Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Whistling sound indentified

Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #141
DTater is on a distinguished road
Name: David
DTater's Tacoma Gallery
What does the new grill installed under the TSB change?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #142
firefly335i is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
firefly335i's Tacoma Gallery
Applejax you are the man!! I totally followed your 1/4" tubing trick and it worked like a champ! Now my truck doesn't whistle like a tea kettle
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #143
TRDex
dexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud ofdexzel has much to be proud of
Name: Dexter
dexzel's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Appljaxx! This worked like a charm!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #144
ja63197 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ja63197's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyageTacoma View Post
I find it hugely ironic and pathetic how Toyota has not caught up to this problem.

I can't imagine what takes so long.

It's ironic because I think they sell more Tacomas than anything else. This problem is so common place.

I fixed mine, but I can't help but be annoyed at their clueless helplessness. They just stare at you like, "uh, we can't really do anything about it."

Meanwhile, I fixed it in two seconds.

Considering how great Toyota is at making cars, I find their inability to inform about and fix this problem, or even notify dealerships about its existence...it's all pathetic.

It's mind blowing how easy it was to fix, and yet they sent me home with a 35000 dollar car and a whistle noise that was ZERO percent acceptable.

I fixed my whistle
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #145
Gonzo714 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Gonzo714's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2005 Tacoma which I love but ever since my truck got delivered brand new off the lot it has made this annoying noise/whistle! I can't wait to get home and try the tubing trick. Hope it works!

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #146
zengineer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerott
zengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Praying

Just bought my 13' Limited last week...100 miles on it. Whistling (sounds like it coming from behind rear view mirror) is driving me nuts!! Starts whining at about 55-60mph..Returned to dealer today, and they drove it, then taped the windshield, drove again. Then they were scratching their heads, and want it for two days. I said "gimme the keys, I'm going home". I am not leaving them my brand new truck to tear apart.
Came home and came right here to TW. Absolutely love this thread. I'm gonna head down to the hardware store right now, and get some tubing.
Praying to God this works! You guys Rule!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #147
ja63197 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ja63197's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Just bought my 13' Limited last week...100 miles on it. Whistling (sounds like it coming from behind rear view mirror) is driving me nuts!! Starts whining at about 55-60mph..Returned to dealer today, and they drove it, then taped the windshield, drove again. Then they were scratching their heads, and want it for two days. I said "gimme the keys, I'm going home". I am not leaving them my brand new truck to tear apart.
Came home and came right here to TW. Absolutely love this thread. I'm gonna head down to the hardware store right now, and get some tubing.
Praying to God this works! You guys Rule!
Here is how I finally fixed my whistle, I did not pay 31000 for a truck that whistled. I also did not pay for toyota, both dealer (who put a whopping 500 miles on my new truck) and there "customer service" to claim that this is not an issue. Loving the new truck though. No whistles, 26 gallon fuel tank, and 9600lb conventional towing capacity. Also, give that drip line a few months and a couple of temperature fluctuations, because the whistle will return, very slowly. Plus, who in there right mind sits back and lets this happen. Thank goodness my truck was paid off, and I only had to give 3500 cash for the sierra. Oh by the way, did I mention I have power seats, and leather? We do love our lexus RX 350, but they don't like nothing is going on when we did have one single issue.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #148
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Just use an aluminum dowel (not the tubes) in 1/4" from a Hardware store (ACE, etc) Put some Teflon lube or whatever lube you want to use on the dowel. Slightly shape it to the long curve, insert and be done. You can even round off the ends if you like. Aluminum is soft enough to make that easy and is strong, and non corrosive. As well, you can easily remove the Aluminum dowel. Tap from the other end and pull.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #149
kmk2012 is on a distinguished road
kmk2012's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds to like the windshield seal is bad in your case. Easy test, take up to whistle speed and push out around the review mirror. If the sound changes then it is the window seal. If it doesn't change it's not and tubing is the way to go. This happened on my 2012 Tacoma. Yes, they want it for a day, something to do with curing of the new seal.
It is amazing Toyota has not acted on this longstanding and very annoying problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #150
zengineer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerott
zengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I placed a strip of blue painters tape across the front of both headlights, and the grill. Essentially covering the rubber seal under these spots. Then hit the highway. SILENT! I took the tape off at Home Depot, went in and bought 25' of 1/4" tubing for $3.00 and returned home. Installed into the weatherstripping on both headlights, and the grill. Sprayed a touch of wd40 into the weatherstrippping, which easily allowed the tubing to glide thru. Total time to do was 3-4 minutes. Cant even tell its there.

Will try out the aluminum idea when/if the tubing fails.

