1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog light mod question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by azchris, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    azchris

azchris [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Hey, did my fog light mod today but I just used a random 12v source where there was an empty relay slot in the fuse box. The writeup says to tap the green wire, but I don't have any wire-taps and I don't really want to tap any wires while its under warranty.

The problem is the 12v source I used is hot all the time, even when the truck is off. So now I have to turn my foglights off manually with the truck. I tried tapping the ECU fuse, but it looks like that one is hot all the time.

The question: Are there any fuses or relays I could tap off of safely that are switched with the ignition? I've seen a popular one is the tail light relay, but that would only come on with the parking lights and I want to be able to run the fogs any time. Thanks!

2. Nov 24, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    Beerrun

Beerrun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    10 Sedan Sport LB
    Fog light rewire- debadge- front window tint- 5100's @ 1.75- Toytec 1.5 AAL- Avid sliders- 4x4 lighted switch- Sockmonkey decals- Truxedo low pro QT cover- Weather Techs- Back up light Mod. Diff. breather mod. OEM roof rack-Yakima bars. HomerTaco grill. Hella Black Magic Lts. WT vent visors.
    I originally wired mine per the write up. But got tired of them coming on six hours after I'd last driven the truck. (emissions something powering up the ECU) I ran the power wire through the firewall to the fuse panel at your L knee. Seems like there was an unused fuse holder that is Ign. power. Works great.

3. Nov 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    azchris

azchris [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Yeah I have the switch and relay for my auxillary HIDs tapped with an add-a-fuse in that box, I'm just lazy and want to avoid running another wire through the firewall. Thanks for the suggestion though! That will be my last option if I can't find anything to tap in the main fuse box :D

Products Discussed in

To Top