LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Possible to disconnect front ABS while retaining rear ABS?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
MarkCNP is on a distinguished road
MarkCNP's Tacoma Gallery
Possible to disconnect front ABS while retaining rear ABS?

My old '92 4Runner had ABS only on the rear and the braking performance in snow/ice was great - is it possible to disconnect the front ABS on a 2nd gen Tacoma while retaining the ABS on the rear brakes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
May e but I don't think so I know one of my front wheel abs sensors was unplugged and it shit down the abs/trac/ and vsc completely
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
MarkCNP's Tacoma Gallery
On my old 4Runner I found that having ABS only on the rear would allow for the front tires to push snow while the rear ABS would keep the rear end from fishtailing -- this would result in a faster stop while retaining reasonable control. The ABS on my Tacoma is so overly sensitive that it has placed me in unnecessary danger from time to time when it has extended the stopping distance in slippery conditions.

If anyone knows of a way to disable the front ABS, it would be much appreciated if you could share! Otherwise, I think I'll disable the entire ABS as I would feel safer without it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumb View Post
May e but I don't think so I know one of my front wheel abs sensors was unplugged and it shit down the abs/trac/ and vsc completely
He may not have VSC/TRAC. It depends if he was equipped with that package.

But you are right, it will likely shut down all four corners (ABS).

I've yet to see a modification that allows you to retain front or rear ABS only.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty positive that interupting any of the wheel sensors kills ABS to all wheels as well as the VSC system ( if equipped ) as pointed out above .

TW member Crom has some good threads on ABS bypass for our trucks , worth a quick search and read .
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
MarkCNP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input - I have seen some threads on disabling the ABS with a switch - I may consider that even though it disables all four ends (I don't have to worry about VSC). I'm going to continue to look for a way to disable the front only as I think the rear ABS is still useful.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Any error and the system shuts down to prevent further damage.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
MarkCNP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input!