Thanks guys, this forum is invaluable!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #151
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I placed a strip of blue painters tape across the front of both headlights, and the grill. Essentially covering the rubber seal under these spots. Then hit the highway. SILENT! I took the tape off at Home Depot, went in and bought 25' of 1/4" tubing for $3.00 and returned home. Installed into the weatherstripping on both headlights, and the grill. Sprayed a touch of wd40 into the weatherstrippping, which easily allowed the tubing to glide thru. Total time to do was 3-4 minutes. Cant even tell its there.

Will try out the aluminum idea when/if the tubing fails.

Thanks guys, this forum is invaluable!

Yeah I taped off my grill with blue painters tape in spots and located my 40-50 mph noise to the grill weather stripping. I had tried the tubing but could not get it in. Just so happened I was in a hardware store a few days later and ran across the aluminum dowel. Rounded the ends and installed - it has been over 6 months now and I have all forgotten about it except for this thread popping up.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #152
pamtnman will become famous soon enough

pamtnman's Tacoma Gallery
The brand shiny new 2013 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 I drove off the lot last week made me so happy. Until I drive around over 42 mph. Then a whistle started up. It's loud enough to interfere with phone conversations and thoughts, and even my wife was complaining about it. Adjusting the mirrors did nothing. A quick Internet search turned up a number of hits, including here at Tacoma World. I told the dealership about it and they asked me to come in. It's shameful that the Toyota Tacoma of all vehicles has this persistent problem. My '02 TRD never had any issues, still runs great. What happened?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #153
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota's quality is nonexistent... They are f$&ked... It's crazy to think truck coming off the line still have this issue... I hate Toyota...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #154
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja63197 View Post
Here is how I finally fixed my whistle, I did not pay 31000 for a truck that whistled. I also did not pay for toyota, both dealer (who put a whopping 500 miles on my new truck) and there "customer service" to claim that this is not an issue. Loving the new truck though. No whistles, 26 gallon fuel tank, and 9600lb conventional towing capacity. Also, give that drip line a few months and a couple of temperature fluctuations, because the whistle will return, very slowly. Plus, who in there right mind sits back and lets this happen. Thank goodness my truck was paid off, and I only had to give 3500 cash for the sierra. Oh by the way, did I mention I have power seats, and leather? We do love our lexus RX 350, but they don't like nothing is going on when we did have one single issue.

Sorry you had issues. Bye.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
Toyota's quality is nonexistent... They are f$&ked... It's crazy to think truck coming off the line still have this issue... I hate Toyota...
Hey Nice, it's the stupid little things that can undermine an otherwise perfect creation. Tacomas are renowned for their ruggedness, high performance, durability, etc. If I were using mine at only low speeds on timber, mining, land deal backwoods jobs, then all I'd know is that my new truck is awesome. It's that highway thing that brought this small but significant issue to my attention. What's surprising is that this issue has been established for several years. One year, OK, a design flaw, and they fix it. Two years, looks sloppy. Three years? OK. There's some Toyota engineer responsible for the front end who is falling down on the job, because this persistent problem shouldn't be an issue.
Otherwise an awesome vehicle. I've already hauled several tons of dirt, cut stone, been offroading on a timber sale, etc and the truck otherwise functions as advertised and anticipated. My 2002 TRD SR5 is an incredible little truck. Goes on ATV trails no problem, never had an issue.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #156
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I dont hate my my truck but I do hate Toyota for putting shit out with the same problems... Would I buy another one? I'm thinking not...
Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
I dont hate my my truck but I do hate Toyota for putting shit out with the same problems... Would I buy another one? I'm thinking not...
On Monday I'll see what the dealership does to solve this. The salesman and I spoke this morning, and I told him about the results of my Internet search on this problem. I told him that it's not isolated, not unique to my truck, widely reported. And I suggested that the dealership prepare to address it Monday morning with the 1/4" tubing-in-the-seal solution described here on this site.
The thing is, it's not a huge material defect. It's a tiny, stupid problem that a) shouldn't happen, and b) should be easily fixed long before a vehicle enters the marketplace. And that does speak to Toyota's culture.
Is Toyota riding on their laurels, now producing defective trucks and pretending they're as good as or better than prior trucks?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #158
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the tubing on my truck this morning. Mine is still whistling. I swear mine is coming from the satellite antenna, it sounds like it is coming from behind me somewhere.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #159

Today I moved tape around to locate the source of the whistle.
Not good. It's both sides of the windshield. Probably not the windshield itself, but the big gap between the windshield and the pillar. That's a design flaw. Tomorrow at the dealer is going to be unpleasant, unless they can find a fix that doesn't involve permanent tape over the side gaps. How sad. I was so excited to get my new Tacoma. This is a big disappointment.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #160
Commanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really nice
Commanderwiggin's Tacoma Gallery
New windshield fixed all my whistling...going on nearly 7 months of no whistle