Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering wheel off by ~4 degrees?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel off by ~4 degrees?

So I managed to hit a large hole that was hidden by drifted snow last weekend, and i dont know if i am just paranoid now or if my steering is off, but by the way i calculate it my steering wheel is off by approximately 4 degrees CCW.

Would i have just knocked a wheel out of alignment or could it be something more serious?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I just had the same exact thing happen a month ago. I just got the alignment done yesterday. Mine was out about the same amount. Steering wheel was cocked a few degrees to the right.

It's all good now.

There was a pothole on the way to work and I hit the thing almost every damn day, finally the last time the steering went out of whack. A week after it fugged up the alignment they finaly fixed the hole.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Now I must ask. How can anyone go off roading without getting an alignment each and every time they do if just hitting a pot hole mungs up the wheel? That must have been some kind of pothole, New York style at least.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Speed kills. You don't fly down the trails, do you?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
tim allan has a spectacular aura abouttim allan has a spectacular aura about

tim allan's Tacoma Gallery
Im an alignment tech at a local tire shop, they rec. alignment checks every 10-15k more than 1 time a year
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Speed kills. You don't fly down the trails, do you?
Trails no.
Highway yes.

just went and got the alignment. here is the sheet from it.

Kind of hard to read. here are the numbers.

Left front right front
actual before actual before
.48 .78 camber .34 .16
1.19 .35 caster 1.24 .92
.05 -.04 toe .04 -.11
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
This was my first alignment done in 46,000 miles. I was surprised it never went out sooner. The only one I had done was two days after I bought the truck new and had it lifted.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
'merica

So I lifted, aligned, got new tires, trimmed, aligned again, and now i have to trim more.
They must have adjusted it enough that it is causing more rubbing. Time to start chopping!