Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Whistling sound indentified

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #21
jcom is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
jcom's Tacoma Gallery
whistling noise fixed

i had the same whistling noise. It was coming from where grill meets the hood. Dealer used some washers to raise the grill up and tighten the weather stripping gap between the hood and grill. The noise is gone!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on this? After three weeks with the truck, it started whistling at about 45MPH, real quiet but annoying. Sounds like its coming from the windshield. Today was the first really cold day, I wonder if that caused it?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
usmc91 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
usmc91's Tacoma Gallery
Service Dept ran a hard plastic dowel rod through the front rubber stripping. Svc Mgr said the rubber was too soft, rod now is creating resistance against any wind...no more whistling noise.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
r6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the rough
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer ship is putting on a new windshield today, we will see if that works

-D
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #25
r6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the roughr6hokie is a jewel in the rough
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
They ended up just reasealing the windshield and also putting spacers where the grill mounts at the top

Both of these together have fixed the noise for now, if the noise comes back I will post again
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
cpaul is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
cpaul's Tacoma Gallery
I inserted a 1/4" diameter length of round copper tubing into the gasket (much like the dealer did in one of the posts above) and that resolved the whistle for me.

Seems like they need a seal made of stronger rubber.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #27
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Soooooo in about three years or so Toyota will issue a TSB on this?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #28
cpaul is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
cpaul's Tacoma Gallery
That or they'll claim it's a deer prevention device.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #29
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
it would be really cool if you could post a pic of what they did

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaul View Post
I inserted a 1/4" diameter length of round copper tubing into the gasket (much like the dealer did in one of the posts above) and that resolved the whistle for me.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #30
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc91 View Post
Service Dept ran a hard plastic dowel rod through the front rubber stripping. Svc Mgr said the rubber was too soft, rod now is creating resistance against any wind...no more whistling noise.
Confirmed. Thank you soooo much for posting this. I used a 1/4 in plastic drip line to reinforce the weatherstrip and now no whistle at any speed.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #31
r6hokie's Tacoma Gallery
pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post
Confirmed. Thank you soooo much for posting this. I used a 1/4 in plastic drip line to reinforce the weatherstrip and now no whistle at any speed.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #32
75PSI or bust!
xmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
xmadcowx's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #33
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1.4" plastic drip line. Just shove it inside the weather strip and presto.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
Commanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really nice
Commanderwiggin's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think I had this issue...until I went for a long drive this week lol. I will be fixing this ASAP!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
Rosesplus is on a distinguished road

Rosesplus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaul View Post

This is a fix!! I put a 1/4" plastic hose through the stripping.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
jonatay is on a distinguished road
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post

I too used a 1/4" plastic tubing to resolve my whistling noise. $5 for a 3' plastic hose at O'Reilly's is much better than waiting in line for the dealership to figure it out. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Will definitely keep this thread on hand when they find me my taco!(If they ever do find one..without having toyota having to build it..meh lol)
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #38
applawman will become famous soon enough

applawman's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a 3' piece of 1/4" OD plastic icemaker tube from ACE Hardware for about $1 and fixed the whistle on my truck. Thanks for the idea guys!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #39
ncpeacefrog is on a distinguished road
ncpeacefrog's Tacoma Gallery
wind noise

not glad to hear you had the same problem, but this was also my only complaint about my 2012 toyota tacoma. we also taped every seam and ended up that taping the center weather strip region between the hood and grill always got rid of the noise. the toyo place attempted to adjust the height of the hood which improved the noise but did not eliminate it. they then replaced the weather stripping in that location which just changed the noise to about 3 tea kettle sounds instead of 1. they are done with it now and guess up to us to modify. obviously this is a design/air flow issue with the new grill/hood. we are going to try to beef up the weatherstripping to see if that does it, let me know if you find any other solutions! this noise drives me nuts-missing my 2006 toyo!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpeacefrog View Post
not glad to hear you had the same problem, but this was also my only complaint about my 2012 toyota tacoma. we also taped every seam and ended up that taping the center weather strip region between the hood and grill always got rid of the noise. the toyo place attempted to adjust the height of the hood which improved the noise but did not eliminate it. they then replaced the weather stripping in that location which just changed the noise to about 3 tea kettle sounds instead of 1. they are done with it now and guess up to us to modify. obviously this is a design/air flow issue with the new grill/hood. we are going to try to beef up the weatherstripping to see if that does it, let me know if you find any other solutions! this noise drives me nuts-missing my 2006 toyo!
Other solutions? Have you tried this one yet? Everyone that has done it reports the noise is eliminated.

Just a side note. I was at toyota the other day buying parts and i was talking to the guy who told me the noise was spec for this model. We were discussing the fix and he was just looking at me like i was the biggest asshole in the world. I'm positive that he didn't care a lick about this problem or how to fix it. All im getting at is, it seems some of the other dealerships at least attempted to solve the problem. The dealer here couldn't care less.