View Poll Results: Type of powder coat
Black Wrinckle 12 20.00%
Black Satin 30 50.00%
Black Gloss 5 8.33%
Black Texture 18 30.00%
Other 1 1.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build

Both group buys have been created!!!!

Wrap Around GB:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ml#post4158217

Standard GB:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...y-2nd-gen.html

- This OP has been updated to show what I have built. Below is the discussion for what was made. I am still seeking feedback and answering questions. Please let me know what you got!

Hello All,

I am thinking about doing a group buy for light bars that I want to make. I want one for my truck, and thought I might be able to spread some of the savings to you guys if I make a bunch. While I am new to TW, I am not new to Toyotas, or to fabricating. Before I joined the Air Force I built off road race cars and trucks for 8 years.

I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. It will be similar to other light bars out there, but I am hoping to sell them to you guys for $120 plus shipping, which is much better than the $180 others want. They will be powder coated some form of black: satin, gloss, wrinkle, textured. I am shooting for mounts that accommodate 4 Hella 700's or comparable 7" lights, or smaller. I have my plans into a couple laser cutters and I am working out the final details for getting parts cut. It will be made of 1/4" plate, and 1.5" mild steel tubing. There will be no logo's, I know people don't really dig on that stuff.

Basically I am looking to see what kind of interest people have in these. I am hoping to start out at a set of 10, but if I can get 20 or more, I can bring the price down, the $120 is for a set of 10. Please let me know if you want one, Once I get things moving I will start a group buy thread. Please let me know what you think, and any suggestions as far as powder coat, or any requests for style or changes... we can discuss. Thanks

Standard Style!!! $120 + shipping

Wrap Around Style!!! $260 + shipping

Attached Thumbnails
Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2140.jpg   Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2141.jpg   Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2142.jpg   Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2165.jpg   Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2150.jpg  

Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-img_2167.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
WORD!?!
tacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman355 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tacoman355's Tacoma Gallery
looks real good man. nice work and welcome to tw
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Big things have small beginnings
staticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shedstaticsquelch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Commo: You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
Name: Steve
staticsquelch's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for later.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
What would the price be i would like one if the price is right, 2010 tacoma sport ,shipped to 28345
Thanks whopper
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
Id like something like this
Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
mx355 will become famous soon enough
Name: Trent
mx355's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good and clean.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Navy: AS2
Name: Chad
chaddawkins's Tacoma Gallery
i would like if it wrapped around the front, like this
just a suggestion

Attached Thumbnails
Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-dscn0680.jpg  
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the compliments on the other light bar. The Tacoma one will be nicer, I am really taking my time to make it an extra nice part since I am making a bunch.

Whopper - price should be $110 plus shipping. I can't get you a quote just yet as I don't know the exact dimensions, but I did a quick guestimation and FedEx says $33

Chaddawkins - maybe I can make two versions, one like the picture you posted. If a few more people are interested I can do that one too. Plus that one is a little easier with no laser cutting required. I can always make you one separate if it works out that way... Let's see what people say.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Interested. Can you upload pic to your gallery and then paste gallery URL to the thread. Mil domain is blocking pics in first thread.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
fuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to behold
fuzz master's Tacoma Gallery
id be interested looks good
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Fever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to beholdFever is a splendid one to behold
Fever's Tacoma Gallery
I may be interested in wrap around version
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
2011 TRD Sport is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
2011 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
-cverneau - It would not be hard to make one in that style. I personally don't prefer it because the way aany light bar is bolted on retaining the stock bumper, they don't really provide much protection. Only a true replacement bumper will give you the added protection, the type of light bar you posted will bend if you hit anything other than something like a cone in the road or a shopping cart. That said, if people are looking for that style, I am down to make them. If a few other chime in I can make a batch of them as well. It would bolt on very similar to what I have designed already, would just be a slight varience. Maybe I'll offer a few different styles if people are split on what they want... lets keep talking, any others like?

-Zac808 - Here are some attachements of the Ford bumper I posted. This will give you an idea of what I am making, but it will be a little different. I hope you can view them, please let me know if you can't see them still, I can email to your personal email or something.

Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-lb2.jpg

Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-lb1.jpg

Potential Light Bar Group Buy/Build-lb3.jpg

-Fever - which wrap around version are you refering to? The one that cverneau posted, or like chaddawkins mentioned?

-Steve J - I am glad Avid made you a custom bumper for your new 2012, and congrats on the 2012, I am jealous. But please, if you are not interested in what I am trying to make and sell to others for the best price I can, start a new thread to talk about what you purchased, or to plug another company. That was kind of a hyjack. No hard feelings though, we all get excited about stuff we just got, I know I do. Please let me know if you interested in anything I have in the mix!

-Everyone else - Thanks for letting me know you guys are interested. It sounds like this will work so I am going to go ahead and place an order with the laser cutter so I can get 10 going, then if we get more people interested, I can plus up my order, or have them cut a different version. The company I am working with has a great price to help me keep costs low to you guys, but they are hard to talk with, so I am trying my hardest to get some parts so I can show you guys what the finished product will be. Lets keep talking ideas!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
CShuck01 is on a distinguished road
CShuck01's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested. I love the look of a nice front light bar. I'll keep following thread for updates.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Got the laser cut parts on order just now. I ordered enough for 10, but can easily get more going if the interest is generated. I should have my parts hopefully by this weekend, and get a sample made for you guys to see. Once I get my sample made and you guys like it, I will move this over to the group buy section for ordering.

Of course we can keep this going for discussion on maybe making a different version as well! My goal here is to make nice parts at a good price, but I don't want to simply copy other stuff and make it cheaper, I would like these to be my own, but match what you guys want!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
MajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud of

Marines: Sergeant of Marines, 4th Force Recon
Name: Johnny
MajKong's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddawkins View Post
just a suggestion

X2
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddawkins View Post
just a suggestion

Well I got a few requests for one similar to this as well. I have another project I a wrapping up on Saturday, but once I get done I think I am gunna make something similar to this for your guys as well. I don't want to simply copy this one, I will make my own version.

So it looks like I will be offering two light bars now. The price for the wrap arround will not be the same as the other. I need to look at what it costs me to make, and the amount of work it takes to build, and then I will post something up.

Hopefully if everything works out I will have pictures of both up by Sunday night or Monday!!! I know I will have the wrap around done because I can do everything in house. The traditional light bar might be next weekend if the laser cutter doesn't get my parts done this weekend... More to come, and keep the info coming!