LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

And so it begins..Painting chrome rear bumper..

Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
tamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tamer
tamer's Tacoma Gallery
And so it begins..Painting (now bed liner) chrome rear bumper..

Finally got sick of looking at my ugly, rusty chrome rear bumper..Ripped it off this morning and started sanding tonight. PITA process to do by hand, but I have no other choice, also should have worn a mask, probably took 5 years off my life tonight.

Did a pretty good 100 grit sanding and will do a 220 wet sand tomorrow. Hopefully that, followed by a nice wash and alcohol cleaning will do the trick. I just bought some krylon primer and flat black, hopefully that will work ok.

If anyone has done this and wants to chime in feel feel.

Off the truck

Rust

After the 100 grit sanding

Update 1:
Picked up the supplies today...I'm hoping to get it done in the next few days..

Update 2:
Might get this done tonight..It's snowing and I want to park in the garage, lol
First Primer Coat

Update 3:
Finished primer coat, really happy with how that turned out.

Bedliner dripped down the side, not happy with that...I'm thinking about getting the roll on stuff, this spray is driving me crazy.

Update 4:
Sanded down the entire bed armor layer with 100 grit sandpaper, then wiped down with a wet cloth. Added about 4 more light coats and it turned out great! Will post another photo tomorrow when the sun is out and I get it mounted.

Update 5:
Here it is...Looks great, I love it! Probably gonna do the emblems and fender flares. Any little discoloration you see is just a little water from the bath.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
hell that looks 10000% better as is! just clear coat that haha
Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpneely View Post
I vote for this^^^. It will look like brushed aluminum.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, keep us updated with your progress!

I will either want to get a rear plate bumper or paint my chrome one sometime in the future. Wish the plate bumpers weren't so damn expensive!!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I used spray bed liner and it looks great plus more durable than flat black
Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
tamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tamer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I vote for this^^^. It will look like brushed aluminum.
Yeah, I thought about that, looks pretty cool, but I'm just so sick of bare metal and rust. Hopefully I do a good enough job to keep it looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
That rusted bumper came off a 2008? Damm!!!
Yeah, welcome to Michigan, we use the most salt on our roads in the US. The bumper actually didn't start rusting until last winter, I was rear ended and the body shop replaced it and it started rusting almost immediately after. They said they would replace it for free, but I don't want another chrome bumper, that will rust in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TaCo07 View Post
I used spray bed liner and it looks great plus more durable than flat black
Thought about that too..How much was the material, and what did you use?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm agree ^^^ Gave me an idea.. I was gonna color match mine too but might do a brushed aluminum type thing now!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
207Copper is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
207Copper's Tacoma Gallery
If you want your paint to stick to that chrome a good sandblasting will get you where you need to be before paint.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
AKTACO420 will become famous soon enough

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
That rusted bumper came off a 2008? Damm!!!
Mines a 2009 and it's worse
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
i really like the bumper in it's brushed current state
Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #12
07TaCo07 is on a distinguished road
07TaCo07's Tacoma Gallery
I used some stuff from napa and it was like $10-$15.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Clean it with lacquer thinner, it is a better solvent.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamer View Post
Thought about that too..How much was the material, and what did you use?
Rustoleum makes a bed liner that's like $8-9/can. 2 cans would cover that no problem and it's got a nice black textured finish.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
The bumber off of my 2010 looked that bad after 4 months of having it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #16

tamer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207Copper View Post
If you want your paint to stick to that chrome a good sandblasting will get you where you need to be before paint.
I will look into that, I just want to keep this as budget as possible..If I'm going to go off and spend hundreds of dollars on prep and paint I might as well buy an all pro and sell this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacologist View Post
Clean it with lacquer thinner, it is a better solvent.
I'll look for that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Rustoleum makes a bed liner that's like $8-9/can. 2 cans would cover that no problem and it's got a nice black textured finish.
What kind of prep work is needed? I'm assuming no primer?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamer View Post
What kind of prep work is needed? I'm assuming no primer?
For bare metal, I'd have to read the can. I painted my Nfab light bar and I just scuffed up the powder coat and applied directly. A coat of primer might not be a bad idea to seal things up but I'm not 100% sure if it's required. It's a thick coating and seems to be pretty durable so far (I knicked a bollard with mine and it didn't even leave a mark )
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #18

tamer's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet...knowing my luck with things, I might as well go with something more durable, or I will put all this time in and it will all crack off in a month..Hopefully it will look good on the grille too.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
I did bedliner as well. It has held up flawlessly on my bumper, though not so much on my rock sliders. I think poorly on the sliders due to the fact that it was rusty underneath. I sanded it but probably should have used a rust-neutralizing coat of something before bedlining.

My bumper had no rust to speak of before painting.

I then took some very rough sandpaper (like 80 grit or something) and scratched the crap out of it.

Then painted:

Broke the plastic piece trying to remove it to paint, didn't bother trying with the other one. Ended up getting a new one from someone on here I think.

Anyways, it basically still looks just like that after a car wash.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #20

tamer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting man, I think those photos convinced me to just go with the bedliner