they stuffed multiple pieces in there not only looks like crap, the open cell foam is going to fill up with dirt, bugs, water and anything else that passes the front of the hood,so this is going to get fixed the way you guys have posted.

I am a dealership mechanic for Harley, IF I was to do something this half a$$ed to a bike I was working on it would be back in my bay seconds after the customer looked at it.

Based on the problems weve already had with the selling dealership the free Toyota care will NEVER cost them a dime because they will never service our truck. Couple that with the way the SA treated my wife like crap over the roof moulding, IF we ever buy another Toyota it will be at a different dealership.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    HUH

HUH Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Ferntucky/Freakmont
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite DCSB Auto 4x4
    I am picking my 2013 up today. I took it in yesterday for the whistling sound. From what the service guy said, it sounds like they did the same thing with the foam stuff on mine. My truck is also a few months old. Hoping it doesn't look like crap either.

Jon

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    hogdoc

hogdoc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Id Ho
    If they use the same open cell foam they did on ours, it looks like crap!!!

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    HUH

HUH Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Ferntucky/Freakmont
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite DCSB Auto 4x4
    I kept that in mind when I went to pick it up yesterday. Apparently, they had the new foam all over and the service advisor had them clean it up. When I had him show me what was done, you could see a little bit of it where they trimmed it and cleaned it up. Overall, it's not too bad.

It's more disappointing that we even had to deal with this problem. The service guy also said that due to so many of these complaints they are going to have a TSB for the problem.

At least there is no whistling anymore.

Jon

6. Aug 8, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    I fixed mine the first time and it has never been a problem once over the past year since. Just use a 1/4" or slightly smaller aluminum dowel rod (solid not tube) from ace hardware or someplace. You can easily cut/trim the dowel rod to size as aluminum is fairly soft for metal. A small hacksaw worked like butter. Then if you want to, slightly sand the ends roundish (metal file or dremel), give a slight curve to the dowel (basketball helped) that matches the curve of the weather stripping, lube with your choice of lubricant and insert into the grill top weather stripping. Done. The aluminum is non corrosive, light, strong, and easier to install/remove than the tubing which may allow the noise to return over time. Never think of it again.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Aug 25, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    An apparently its on '13 as well…. so Yota has not fix it yet…. :mad:

going to try this mod soon… before I take to dealer…..

8. Aug 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM
    Naholo808

Naholo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    9th Island (Las Vegas)
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Off-Road 3inch lift 33s Ko2s Matte black SCS SR8 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 2wd - Traded In.
    I just notice this tonight while I was driving my truck. Thanks for the tip!

9. Aug 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    windhill

windhill New Member

Member:
    AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC V6
    Same problem in my 2013 DC V6 Tacomas which drives crazy. Went to the dealer 3 times and gained more than 200km for testing, the problem still there. I am going to try your way, thanks.

10. Aug 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    windhill

windhill New Member

Member:
    AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC V6
    I have same experience as u.

11. Sep 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Hmmm,

I have a new 2013 RC and it has the whistle, my diagnosis was a little more dangerous then all I have read, I just pulled the hood latch and drove up to 45ish, lol... Noise gone, will get my tubing or drip line, and install it this evening. I am going to check the alignment of the grill and see if it's something I can adjust myself,

Thanks again TW for helping me out. :D

FWIW don't got to the auto parts store and try rubber hose, lol... I should have paid better attention,

Ended up at Home Depot and got the drip line, 3.00 plus tax, and you have lots left over. lol...

