Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New LSD or Locker Advice

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
New LSD or Locker Advice

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You ever drive on snow? That's where folks tend to have the biggest "awshit" moments with the auto-lockers. Otherwise it's just the odd skidding tire around a sharp turn.

My two cents is if you're paying for the labor and parts anyway, may as well upgrade to ARB. Then you'll run the air line and you'll be set to lock the front if you ever choose to do so.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Ah. Skip the part where I talked about locking the front up, then. :-)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Detroit makes a good product. Check out Powertrax to save some money. In the end it comes down to selectable or not.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Go ARB dawg. That would be sick!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Its an option that im highly considering Its alot of money! even to replace the LSD its basically the same price as a locker

damn, that sucks. Yeah im thinking that will be my best bet.

Does anybody have info on how the non selectable detroit locker works on the road? I think it would be a bit annoying having it on all the time while offroading in the desert..
??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE
Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I would prefer a selectable for sure but what are the pros and cons of the non selectable locker?
Also for a selectable locker, when its off does it act like an LSD? I dont know much about it so it might be a dumb question but basically when the locker is off will both tires spin evenly?
The ARB unit would need air lines, a compressor or air source and wiring. An elocker(if there is on for the 8.4) would need wiring. Other than that no cons.

A selectable locker is open when unlocked. It works fine for the street though. The only locker that is a LSD when unlocked is the Auburn Gear ECTED but they don't make it for Toyotas.

Check out http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ or if you want to have it done http://yotamasters.com/ in Corona can do it.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i would not recemmend non selectable lockers for DD use. it will engage while turning a corner, scary when in wet traction enviroment. and as mentioned above..will suck ass in the snow while driving on the highway. i have Detroits front/rear on my MonkeyCrawler so i can speak from actual experience in having non selectable lockers.

if you are serious about a rear locker then i would recemmend an ARB, you cannot loose with an ARB locker. aside from setting up the actual locker in the 3rd member everything esle is easy to setup. the wiring harness for the ARB is absolutly foolproof..anyone can do it
Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
............... Christian was talking about a powertrax locker, how do those compare to ARBs?
also known as lock-rights..they are the cheapest version of a non selectable locker that you can buy. they have a big bad reputation for being weak and breaking even under easy loads on the locking mechanism. i wouldnt even consider a lock-right locker, not even for my bigwheels lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Banned
ARB it up!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Banned
Gotta pay to play man.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
you mean pay? yeah i know, not sure how often i would even use a locker, its nice but not sure if its super practical for me, specially for that much money haha
I said it right the first time.

True. I have a locker and I rarely use it but mostly because I don't wheel to much anymore. On the street having an open diff sucks because if I go around a corner and touch the gas it will one tire fire and TRAC will kick in making my engine sound retarded. At the same time if I get into wheeling again a locker is a valuable too.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
If you decide not to go with a locker you might want to consider the Detroit TruTrac (mechical limited slip) It works great on and off road and IMO its the closest thing to a full locker. I wish they made one for the front diff.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
Banned
I would go with what Monkey said. He seems to know his shiznit. I would rather have one tire fire than an unpredictable locker.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
Power Top

there's also the Ox Locker which is cable actuated..making it a selectable locker. but i dont know if they have a version that fits our tacos
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
yeah im definitely not going with a non selectable locker. i started looking at aftermarket LSD's right when someone commented about the detroit true trac so im researching up on that right now. that wouldnt have one tire fire would it? since its an LSD
this one.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai..._pn=EAT913A541
Nah it wouldn't most of the time but it can in certain situations like with any LSD.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
pm'd
pm'd you back. after driving with the truetrac (for over 10,000 miles) and doing some moderate offroading, i will be a truetrac buyer for life. they do everything you want a "locker" to do without any of the bullshit

Products Discussed in this Thread