Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey Battery

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey Battery

Opinions, Experiences. Am trying to decide between both.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have owned both. Well the Optima was only a red top. I liked both. The Odyssey is physically smaller. I hear the Diehard Platinum is the same thing. I do like the side GM style posts of the Optima for extra stuff.

live via
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an Optima yellow top and I don't have any complaints about it.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Optima Red Top..... the differences between the Red Top and Yellow Top are really minor, the Red Top has a highter CCA rating, and you can expect the Yellow Top to last slightly longer..... But otherwise identical.

And before anyone starts to flame me for saying there is a difference.... Save it... I've heard it all, and know someone who used the Red Tops in an electric car back before the Red Tops hit mainstream.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I also heard the sears diehard platinum are the same as Odyssey just different packaging. I have had the yellow top and it worked great in my jeep with winch
Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I asked this question several years ago on this forum and another forum and the answer from some of the "off-road pros" ... especially if they "winched" a lot ... their choice was mostly .... Odyssey

I put a Optima Yellow Top in my wife's last Subaru and that was a fantastic battery. Never had an Odyssey though ... and have not seen them in any of the auto supply stores either.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
My red top was crap. Horrible at holding a charge. My old school diehard gold was much better. Lasted over two years longer.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Rellik, why are you replacing your battery? You have the group 27f Truestart, no? Truestart has an 84 month warranty with 2 year free replacement and higher reserve capacity than a Yellowtop.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Hophornbeam is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
Hophornbeam's Tacoma Gallery
A suggestion, if it's OK to suggest another option not among the original choices.

Caterpillar battery.

As in the bulldozer company. They sell batteries that will fit a huge range of applications. Their batteries are made by one of the best manufacturerss- East Penn- but to particularly rigorous specs for Cat. Designed to perform as starting batteries, but with far more amp-hour capacity for non-running loads compared to usual vehicle batteries. I put a set in my last vehicle- a 1989 Ford diesel- and they completely put to shame the prior batteries, which were of a very reputable make and only 2 years old.

The Cats also are not way-expensive for what they are- more than a discount store battery, but less than Optimas, Odysseys, or DieHard Platinums.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
Why are you replacing your battery? You have the group 27f Truestart, no? Truestart has an 84 month warranty with 2 year free replacement and higher reserve capacity than a Yellowtop.
I also have a 2500w stereo that the battery couldn't handle and took a dump fast, my headlights would almost turn completely off when the bass hit. This battery rocks, it's the biggest yellow top made, headlights don't even dim now. At all. Been in the truck for 3 years, still works like new.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oops, it just dawned on me that that question was directed to the OP. Sorry.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Oops, it just dawned on me that that question was directed to the OP. Sorry.
No worries. You using any capacitors?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
Rellik, why are you replacing your battery? You have the group 27f Truestart, no? Truestart has an 84 month warranty with 2 year free replacement and higher reserve capacity than a Yellowtop.
My sons car needs a new battery and would like to "donor" the battery from my truck and replace with something good.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #16

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
My sons car needs a new battery and would like to "donor" the battery from my truck and replace with something good.
You have an inverter in your truck? If so, you already have a good battery. Truestart 27f is a beast made by Johnson Controls. Check specs. If you only have 24f or a Panasonic, I could see why you might want an upgrade, but your stock battery still has a great warranty. Still rocking my original 5.5 years of Ohio weather later and will buy another from Toyota when it finally dies. If anything, buy a red top for your boy and hang onto that Truestart!

On another note, I have a bud who works for an auto electric repair shop and he prefers interstate megatron over optima.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
If upsizing what is the largest battery that will fit without to much modification?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
you can do the dual optima in the same space as your stock battery
What size batteries and do you need to add a switch?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
you can do the dual optima in the same space as your stock battery
--- ^^^ ... That sounds like a neat idea ... but I did not know that you could put "dual yellow tops" in that OEM space and have it fit. How do you do it and like the post above asked ... what "Optima Yellow Top" models did you use ?

Or did I read this wrong ?? ...
Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #20

If 2 yellow tops can fit in the stock locaton I want to see it, as well as why you would do that. I also want to see the stereo in a Tacoma that needs a 50 farad capacitor, I thought I had the biggest stereo on this forum.