Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AMO Buckshot MTB 16" rims, yay or nay?

View Poll Results: 16" AMO Buckshot MTB? Yay or Nay?
Yay, that price is killer and SWBs beg for a flat black rim! 23 67.65%
Nay, they look like barf. Save up for Pro Comps instead. 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
AMO Buckshot MTB 16" rims, yay or nay?

I just ran into a guy with one-month old 16" American Outlaw Buckshot rims that he's willing to sell me for $300 total. Yay or Nay? Wheels Here

He'd sell me the tires too, but mine look a little better for wear, if incredibly "straight" and on-road-only.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say go for it cause thats only $75 per rim.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
Angie if you pass on that deal let me know and I will nab them up
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Nay. I like the American Outlaw buckshots in the machined finish - but that all black finish is not great. Did they come that way, or did he rattle-can them??

Also - My two cents - don't go all black wheels on a speedway blue truck!

Go for a machined or polished finish. If you absolutely positively must go with black wheels, go with a gloss-black wheel not a flat black.

EDIT: I found them online in flat black. So that's how they were purchased. Still say flat-black on SWB is a fashion boo-boo though. Like sandals and socks.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
take the tires too
Old 12-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I'd say go for it cause thats only $75 per rim.
Not that big a markdown - American Outlaw rims aren't very expensive.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
take the tires too
x2
Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I always liked the buckshot in this finish:

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
My original thought was to get Pro Comps...either the 8188 Series

or the 7031 Series

But with the American Outlaws I'll save nearly $700 AND get to use my existing, brand-new General tires, which probably saves another $400-500 (dealer paid for after I pulled teeth. Don't want to give that hernia up for nothing, y'know).
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Jump all over those, can't beat the price and they are nice looking
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Curiouser and curiouser. He's interested in selling the tires too but we're having difficulty settling on a price that doesn't involve him getting my current assemblies for free. Does $100-150 for OEM steelies sound right to you guys? That's about what they go for on eBay, before shipping.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
His Hankook DynaPros have 5,000-miles and are 4-months old. They looked a little rough on the tread, and he's asking $500 PLUS my assemblies for his entire assembly. They do have Discount Tire's certificates on them, but so do mine, so that's a wash.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Price is nice if not rattle canned . I picked up 7089 pro comps for $500 OTD . Why are those pro comps so much they are both nice though . I have 2 sets of like new steelies and I can't even get $100 for a complete set with lug nuts .
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #15

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Price is nice if not rattle canned . I picked up 7089 pro comps for $500 OTD . Why are this pro comps so much they are both nice though . I have 2 sets of like new steelies and I can't even get $100 for complete with lug nuts .
Those particular Pro Comps (Aluminum) only come in over-sized, like 18-20" and 9" wide, which not only would mean new tires, but probably a lift as well.

I'm going ahead with the Buckshots and putting my General Grabber's on them. It'll be a little dorky-looking for awhile, having such clean tires on there, but paying a net of $600+ for tires alone (trading him mine, PLUS $200 cash for tires older than mine) seems......silly.

edit: oh, damn, your rims are on sale, Gelo, for a hair over $400, and they look fantastic. Uh-oh, uh-oh.....

TWERS, DISCUSS!! Pay $130 more and get these in 16" instead? I'm meeting with the guy at 10am tomorrow, so I'm trying to make up my mind fast. These are alloy, the Buckshots are aluminum. Both are 16" and 8" wide
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I voted for the buckshots . They don't look rattle canned . Good deal . Gonna look nice on the swb . Maybe BFG KO's down the road ! See if you can get the lug nuts off him . You'll need them and they are $50 . Yeah that's what I got mine for like $118 plus a 5% off coupon was a little less than $500 OTD . Plus they came next day . I got them from 4wheel parts . Alloy = aluminum.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you like it - then go for it.

But that exact wheel in polished/machined is only $114 each at tires.com

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...rw=8&rc=CSBINT

But google up some pictures of speedway blue trucks with black rims before you commit.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #18

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a few SWBs with all-black accessories and kinda like the look. Albeit, I would LOVE the Pro Comps 8188's, with just a hint of chrome to match my chrome badges and grille (which, to date, I don't plan on plasti-dipping).

Here are a couple for reference.

N' another

I don't know what the hell color this is but...

btw...*drool*
Maybe grab the Buckshots for $300, turn around in a year or so and sell them to Fodder4U for $305, sell my steelies for $100, and THEN get these beauties!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #19

MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Maybe BFG KO's down the road !
I looked up the KO line, apparently they don't make a size that fits stock Tacoma sizes

They had Rugged Trail T/As though: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...a/tire-details
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's your truck. You are the one it has to make happy. :-)