Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ome 885 lift question

Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Fletcher007 is on a distinguished road
Name: Hollywood
Fletcher007's Tacoma Gallery
ome 885 lift question

i put in ome 885 coils in my 09 4x4 dbl cab. i set the 5100's at stock height but with the tsb in the rear i am 1 1/4 inch high in the rear. I called dwn south motorsports and they recommended putting the 5100's up to the .85 level. I realize most on here say dont do it but i am wondering why???? thanks for the help
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher007 View Post
i put in ome 885 coils in my 09 4x4 dbl cab. i set the 5100's at stock height but with the tsb in the rear i am 1 1/4 inch high in the rear. I called dwn south motorsports and they recommended putting the 5100's up to the .85 level. I realize most on here say dont do it but i am wondering why???? thanks for the help
You can run the 885's with the billies @ .85 .
Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You can run the 885's at .85 , but no higher and you shouldn't run billies with the 886's
Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
ComaChic will become famous soon enough

ComaChic's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to stir this one up but. I know many say you cannot, however how bad doesn't effect ride and stiffness. And with LR UCA'S will that make it a little safer to run
Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
its not really about the safety issue with the UCA's as much as it is you will be preloading a spring that is never meant to be preloaded. that puts extra stress on all of your susp components and could result in some serious injury even while just installing the coils on the shock. you are much better off just going ahead and getting the ome shocks or keeping the billies set at zero or as oz said if you wanna be brave you can go up to .85 you are putting your safety and your trucks safety at risk with anything above that.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So is it bad to preload the stock coils as well? What makes it so bad to preload the 885s ?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
885's are a LOT heavier of a spring than stock springs. you get the lift from the 885's due to the increased height of the coil as well as the thicker coils(which support more weight) if you preload something that isnt meant to have a preload on it then in essence you are compressing it further at all times then it is meant to stay compressed. you are then actually getting into the flex ability of the coil and keeping it under higher strain situations at all time. meaning maybe or maybe not today or tomorrow but sometime it is going to find the weak point in your suspension because it is not it and its going to exploit that weak point so that it can go to a "relaxed" state.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #9

Yea I got all that. True stuff. So as people say the 884 and 885 is same just longer. Will a 884 ride softer and just use a top plate spacer to gain the 1/2" pr more? Or run 885's and probably need nothng
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
all depends on what you are doing to the back end for a lift.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #11

I have 3 leaf factory and a 2" aal
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
i woulld suggest 885's with the top .5" spacer like toytec sells. unless you want a little bit of rake then the 885's would be just fine. you have a double cab so i wouldnt advise the 884's wouldnt really be worth the money in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaChic View Post
I have 3 leaf factory and a 2" aal
The 885's alone , no spacer , lifted my DCLB 4x4 2 1/2" .
Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
did the same for my DCLB, which made things quite level when i only put the 1.5" aal on the factory 3 leaf pack.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #15

Sounds good. I prefer a Little rake so I'll go 885's an hopefully works good. I looked more at truck an PO must have trimmed. I don't have much to look at to compare so I'm gonna post pics up anyone care to help and look what's need done.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #16

So here is the truck. Front and back of wheel wells which I think looks a little trimmed in the front. Then of my cv angles. And ball joint.

Tires are 285/75-16 on 16x8 4.5 backside. Fits perfect not a bit of rub unless I hit a bump turning an touches a little. Spacers was told 3" I didn't hand measure yet.

I want to go 885's on 5100's set to 0. LR UCAs and I'l hope it fits. Worse case add spacers later.
Attached Thumbnails
ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871201.244450.jpg   ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871218.052507.jpg   ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871229.829275.jpg   ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871241.822298.jpg   ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871252.097343.jpg  

ome 885 lift question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1327871261.567421.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So here is the truck. Front and back of wheel wells which I think looks a little trimmed in the front. Then of my cv angles. And ball joint.
Tires are 285/75-16 on 16x8 4.5 backside. Fits perfect not a bit of rub unless I hit a bump turning an touches a little. Spacers was told 3" I didn't hand measure yet.
I want to go 885's on 5100's set to 0. LR UCAs and I'l hope it fits. Worse case add spacers later.
I would like OZ recomended put the 885s on OME 90000 Nitro Charger Sports, the shocks & springs were designed to work together. When you order them also order the 1/4" spacer (1/2" lift) that way they will come with the longer bolts and you wont have to take them apart if you want the extra 1/2".
I'm running 885s on OME 90000 Nitro Charger Sports & Dakars. They gave my 4Banger AC a full 3" lift front & rear, and a great ride on & off road.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #18

So you think one shocks over the 5100's?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #19

So order 2 of the 1/4" spacers they sell to fox the lean?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you think ome shocks over the 5100's?
Yes the shocks & springs were designed to work together.
Quote:
So order 2 of the 1/4" spacers they sell to fix the lean?
On the ToyTec site they are an option on the OME lift kit. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
or can be ordered seperatly. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
OME fixes the Taco lean with a trim packer or spacer (included in OME lift kit) on the driverside (in between coil and coil pearch). http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72