Lubed it up, inserted. Whistle gone!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  12. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    HuskerHerm

HuskerHerm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD T/X Baja
    Dealer Security/Remote Start, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau, OEM Roof Rack, OEM Bed Mat, OEM Hood Protector, Cabela's WeatherTech's, 265/75/R16 DuraTracs, Icon Tubular UCA, AllPro 3" leafs, Allpro SS Brake Lines, Allpro UBolt flip, Timbren Bumpstops, Exhaust Relocate, Full RCI Aluminum Skids, RCI Sliders, 3M Clear Nose Bra, Direct Radar Wire, Window Tint, TRD Shift Knob, TRD Oil Cap, TRD Radiator Cap, DImMrYo Mirror Relocate, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Bracket, V5ioV Anytime Fog, Trimmed Mud Flaps, Trimmed Antenna to 18", Custom Yakima Bike Mounts, Electric Tailgate Pop-N-Lock, Custom APN settings to tether iPhone, Factory Tacoma black emblems, Relocated all traction control switches to under HVAC controls, and oh yeah... Supercharged.
    Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone. I had a whistling noise that was absolutely driving me nuts on my 2013 DC w/ factory Bug Deflector installed. Like the others have posted it started around 40mph and phased out around 55mpg. After reading this thread I went to Home Depot looking for some cheap tubing when I came across this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Build...Auto-and-Marine-Weather-Strip-01033/100175299

$8 bucks with a 10yr warranty. I installed a single strip across the entire length of the hood directly overtop the factory weather seal.

WHISTLE NO MORE!

13. Sep 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    uncleART

uncleART Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    UPDATE: It's been 2 months since I realigned my grill and the whistle is still gone!

14. Sep 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the follow up! I don't have the whistle, that I've noticed, but if I get it, I'll check this first.

15. Sep 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    reh7777

reh7777 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raf
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5 DCSB I4

Did this today, thanks for the awesome tip and pics! Annoying sound gone.

Something to add for those who have complaints, I realize its annoying and can get bothersome especially if fix requires dealer work. It doesnt matter if its Toyota or any other auto manufacturer. There's always something. And yes, its frustrating when dealerships don't fix. Perhaps the blame can be set from the litigious nature of how things work nowadays to cost factors of running a business. I hate it too. BUT, I have to say, I'm overall happy with my Tacoma. More happier than any other new vehicle I have purchased since. Some cars I bought pretended to be fully equipped with fancy new gadgetry, etc etc but you can tell those mini add ons were put there to suck you in.

Not with my DC Prerunner Taco! And did I mention I'm a happy 4 banger driver. Awesome truck. :D

16. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    Komrade

Komrade Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DBCB 4x4 MT
    Thanks to this forum (sharing members), internet and google, this problem was fixed within 12 hours of buying a 2013 Tacoma and saving me a trip to the dealer.

HD no longer sells dripping line, but I picked up some 1/4 clear pipe in the plumbing section (used for aquarium and insulation as the label said). Put it above the headlights "just in case". Slight (but extremely annoying) whistling seems to be gone.

Thanks again to OP.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  17. Sep 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    I had found this thread a few weeks back because i was having the same whistle on my '13….. I was going to give this a try but never got around to do so….. yet, in the mean time, I aquired a base model taco grill, to swap out my chrome off-road one…. and luckly the whistle is now gone……
    I'm posting this for those that may still doubt that the issue is not on grill weather stripping, but on the windshield…
    I very much believe it is the grill after my experience!!! good luck everyone, if the whistle start, ill try the strip mod!

18. Sep 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    joelt

joelt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    I began to notice the whistling annoyance a few weeks back. I've had the Taco about 4 months now, and just assumed it was an aerodynamics issue...and kinda just accepted it. After finding this post, I rolled out to Lowe's and got some 1/4 inch distribution tubing. After cutting it and lubing it with spit, I slid right into the weatherstripping just above the grill. NO MORE WHISTLING! Thanks, OP!

19. Sep 29, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    brian121599

brian121599 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB SR5 4x4
    16x8 Dick Cepek Rims, 265/70 16, Lund Gensis Elite bed cover
    Thank you!! Thank you!! Had my 2013 DC Tacoma for three days and the whistling sound started. Drove me and my wife nuts! You guys saved me!! 5 minute fix! Added tubing to all foam trim around hood, whistling GONE!!! Thanks again

20. Sep 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    jaeforceone

jaeforceone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jae
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport

Does this mean doing this mod on your own voids your warranty?

Products Discussed in

To Top