Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What Tread Depth Do you Usually Replace Tires

Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
bsponge is on a distinguished road
bsponge's Tacoma Gallery
What Tread Depth Do you Usually Replace Tires

Looking for your opinions on when you would bite the bullet and replace your tires.
I've got an 2007 Tacoma DC TRD Sport with 44000 miles. The original tires that came with the vehicle are the Bridgestone Dueller H/T 684 II's I believe.

I haven't found them to be great and wouldn't buy them again.
Anyways I've got 6/32 remaining on the front set and 4/32 remaining on the back set.

Winter is coming and money is kind of tight. I'm wondering what the forum thinks regarding if I should replace them now before the snows hit or is there a possibility I'll be able to safely make it through the winter and replace them next summer?

I usually put on 300 miles a week. Majority of the miles are on highway pavement. If I were to replace them I'm looking at $1060 cdn installed
for 4 Michelin LTX m/S2 265/65/17.

Your opinions are welcome and again I'm asking when would you replace these tires if they were on your truck and money was tight?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I would never run tires at 4/32 during the winter, but that is me. In the summer, I would but if you live in Edmonton, I would say not to risk it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
ee1284 is on a distinguished road
ee1284's Tacoma Gallery
Im at 44k on stock tires right now. Just ordered some new ones last weekend.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
bsponge,

Certainly I would question the two 4/32 tires for winter driving. Were it summer, I would say wait a bit. Winter says to replace at least those two. I would keep the 6/32s on front and replace the rears at least.

Has your spare been on the ground? I know you were not that enthused about the Bridgestones, but if the spare has never been on the ground, I would consider getting one new matching Bridgestone for the rears and use the 6/32 on front. Then replace with the Michelins when you can better afford it, two at a time.

I agree with your Choice of Michelin LTX M/S2. I have them and love them.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i change them out when i hit the indicators. not worth it for me to run them down..rains to much here. i like the safe feel of new rubbers..i carry important people.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
I usually don't even let them get down to the indicators, I like the feel (and look) of new tires so when they start to look worn I replace them and sell the old ones on Craigslist
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The shorter the tread gets, the more I hydroplane. I don't wait till they get down to the indicators.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem a month ago. '07 DC Tacoma with 5/32 and 4/32 Dueller H/T 684 II's. I was not comfortable with running those in Alberta winter anymore. Ended up buying Blizzaks @ Costco as it was the cheapest price for tires and cheapest mounting and balancing by far. $880 OTD. Ended up keeping those Duellers for one more summer season.

Last winter I got a flat (in -28C) and the tire was not repairable. I just called a few local tire shops and managed to find a single replacement tire with 7/32 left for cheap. (BestTire in Edmonton) It also matched the thread of the other ones at that time so it worked out great. Maybe try that and get the remaining 2 Revo's that way? Or try kijiji?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
When the belts start showing.

Haha J/k. I used to do that though.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I usually replace them just before they're at the wear bars. With the amount of snow you guys get up there, I'd be looking to replace all 4 in the next couple months. Maybe do 2 now, 2 in a couple months? Also, if money were tight, I wouldn't be looking at Michelins... They're great tires but they are far from cheap!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Right around when I get to the indicators. Whatever depth that may be.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Without knowing what they look like real world, they could be fine. Original tread depth on those is 12/32, which means you're at 50% and 33%. Bridgestone indicates that the tread depth indicator is set at 2/32, which is about 17%.

Bottom line is your tires should be fine for normal road conditions, but if you get a lot of snow I wouldn't run those through the winter. If you do decide to keep driving on them, you need to swap the fronts for the rears at the very least. You should always have the better tires on the rear, and that goes for RWD and FWD cars.

Like Pugga said, if money is an issue at all, I wouldn't be looking at Michelin's. They're the longest lasting tire made but they're also the most expensive.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
FYI people you need to change all 4 at the same time if they are worn to 4/32.
If you don't you will get issues with the 4wd. 2/32 between is ok but going with 2 new ones and 2 old ones will cause problems. You think you have issues now trying to engage and disengage 4wd. It will only add to this issue as well as binding while going straight. Never mix and match tires.
I see this a lot after the first snow storm. Trucks won't go in 4wd or won't come out. Put them on the lift and no problem. Put all new tires on it and hey no more problems.

Just a heads up.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Phones Ringin Dude
SplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to beholdSplitDecision is a splendid one to behold

Name: Haywood Jablowme
SplitDecision's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
When the belts start showing.

Haha J/k. I used to do that though.
Ditto, times were tough during school . Oh and I had a burnout obsession back then.LOL!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitDecision View Post
Ditto, times were tough during school . Oh and I had a burnout obsession back then.LOL!
Use to raid the scrap tire pile. lots of burnout tires in there. It was fun...
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
There's actually a tire wear indicator? Damn....