1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Me Diagnose a Sound

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gregero, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Gregero

Gregero [OP] TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    I'm hearing a creaking/squeaking noise from the driver side of my truck. I also hear a some clanking/rattling noise on the same side when just driving over tiny bumps. I do know that one of my UCA bushings are completely shot so that's my first guess. I just want you guys to take a look at it and give me your opinion. In the video below, you can't hear the rattling noise because of the wind. The squeaking noises are easy to hear throughout the video with the first one being right as I step into the vehicle and before I start her up.

After lifting it on one side, and removing the tire, I played with the shock and noticed that there is some play at the bottom, not a back and forth motion, but a twisting motion. I do think there are some ball joints or something like that in there (top of shock and bottom shock mount) that attribute to that, but I don't know how much play should be involved. If you could please watch the video and give me an opinion, I'd be most grateful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMA55cbxYI?version=3

2. Dec 1, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    seems to only happen when the uca goes up also.

3. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    bump. could really use the help.

4. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    To me it sounds like UCA bushings. it happened to me as well, bc they werent properly lubed... Take them apart and lubed them good with grease. do the bushing inside and out.. If one is shot then replace it at the same time. G.L..

5. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Gregero

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, ETaco23. It helps a lot since you had the same issue. I'm getting a hold of Camburg in the morning and will have to make the drive up there from SD if they have them available. +rep

6. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    No Prob!! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top