1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck skates to the right on uneven surfaces

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rhutson, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    rhutson

rhutson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged
    Supercharged
    In my daily city driving, I occasionally notice on heavy bumps or dips that the rear end moves sideways as the rear suspension recovers from the road. A minor annoyance.
    The other day I was traveling on a road under construction and got some air when I left the pavement that was about 6-8 inches above the gravel, at about 55 mph. Both surfaces were very flat, just a step down about 6 inches. Upon landing, the truck shifted violently to the right. I was going in an absolutely straight line when this happened.
    Question: Why does the suspension seem to have this funny steering input from the rear when the suspension is compressed?
    I have a 2011 Double Cab 4x4 with the OC (TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package) and TO (V6 Tow Package), with a dealer installed supercharger thrown in for good measure.

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Check your tire pressure and set them all equal as a place to start. I assume that your tires are not the cheap Dunlops that Toyota puts on base model trucks like mine were. Second, I would physically examine your struts/shocks to ensure they are not leaking oil.

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    It's a byproduct of a solid axle and leaf springs. You get some rear steering input/bounce due to the suspension geometry changes during compression and rebound. I have had that effect on past Dodge, Chevy and Isuzu trucks. A 4-link or independant rear suspension would fix that...

Products Discussed in

To Top