from 27" to 30" tire on a 4 cylinder ... experience

Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
fchen7 is on a distinguished road
fchen7's Tacoma Gallery
from 27" to 30" tire on a 4 cylinder ... experience

I have a 4 cylinder access cab 2WD;

stock is 215/70/15 tire with 5 lug which is 26.9 inch in diameter

i am thinking of moving to 235/75/16 or 29.9 inch in diameter

Anyone has similar experience or upgrade ? It's going to look better i am sure; but how will be the new driving experience ? Will the MPG decrease alot ? Will my odometer and speed off by a large margin ?? Will i kick myself ?

thanks for any comments or advise ..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchen7 View Post
I have a 4 cylinder access cab 2WD;

stock is 215/70/15 tire with 5 lug which is 26.9 inch in diameter

i am thinking of moving to 235/75/16 or 29.9 inch in diameter

Anyone has similar experience or upgrade ? It's going to look better i am sure; but how will be the new driving experience ? Will the MPG decrease alot ? Will my odometer and speed off by a large margin ?? Will i kick myself ?

thanks for any comments or advise ..
I'm running 30" tires and a big YES to all the negatives you have listed there. I would still do it again, nothing stays the same or gets better with bigger tires. Looks better though, all that matters to me.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
fchen7's Tacoma Gallery
John

... : )

i am not very encouraged by your answer ..... maybe i go 235/70/16
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry but our trucks don't handle them as well as the v6, they become very underpowered when you go 30". I am still gonna go to 32" when I need tires again and also regear.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I know I'm geared differently then you but I will say our 2.7 trucks handle big tires fine. I'm 315/75/16, like I said geared differently obviously, but the engine handles them just done even running 3k rpm for 4-5 hours straight.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
fchen7's Tacoma Gallery
go big ... but not too big

235/75/15 .. that's 2 inch bigger than my current stock

and

235/70/16 ... also 2 inch bigger than my stock tire....

what do you guys think ? if i use the 15 inch tire, then i can use my current stock rims.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for new rims while you're at it.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
aside from the melting and chopping of the cab mount i think my 295's are pretty good considering they weigh a ton and are a couple milimeters under 34 inches.

the 4cyl lacks power right out of the wrapper but a set of 285's is not going to kill it either sure i would like to regear but i don't think i'll be going to the 4.88's alot of guys are running if i can help it. i think 4.56 would be plenty and it would still keep the rpm's down for the highway.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

3.73 IIRC on the 5 lug

5 lugs can regear so you might look into that as well!

Id say go for the 75 aspect ratio because after you get the 70's youll be kicking yourself in the butt for not going with the extra little height!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing holding me back from 285/75 17s is the trimming, but I think I have that worked out now.

If you dont want more height, get a wider tire. I like the looks of slightly wider tires on stock rims.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
you need a torch to melt the very bottom of your flare and shape and smooth out the wheel well liner around your pinch weld. do not cut anything up front.

a lot of guy went ahead and cut off that hump thing in the front of their wheel well and if you ever get an after market bumper its not going to be right. mine is just pulled and zip tied directly behind my arb and it keeps out all the shit and looks like it was meant to come that way.

the cab chop is what is going to get you at first the shop who put my lift and uca's in put the ball joint in backwards lol. when they fixed it last week the wheel came back towards the cab a good bit so even though they had chopped it before they had to really shave off alot for it to be ok. then they had to box it in i had them put the truck on clearance ramps to that the front will almost stuff and the wheel turned and they still provide some space.

i can take some pics for you if you want anybody.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
The only thing holding me back from 285/75 17s is the trimming, but I think I have that worked out now.

If you dont want more height, get a wider tire. I like the looks of slightly wider tires on stock rims.
Never knew they made a 285/76/17 thought the 70/17 and 75/16.

You dont have to go wider to get taller. Thete is 235/85/15 (maybe 16) iirc and a 255/85/16 which gives a diameter of 33.1 without needing body mount chop.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
fchen7's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys for the input. looks like everyone here is big fan of bigger tires. i will read more about regear; i am not going to raise the truck now or in near future. Just want to get 2-3 inch bigger diameter tire. Not only taller, but also fatter tire so the car wont look rediculous with the new fender flares.

regear ... sounds expensive ... i try to upload a picture of truck after the fender flares installed in a few days. It's not going to be pretty with stock tire.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
takao96753 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 293 communications
Name: mike
takao96753's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 245/75 16 everything is stock I have no complaints although I have no idea what gear ratio I have. I have driven over 300 miles and have more than 1/4 of fuel left in the tank
Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Almost there

You probably have 4.10
Old 11-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchen7 View Post
thanks guys for the input. looks like everyone here is big fan of bigger tires. i will read more about regear; i am not going to raise the truck now or in near future. Just want to get 2-3 inch bigger diameter tire. Not only taller, but also fatter tire so the car wont look rediculous with the new fender flares.

regear ... sounds expensive ... i try to upload a picture of truck after the fender flares installed in a few days. It's not going to be pretty with stock tire.
Very Interested to see those pics, i'm not sure if anyone has put fender flares on a 5 lug.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You probably have 4.10
Yep.

5 lug automatic - 3.58
5 lug manual - 3.31
Prerunner/ 4x4 - 4.10