Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma seat comfort

Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
codykid is on a distinguished road
codykid's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma seat comfort

The last Toyota truck I had was a 1981 Land Cruiser when we lived in Wyoming. Great for the area, job change to Florida and without A/C not so good. I'm thinking about a Tacoma. I have had the following: 2005 Dakota, 2003 Explorer, 2000 Mazda(Ford) B4000, 1997 Ranger, 1992 S-10. I'm looking for current Tacoma owners impressions of the sitting comfort. On my list of vehicles above the worse seats were in the Dakota, Explorer, and Ranger. All seats were terrible on long drives of more than 200 miles at a time. Seat comfort on long trips was like bricks, really killed the lower spine. No combination of seat cushions could fix the problems and dealers/manufacturers could care less. Also, have any owners converted from cloth (factory installed) covers to leather and could recommend the comfort and cost? Thank you for taking your time to read and respond. Have a safe and happy holiday season.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
personally, I'm not too impressed by the comfort of the seats in my 2010 TRD Sport. I even re-appolstered them in leather and added heat seat kits. The heat definitely helps with my back pain, but the seats still aren't that great. there are other people that say they are the most comfortable seats they've ever had, but I don't feel that way.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
I am very happy with my seats. I also had them covered in heated leather and I love it! I have heard no complaints from anyone who rides with me either.

The TRD Sport and TRD Off Road come with the sport bucket seats with mesh inserts. I think the SR5 and base models share the same non-bolstered buckets. (2nd gen models)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had a lot of comments on how comfortable my seats are (SR5)

One of the first thing I noticed when I test drove it. I wish it had up/down adjustment, Id like it to be a hair lower so I can see lights at some intersections better (im 6'1) but that probably due to my TSB springs raising the ass end up, obviously my solution will be a slight lift up front

At 120k miles they are still comfortable, the drivers seat is a little bit worn in compared to brand new. Toyota vehicles always have awesome seats IMO, my Supra being the best.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
I hate my 1st gen seats.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '11 TRD Sport DCLB. The seats themselves are comfortableto me. However I feel that some up down adjustment would be good and the steering wheel could have more telescoping for it to adjust well to me. I am 6'1 and have very long legs. I feel that when my seat is in the perfrct position for my legs the steering wheel is too far away, with a little higher seat position and a little more telescoping the problem would be resolved. All in all its not bad, I have found a compromise position that works well for me but wish those two changes could be made.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Dj0rk is on a distinguished road

Name: Luke
Dj0rk's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 DCLB and coming from a Mazda3s the seats are night and day. I'm going to be moving soon from Nevada to Massachusetts and an actually looking forward to being stuck in the truck for 3+ days. My wife and kids on the other hand...

But that's why they make Valium and Benadryl.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
TANK is on a distinguished road

TANK's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD seats in my 08. I'm happy with them, and have no complaints. I suggest going to test drive both, an sr5 and TRD package, to get a feel for both.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Coming from a BMW and often driving 400 miles to visit family down in NJ I was a little worried about the comfort of my sport seat (the seats in my BMW were amazing). Needless to say, made my first 400 mile drive in my truck this past Wednesday and the seats were great.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
cooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of light

cooktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 11 DBL Cab TRD off road. I am about 5'11 and 190 lbs. Seats are great on my back. Support from bottom to top. I have already done one roadtrip from CA to Montana and back and loved the seats. Some options like leather, heat, and electric or better adjustable settings would make it even better, but overall they are excellent.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
They suck on longer trips. Just like the OP said, after three or so hours they become pretty bad, to me at least. This in a 08' Prerunner SR5 DC.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
By the way I am 5'8" 200 lbs. and fit rather snuggly in the sport seats, was surprised how comfortable they were for such a long drive.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
personally, I'm not too impressed by the comfort of the seats in my 2010 TRD Sport. I even re-appolstered them in leather and added heat seat kits. The heat definitely helps with my back pain, but the seats still aren't that great. there are other people that say they are the most comfortable seats they've ever had, but I don't feel that way.
Agreed. The seats seem rock hard and have no friendly contours to ease the pressure. I have the lumbar support jacked all the way up and am still stiff after 60-miles. I was thinking of buying 2005-2009 Mustang seats and putting them in, as those were the most form-fitting, comfortable seats I've ever had. Mustang seats also have multiple-point adjustments, so I could move the seat up, down, tilt seat, tilt back, etc.

Fairly small build, with a princess-and-the-pea type arse, apparently.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Never felt uncomfortable in my Sport seats
Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
If it's the bench, I'd rate it a 4/10. Not terrible, but after a while starts to feel like cardboard.

The base buckets are much better. I'd say a 7/10. Still not quite up to Tundra/Corolla/Camry standards, but still comfortable. Haven't ridden in one with lumbar adjustment and whatnot so I don't have an opinion on those.

For some reason I fit Honda seats best. I just miss the side bolsters in the Toyotas. Even my entry level Fit had awesome side supports and absolutely perfect back support. I could ride in that thing for a long long time without being sore. After about 2 hours in the Taco buckets I'm looking for a place to stop and stand up.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i hate my 2010 access cab offroad seats, uncomfortable on my 3 hour commute daily. I wish i could put the seats from my nissan titan into this as those have been the best seats i have ever had in a truck. leather, heated, power everything etcc......my seat in the tacoma goes forward and back, no lumbar, < the lack of no lumbar is what is killing my back. i freaking hate my seats!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Goflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoflight2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Goflight2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6'4", 225lbs. My 2011 DCLB 4x4 Sports seats feel like they are a little "thin" for me. Long distance driving is not that great. I feel like the sides of the seats are poking into my sides. Annoying. For the record, I love everything else about my Baby.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #19
UH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the rough

Army: Helicopter Pilot
UH60Hwkdrvr's Tacoma Gallery
6'1", 190lbs, 2011 DC with the Sport Bucket Seats...seats are cushy enough for long distance travel, however, my lower back starts hurting after 1.5 -2.0 hours of sitting. The lumbar support, in my opinion, is too high to provide any real support to prevent lower back pain. I have a small lumbar pillow that I use when my back starts hurting. HTH

m.a.c.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
Seattle Clam is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Seattle Clam's Tacoma Gallery
I did 7 hours yesterday in my 2010 TRD sport. That's more driving than I usually do and I don't have the best back in general, but the Taco's driver seat was pretty comfy the whole way